Charlie69's 86 720 King Cab DD

Charlie69

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am dead in the water on this Z20 engine until I can locate and buy a Z20/Z22 intake manifold.  The manifold that came with the engine is a Z24manifold.

Z20 Z22 Intake manifold gasket

Z20-Z22-intake-manifold-gasket.jpg

Z24 Intake manifold gasket

Z24-intake-manifold-gasket.jpg

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

Wayno is hooking me up with the correct manifold.  Hopefully have it by next weekekend.

Mike on these different Z engine manifolds do they all have the same carb bolt pattern?

It is time to install new intake and exhaust manifold studs in the head. 

• Like 1

The two bolts on the Z24 secondary side are wider apart than the two on the primary. I think they are wider to accommodate the larger secondary barrel. If the Z20/22 carbs have this they should work on the Z24 intake.

I fit a Z24 carb to an earlier L series intake by ovaling the two holes on the carb base...

TcDFeaQ.jpg

• Like 2

Mike thank you for the information.  I gasket matched the Z24 intake manifold with the gasket for the Z20/Z22 and you are correct the Z24 manifold will work.  The problem I see with running the Z24 manifold would be flow, it looks like the flow of larger square ports of the Z24 manifold would be greatly restricted when hitting the smaller Z20 round ports in the head.  My question Mike is would this port size and shape change cause a major performance loss?

Edited by Charlie69

No. All I am running is a 1989 240sx kae intake on a 1995 kae truck block. Like yours the bolt holes match but the ports are different shapes. I have been running it that way for three years. Could it run better? Probably but that means swapping the car head on which I have but it should probably get a rebuild before installing.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The New Weber kit K662 came in today.  received a manual fuel pump block off plate last week.  I will be cleaning out my garage tomorrow and cleaning a few more parts tomorrow.  I think I will pull the seats and the dash, wiring, heater, AC, and blower boxes on Thursday to replace the carpet and the main wiring harness.  I have been blowing the clock fuse when ever I hit a ruff section of road.

I have been wanting to convert this truck to power doors and windows I have had for the last several years.  So this is a great time to swap the main harness out in preparation of the power doors.  If all goes well I will pull the engine and transmission and swap in the rebuilt Z20 and low mileage 5 speed.  This will most likely happen on Saturday the 16th and finish on Sunday the 17th.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I tore the interior out of this truck in December in preparation for new carpet and pad.  While apart I installed 2 new 4" speakers in the kick panels.  I have rewired my stereo.  Installed my dual USB charging ports where the cigarette lighter went.  I still have some lighting gremlins to work out.  Almost ready to swap the Z20 in.  When I pull the old Z24 5 speed out I will set it in my 84 2wd king cab ST.  I hope to have the engine swap done soon.

I tore my heater, AC, and blower boxes apart and cleaned them.  Redid all the foam seals and will be getting the evaporator cor cleaned tested and repaired in the next weak or two.   The heater core is good. 

I decided to do the new carpet and pad until the engine swap is done.  I will get a new bottle of Oxycodone and tear into the swap.  Drugs only after working on it not during.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Mounted a setof 2001 rodeo buckets in my 86 720 last Friday,  more comfortable but sit much higher than stock buckets.  I hit my head real hard getting out the first time only had to do that once and I learned to duck getting out.

Waiting on Shawn to pull his rebuilt Z24 from his 521.  That engine will go into this truck and my rebuilt Z20 will go into the 84 720 ST.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I found a real nice set of 720 ST cloth black seats at the wrecking yard they are now in this truck.  Installed all new carpet pad and great used front carpet from the 720 I got the seats out of.

I need to finish the back section of carpet have a new bulk piece of carpet as the stock king cab carpet has cut outs for the rear jump seats.

Told Mike Klotz I was going to do that and maybe a new clutch today but Mauro a person I sold a 71 521 to a few years ago came by to replace his fuse box and of course his painter plugged in several wires and head light plugs wrong and it burned up some of the wiring that I had repaced several months ago from one of his "mechanics" (I use this term real loosely) installed a after market headlight switch, tossed the headlight relay and wired in a Chinese Bosch style relay.  This wiring wizardry ended up burning up the dash harness.  Next Saturday I will build a new tail light harness as the painter plugged the the side marker light hot wire into a ground burned up that harness also.  When I get all this wiring fixed again I am going to tell Mauro do not bring the truck back to me after someone else screws up the wiring I will not fix it again.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1