Charlie69's 86 720 King Cab DD

Charlie69

I have been avoiding this but here it is my 86 720 king cab $900 wonder.  I purchased this in Elko Nevada in June of 2011.  Immediately ordered a Weber Kit from Pierce Manifolds.  Installed that and flushed the power steering.  Complete Rock Auto tuneup.  New Hoses and belts.  Had radiator flushed and oil changed to a 10w30 Blend.  New exhaust manifold and complete new exhaust minus the cat.  The shop in Elko Nevada for some reason wanted an extra $200 to put the cat back in.  about a year later it was time for more Maintenance so I put tires, brakes, everything replaced except master cylinder and power booster.  Also replaced u-joints, carrier bearing, and transmission and rear end fluids.  Had radiator flushed and winterized each fall.

Well I loaded up a 6 x 12 single axle Uhaul trailer with as much Datsun parts as I could, my 50" plasma and my surround sound and miscellaneous tools.  All my personal belongings went in the king cab portion of the truck. And on Sunday December 15 2013 at 2:30 pm I left my 12 x 40 storage shed In My Buddy Alan's hands and headed home to Phoenix in my little 86 720 king cab.

Leaving Battle Mountain Nevada there is a mountain range I had to climb and it was 5 to 10 mile an hour up the grades,  I stopped and fueled up after about 90 miles and checked everything as I had been climbing but the worst of the climb was still ahead of me.  I climbed up into the dark of night and found my way to Beatty Nevada and decided to get a room and eat.  The next morning I left my hotel and continued South out of Beatty looking for a gas station as I had not filled up the night before.  Well the only gas station in Beatty was on the North end of town and I had past it on my way in the night before.  I had a little over a quarter tank and chose to risk it and forge on.  About an hour layer I had not found gas and was starting to sweat it as I was slowly approaching another Mountain range and new I did not have enough gas to make it over that.  well I rounded a curve at the base of the mountain range and there it was a cafe/gas station/convenience store/parlor.  Yes I food, gas, and then some!

I finally got home about 5:30 Monday evening.  I had not been home for 19 months and I was Happy to see it.

The little 720 did not miss a lick on the trip.  Oh I forgot to mention when I bought the little truck It showed 190,000 + on the broken odometer.  She might be rough but she is dependable!

I will ad pictures tomorrow as I can not find any at this time.

• Like 6
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno I just used, I think the blue wire for the electric choke .  I do not have a fuel cut solenoid on mine, I will be installing one before next summer.

I have had a few Z24 engines and people are commenting that the blocks crack and they are correct.  The Z24 does not do well when over heated or run low or no anti freeze.

Same with mine, only the choke wire was connected up, is that all there is to it?

I don't need a fuel cutoff solenoid, the way I shut off my truck by having it in gear, putting it in first and letting out the clutch and turning off the key at the same time is a habit now, I don't even know I am doing it, and I do it on everything, there was even a comment made at the Datslocos meet Friday night about when I shut down the diesel engine, a guy asked me if that is how I had to shut it down, I said "no it is not, it's a habit", I got this habit from my L20b with dual SUs, it's hard to not do it, as my work truck diesels to this day if I let it.

Wayno I just used, I think the blue wire for the electric choke .  I do not have a fuel cut solenoid on mine, I will be installing one before next summer.

• Like 1

The guy in the white van stopped when he saw me taking pictures and asked how much?  I told him my Datsuns are not for sale sir, they will be buried with me!

DSC01779.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

Your truck is not ugly, this below is ugly, custom grill and all. :lol:

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

The engine ran, I drove it into position behind the tow vehicle, the guy I bought it from was stunned that it started, I think he thought he should have asked for more money.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Wayno you got me beat on ugly!  Damn that grill would look best on the bottom of a scrap pile.

The doors are off of a 1980 parts truck.  I am working on the factory doors trying to mod in stock power windows and door locks.  Not sure what is different in a 720 power door and a 720 non power door but the parts manual shows the power doors as a different part number.

