Charlie69

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I found a 720 ST 2WD King Cab Z24 5spd 32 36 Weber,  It has the tac, clock, oil pressure and volt gauges , power windows and locks, moon roof (missing the glass), 3 aluminum ST wheels, and the stainless ST tail gate insert.  It has front end damage, bumper, hood, fenders and grill.  I will need to look it over more closely once I pick it up.  It I can replace the parts I just listed I will keep the ST whole and sell my red 86 KC.  I will determine this all after I get the ST home.

The only things I wanted that the ST does not have is an automatic transmission and a thumpin stereo.  But I have the automatic and I can install the sound.  Oh and I will have to change out the instrument cluster to the denmarkboy find.

• Like 3

I did not take any pictures yet.  I will when it is mine, The original color is pail yellow and someone did a real bad black flat black rattle can paint job.  Then it was tagged with white paint, 

The truck looks terrible.

Here are the pictures of the denmarkboy's unique 720 cluster installed in my King Cab.  And the clock works.  Not sure yet how accurate the clock is.  Thank you again denmarkboy! I will take it for a drive tomorrow and check out the rest of the instruments.

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

Interior shots

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

• Like 4

Well The 720 is going to have hold it's own for a while as I am starting a push on my 520 build.  Been cleaning the garage for 3 days and should have it done by Saturday.  It is getting old!  what I used to accomplish in a day now takes me a week.

Any way it is not to hot here yet so I will change out the bad temp gauge at a later date.

• Like 1

Gene Knight and I went to Prescott Valley yesterday to look for parts.  First found a 1987 Hardbody Z24 automatic and we proceeded to pull the engine and and harvest the starter and the flex plate with mounting hardware.  What I found was there was only a spacer on the transmission side of the the flex plate.

Drive (Flex) plate engine side.

DSC01848.jpg

Drive (Flex) Plate transmission side.

DSC01850.jpg

Spacer ring transmission side of flex plate.

DSC01847.jpg

I also scored a ST gauge cluster with clock and the tac.  Even better than that I scored a set of power doors.  I will be doing a comparison of my non power 86 doors with the 85 power doors.

We ran out of time so I need to go back and finish removing the wire harness from the power door tuck. 

I will use this harness to build the the harness for my 720 Z24 4 speed automatic.  I have 2 86.5 hardbody Z24 automatic 2 wheel drive harnesses that I will morph into the 720 harness.

I will also be going back for the for the sun roof.  This is an 85 720 4x4 ST truck that I am getting the power parts from.

• Like 2

Is the ST gauge cluster any different other than clock and tach? Id like to see those power doors, I remember someone telling me the panels look quite a bit different.

Excellent find! You'll have the most luxurious 720 out there!

• Like 1

Congrats!

That is so cool when you find a nice ST to harvest from! The cluster is especially great. And power windows?!? I have yet to see those, myself.  How were the carpets? I need me some black ST KC carpets!

• Like 2

Thank you It was fun to find another ST.  I still have my sights on the other one I found.

The truck was a 4X4 light metallic blue with a blue interior.  This truck had rust.  In northern AZ they do salt the roads.  The floors and front wheel wells were badly rusted out.  The carpet was trashed.

I hope to go back in a couple weeks to get a couple more things.

Had to catch up on my domestic duties today. I hope to be able to do the comparison tomorrow.

Are you using the d21 auto trans?

Not Yet I am still gathering parts and it is a major wiring chore.  I have to separate the wires I need from the D21 harness and morph them into the 720 harness and remove the wires no longer needed from the 720 Harness.  I am going to attempt to make the engine harness separate from the body harness.  I wish Icehouse made a CAN/AM box that included the automatic transmission.

Is the ST gauge cluster any different other than clock and tach? Id like to see those power doors, I remember someone telling me the panels look quite a bit different.

Excellent find! You'll have the most luxurious 720 out there!

Yes.

DSC01822.jpg

Congrats!

That is so cool when you find a nice ST to harvest from! The cluster is especially great. And power windows?!? I have yet to see those, myself.  How were the carpets? I need me some black ST KC carpets!

JC Whitney used to sell carpet kits for the 720 king cab and reg cabs.  I have used them in the past and was surprised at the quality and fit.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2029695/sku-9968674.jcwx?filterid=g694

• Like 2