Charlie69's 86 720 King Cab DD

Charlie69

Saturday is 720 day for me.  It is time to get through emissions so new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, and and carb clean.  Check timing and adjust valves.  I have drove it hard and put it away wet for 5 years now so I guess it is time to show it some luv!

Might even run a compression test.  No I really do not want to know what the compression is.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well 720 luv is pushed back to next Saturday as I am taking care of Gene Knights pets while he is at Canby.  I also want to run some Sea Foam through with a tank of gas.  And run some Marvel Mystery Oil in my engine oil before I do an oil change. 

I do have all the tune up parts ready for next Saturday.

• Like 1

Well the 720 ate a left front inner wheel bearing.  I pulled my lower back muscles on Sunday evening moving my 520 chassis.  Gene Knight came over this afternoon and put new wheel bearings in for me.  I will be needing to put new front pads on soon so at that time I will replace the front wheel bearings on the other side.

I will work on the tuneup and run it through emissions on Saturday.

I had to pull the left front caliper of and straighten the pad clips and re-install.  I hope to get tuneup done this week.  I could not find my plug gapping tool.  Next Saturday is the day for emissions testing.

On my way home today I hear a weird noise from the left rear.  It is either a brake making noise or I have an axle bearing going out. I will jack it up in the morning after I do the tuneup and find out what it is.

Well me and Charlie inspected the rear brakes, and if any slop in the rear differential/axle play, took it for a drive and at first it was making noise when turning left, then it happened when turning right, then going straight but we went to a big parking lot and started doing donuts by turning left and it started making noise worse than right while I was standing in parking lot to listen for noise and it was coming from left front wheel real bad so it seems we need to rebuild the braking system on his truck after he buys parts

• Like 2

Mark as rusty as this truck is we won't need to cut the roof off!  LOL

Gene came over today and we stripped the 520 chassis and got it out of the garage.  He is buying all the front suspension and steering parts parts.  The Mike Klotz disk brake kit will soon be on Grimace.

The money from the parts will buy front and rear brakes for my King cab and also buy the brakes for the 1980 chassis for my 520.  Of course the 1980 chassis has stock non vented rotors but that is soon going to change.  The parts are being ordered to get the late model 720 vented rotors and the bigger calipers.  This will also include a set of 2" drop spindles on the 1980 chassis for my 520.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Charlie,

I just signed up on the site today because I am in the process of purchasing and 84 720 King Cab.

When I read the title of your post I decided to check it out since that's going to be what I am getting into. 2 lines into your first post, you drop the name of my home town!

Felt good reading your story!

Once I get the truck around the 15th I will hopefully be able to post pictures.

Glad I found the community here is alive and well, it was starting to look grim on the interwebs for any place to get help and join in on the community of datsun/nissan!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome daniel5on!  Ratsun Rocks but remember one thing we are a bunch of old grump bastards!  LOL

I think I saw your post.  When things slow down for me I will search your screen name and reread your post.  Been busy healing from my nose surgery and trying to get my 520 ready for the SWDP Barbecue.

I love my 86 720 king cab.  Back in 2000 I bought a 2000 Frontier King Cab to give my 70 521 daily driver a rest.  I kept it for a year and sold it.  I liked my 70 521 better.

I am considering buying a 2005 and up Frontier Quad Cab so I can take my Great Dane Darla Rose with me.

DSC01977.jpg

daniel5on you live in Elko.  I lived in Carlin and Battle Mountain while I was driving gold ore trucks for Davis Trucking. I shopped and sought out entertainment in Elko and once in a while Winnemucca.

Bought my home electronics from Brad at Encore Audio Visual Design in Elko.  The wrecking yard in Battle Mountain was the only one around for miles.  I don't remember the guys name that ran it but was a good person to deal with.  I gave them an 84 parts truck when I came home to AZ.

I also made a habit of the Sushi bar next to Encore.  I loved the $35 all you can eat deal they had there.

Small world.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the old King Cab keeps on ticking.  I have had 3 flats in less than a week.  But that is OK as I have access to cheap tire repairs. 

The last oil change I did I thought I put regular 10/40 in and it turned out to be Castrol Full Synthetic 10/40.  The problems I have with synthetic is it pushes past the seals.  So next oil change I will read the label better.  Although I only paid 17.95 for the synthetic 5 quart jug  at Walmart.

• 3 weeks later...

Used my King Cab to make a junk yard run today.  I got the 2wd one today and the 4wd one last week.  I will test them to see if the speedos, the tacs, and the clocks work. If they test good then I will clean them up and offer them for sale, if there are problems with them I will return for yard credit.

1983 720 2wd King Cab Z22 5 speed 3.89 rear end ratio factory AM FM Cassette that some one tore the face and knobs off of..

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

1983 720 4wd Z22 5 speed 4.11 rear end ratio sun roof power windows and door locks

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

• Like 1