When I bought the truck it had a rusted out aftermarket fender on it.  after returning home from Nevada I shut the drivers door a little hard and a third of that fender fell off.  I got a stock white fender from Ecology and painted it Rustoleum Safety Red.

I got a free after market 4x4 chrome grill and added it.  Installed all new Wagner halogen headlights. 

It is due an oil change.

A guy I know had a set of ST power doors a while back, they are different, different door cards, arm rests, everything was different.

I usually see one of the ST trucks in the wrecking yard at least once a year, but I don't go as often anymore.

Is this something you are trying to get done soon, or can you wait till Canby?

BTW, I saved that grill, it is somewhere around here. :lol:

• Like 2

Wayno that is funny you saved that grill!

I am not in a hurry on the doors.  My DD goes point A to point B just fine with the 1980 doors on it.

I have all the electric window and lock parts, even the power switch parts including the plastic part that holds the switches to the door.  I also have all the factory wiring and relays.  I have not tried installing the electrics in my doors.  If I can not make them work in my doors I will have to find a set of electric ST doors.

Not all STs had power doors.

You are likely right, I just have never seen electric windows on anything other than a ST truck.

It seems like every truck that had an electric window package that I have seen had a tan interior also, but I know that can't be anything other than a coincidence.

What years were ST trucks made?

Wayno that is funny you saved that grill!

I am not in a hurry on the doors.  My DD goes point A to point B just fine with the 1980 doors on it.

I have all the electric window and lock parts, even the power switch parts including the plastic part that holds the switches to the door.  I also have all the factory wiring and relays.  I have not tried installing the electrics in my doors.  If I can not make them work in my doors I will have to find a set of electric ST doors.

Not all STs had power doors.

• Like 1

The earliest I have seen personally I an 84.  The switch plastics I have were out of a red King Cab 4x4 with a black interior.  I have only seen ST in black and tan interiors.  That does not mean they did not come in other colors.  Datzenmike probably knows.

Man, I dig that grille! Somebody started with a jug of wine and a cutting torch and just went for it. Love that flatbed, too.

I think the grill maker also was blind!  LOL

I will post some interior pictures, but I will warn you now I use the truck as a storage shed as well as a daily driver.

That whole truck bed was purpose built to haul one thing, and once they quit making that thing, they let it sit for over a year, there was green moss on the tires near the ground it had sat so long in one spot, I think that was why the guy was stunned that I got it started.

It was in Ballard WA right next to the Puget Sound salt water, that is why it is rust color, the frame became the front half of my 720 diesel with a great 1980 kingcab cab.

These two trucks in the photo below,

DSCF0023.JPG

became this truck.

DSCN0055.JPG

• Like 6

Gotta join the ug fabbed front end crew...

Had apparent front end damage n so they took some sheet metal and squared tubing n framed this up... wouldn't doubt it if they fabbed the bumper too.... ridiculous cause it was a desert truck, radiator was exposed and I managed to tear everything off a donor truck to bring it back to stock n it fit up fine for prob less than what they put on it...

new006.jpg

new017.jpg

new020.jpg

And yes... they put 4runner wheels on it... lol...

As it sits today...

2013-07-28190459_zpsb6194489.png

Sanded it to repaint but moved to a new area where I can't be fuming out the neighbors with rattle cans... prob do it a can at a time..

• Like 4

Poopypants720 take your truck and your paint out away from any residential area.  A closed abandon warehouse parking lot works.  I have had to do this many times as I could not work on my trucks where I lived.  Be sure that you are not at a posted no trespassing area.  I have had police come up and usually if I am decent with them they do not hassle me.  Always clean up any mess you make.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I received this the other day from denmarkboy, and yes it is the gauge cluster that has the funky coloring and the gold painted pointers and the little purple rocks by the clock numbers. I plan on installing it this week.  More pictures when it happens.  This is a CA emissions cluster so I have all the extra plugins but I will not use them. Not Needed.

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01793.jpg

• Like 3