Charlie69's 86 720 King Cab DD

Charlie69

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was able to install my New to me used Kenwood head unit today.  I do not remember the model but for $14 with the remote I am happy it works!  Pictures after I pull the dash and install the 1985 ST power window & door lock harness.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Worked on my 86 King Cab daily driver today.  Shawn Drawdy and  Robit one of the Guam boys came over and did the front brakes and checked the the rear brakes,  New rotors, loaded calipers, wheel bearings, and seals.

The axle bearings are starting to feel ruff.  I have a rear end at Tom's house.  So next weekend I will get the rear end hear and we will swap rear ends soon.

Now I can drive to physical therapy.

I found out I can do some of the work but I have to be real careful not to bang or kneel on my new knee.  LOL

• Like 2

Thank you KoHeartsGPA.

Well got up early and cleaned up the mesh from yesterday.  Cleaned the garage so I can work on my 520 this week.  I have a lot to do before the SWDP Barbecue the end of August.

Body work and paint will not be done but I am going to put it together so I can drive it to the Barbecue in Fontana CA.

• Like 1

Went to Tom's this morning and he helped me load the rear end into my 86 King Cab.  he followed me home and helped me unload it.

Robit did not show up so Gene had a co worker cover part of his shift today so he could help me swap rear ends.  Gene did most of the work today.  We got the rear end swapped but have to change out the parking brake cables and bleed the rear brakes..  I will try to get that done on Wednesday with Gene's help.

Tuesday morning Gene and I are headed up to Mark's (PCD) in Bullhead City AZ to pickup a 521 roof that he is giving to Shawn Drawdy for his 521.  Shawn has a really customized 521 vert.  It was great up North where you all have limited sunshine but down here in the Valley of the Sun he is getting cooked using his vert as a daily driver.

We will also be hitting our favorite Kingman AZ wrecking yard while we are there.

• Like 1

Gene and I went to Kingman and Bullhead City AZ on Tuesday.  The purpose of this trip was to get Shawn Brawdy a 521 roof section that Mark (Pacific Coast Datsun PCD) is donating to Shawn to help provide some much needed shade for Shawn.

We hit the Kingman wrecking yard about 1 pm and did mot leave until 4:30 pm.  I love wrecking yards.  I picked up a matchbox and a Z22 aluminum valve cover for Robit.  I also got some misc. little parts for my 520.

I also will be getting a 1985 720 ST next trip.  It will be missing engine, transmission, 1 ST wheel, and the sunroof glass.  It will need some radiator support straightening and fenders and hood.  It has power doors and windows, full gauges and a straight tailgate.  I have the engine transmission, hood, fenders, and factory sunroof glass and rubber.

Gene picked up some Datsun L motor valve covers, a early 620 grill, and a matchbox distributor. We had dinner with Mark and Tony (Nev Tony) SWDP Club Brothers in Bullhead City.  We made it home safely about 11 pm.  Great visit guys.

Gene came over today and helped me get the e brake cables swapped out form the rear end change and the we took it to Brakes plus and had the brake system flushed.

Brakes work great now.  Thank you again Gene for everything you do to help me and others.

I found out that I am not ready to travel long distance with my new knee.  I was miserable!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The earliest I have seen personally I an 84.  The switch plastics I have were out of a red King Cab 4x4 with a black interior.  I have only seen ST in black and tan interiors.  That does not mean they did not come in other colors.  Datzenmike probably knows.

I scored a set of light blue metallic ST electric doors that had blue door cards of an 85 4x4.  I took the complete harness also.  This truck had the TBI instead of a carb.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

My 86 received some love today, swapped rear bumpers.

DSC02630.jpg

I need to clean this truck up and get it ready to go through emissions next month.

I also need to repair the speedometer and the gas gauge.  Oil change and filter.  Cleanup under the hood and wash and clean interior.

• Like 2

Like the new bumper, Sounds like you have a real chore list percolating there...

Did you ever find seat covers? I got an email from someone who said that you can get 720 seat rebuild kits from Aussie, but I haven‘t seen proof yet. Know anything about this?

• Like 1

I have not heard anything of the seat rebuild kits from Aussie, but I will start looking.

I have driven this truck twice to the grocery store since I broke my hip in February.  It is time to get out of the recliner and get to work on my trucks!  LOL

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...