Charlie69's 86 720 King Cab DD

Charlie69

You asked to see them Here you go!  When I have more time I will photo chop explanations in to point out the differences in the manual and electric doors.  I do know that the handles hinges and the inside door handle rod s are the same as I used one from my manual door in the electric door..

Electric doors.

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the little plastic panel on the back bottom corner of the door cards, that's always the worst part of them in my experience.

Ahh I thought you meant there was a different cluster that came in an ST, I'm familiar with YOUR ST gauge :)

• Like 1

The plastic cover you mention is to cover the bump out for the electric lock solenoid.  I will do a writeup on the differences of the 2 door styles in the near future.

The plastic on the top of the door panel is deteriorated so I am going to use the metal tops from a set of 1980 door panels.  I will have to do some trimming on the metal tops to get them fit the doors.

• Like 1

Thank you Brohemius.  This is only the fourth set I have personally seen in a junk yard in the last 20 plus years.  Back in the early 90's a friend of mine had an 85 king cab ST with the power doors and sun roof. There is some welding and some body work needed on the drivers door.  Someone removed the outside door handle with a pry bar.

• Like 1

Yesterday Gene Knight and I went to the Prescott Valley Wrecking Yard again to get the wiring harness for the power door locks and windows.  Found that and as soon as I get it cleaned up I will have a little something for sale that might interest the guys with the early model 720s, but more on that later.

I am so tired right now that I can not remember what all I got at the junk yard.  I will update more after some sleep.

• Like 1

The king cab was the tow vehicle today for the 80 720 chassis.  towed from genes house to the car was to my house.

Gene noticed a puddle of liquid under my king cab.  I had it sitting there idling for a couple minutes while we hooked up the tow bar.  It was gas.  so Gene and I tried tightening hose clamps and the did not fix it.

I have to replace the fuel lines on top of the tank.

I paid a shop in Battle Mountain Nevada to replace all the lines and to drop the tank to replace the ones that are now leaking.  They are the original gas lines on there so I got shafted.

Any way first thing tomorrow I will pull the bed and replace all the fuel lines and fuel filter.

Here is what I picked up.  I also have the pig tail that goes with this cluster.

DSC01880.jpg

very nice.....I sit behind the same cluster in my 80kc(ONLY 90k miles!).i'll bet u a cold pepsi the clock doesn't work though. I resorted to installing a AA battery powered 'movement' and retrofitted the 'hands'. I have yet 2 find ONE 70-80s nissan clock that works.....pickups or sentras. I think our Pac-northwest  humidity is a major culprit.

• Like 1

I will check the clock and the tac when I get a chance.  I should work as it is an AZ truck part.  But it is from Prescott AZ and they salt the roads there and have cold winters.

My pops grew up in northern Ontario Canada(grandfather hard-rock nickle miner)where they salt the roads. When he came to utah/cali in the 70's he saw all the cars that rotted away when he was a kid......still solid and driving. He has close to 50 classic cars......I'm trying to keep my collection under a dozen.

• Like 1

Dropped the tank on  the King Cab to replace fuel hoses on Monday.  While I had the tank out I checked the fit of a 1986.5 Hardbody (D21) 2WD King Cab tank I have for the Z24I conversion.  Using the rear Hardbody tank bracket the tank bolted in at the rear with no problems.  The hard body tank is shorter and taller the the 720 2WD king cab tank.

The front Hardbody Tank Mount will have to be modified to make work.  I will do a write up when I actually do the swap.

Replaced all the fuel hoses at the tank and the pump.  No more fuel leak.

• Like 2

Well I went through my stash of 8 720 instrument clusters today and put together 6 good ones.  I cleaned and reworked the denmarkboy cluster and now the temp gauge works.  Changed out the needles on all but the clock and the tach.  Could not see the needles at night.  I still need to change the tach but I need to find one I have loose here, somewhere.

All gauges work again in my King Cab.

• Like 1

The early square cluster is for sale and if it does not sale then in becomes garage art as I have a black dash that will hang with it on the wall.

Hope to test clock today I did not get it done yesterday.