520 chassis swap

tavilas

I have decided to do a chassis swap for my 520

I have seen a few discutions on ratsun and they are owesome, but

I am cooking a deal to get my hands on a mitsubitshi mighty max.

has any one tried to do a swap using a mitsubishi truck? I know their are some mods ivolved like shortening the frame or extending the bed/cab.

Please share the experience cons and pros ect.

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a 520 on a what I believe to be a 1980 mighty max D50 frame.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40850-tendrils-67-pantydropping-black-cherry-pearl-popping-520-now-with-turbo-dohc-body-drop-and-4-link-with-bags-or-coilovers-not-sure-maybe-both/?do=findComment&comment=644427

I don't know why the thread was locked, but he got fairly far along on it, enough to know what issues you will likely be having.

• Like 1

First question I have is Why do you want to switch the chassis?

Second is Do you have the skills needed for such an adventure?

Third Do you have the tools required to do this?

Forth Do you have a place to do this lengthy job?

Fifth Why don't you use a 720 chassis?

Sixth How are you going to register it in California?

The 720 chassis is a much easier swap.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input is very much apreciated and right at this point I am considering all possible options and you guys are right the best option so far is a 720 only thing is I live in central Ca. And a 720

is as good as gold , a true clasic and very cherished so it is very hard for me to buy one on my budget

I guess I could be more patient and wait for the right deal at the right moment

thanks all three of you once againg for your help

tavilas

• Like 1

King,

I used to believe that he same thing and chopping a frame wasn't an ideal option for me until I met a mechanic and he's done more then a few updated suspention clips on old trucks and I must say he is very talented he is the one the sujested modifying the frame in ca see I have to , so on that note I think I have a few options to work with

• Like 1

Keep your eyes on Craigslist Find one that runs and drives but the body is trashed by dents and r or rust.  Patience and you will find what you want.

Please read through my 66 520 build thread to see what I have done to make a L20B and an automatic fit.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9197-charlie69s-66-520-build/

I have been on this project for years and I am not the fastest person but this is why I asked the questions I asked.  I am not trying to change your mind butt to ask questions to help you understand what are some of the pit falls you will run into. 

Here is what Wayno posted about the 720 chassis swap.  He has done both 520 and 521 720 chassis swaps and is setting up to do another one.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9197-charlie69s-66-520-build/page-19?do=findComment&comment=1190076

Make sure you own both frames as welding the front on also changes the VIN stamped on it. Not likely you will get stopped and checked but they sure won't match and one could be stolen or salvage. It would be illegal to later sell it without notifying the new owner. (fraud) Also if swapping body to newer frame and running gear, what ever make, it has to pass smog inspection for that year and a visual. Again not likely you will get stopped in what outwardly appears to be a non smog vehicle, but...

• Like 1

Make sure you own both frames as welding the front on also changes the VIN stamped on it. Not likely you will get stopped and checked but they sure won't match and one could be stolen or salvage. It would be illegal to later sell it without notifying the new owner. (fraud) Also if swapping body to newer frame and running gear, what ever make, it has to pass smog inspection for that year and a visual. Again not likely you will get stopped in what outwardly appears to be a non smog vehicle, but...

yup, which is just another reason to do mods to the existing frame, rather than swap frames.
  • Like 1

I was consdering disc brakes, but don't how reliable a disc bfake kit coul be

if I do frame swap, all of that is taken care of

I have read a few threads and the idea of power brakes, power steering, and multiple power options on a clasic truck is very appealing

• Like 1

It's doable but before you do it decide what it really is you want to accomplish .

The heavier frame will need a bigger motor. Well you would want one at least

Bigger motor bigger engine bay =cut up firewall

You will get larger brakes and more updated front suspension

I will be cutting up my frame again to 4 link it anyway

The cab mounts areas are quite different but I'm completely replacing my front floor pans and have body dropped it so won't affect me.

As for the bed mounts the were not a direct bolt on either. The frame will always show unless you body drop it and it looks funny to me with the frame showing

Body lines will be a pita to line up (cab to bed) because the bed will probably sit higher than you have to either raise the cab or drop the bed than there's thecab to bed gap which I was fighting but than decided to 4 link coilover/bag so I can move me axle wherever I want

Figure out what you want to achieve before you dive in and talk to us and ask all the questions you want and can there are no dumb questions

• Like 2

One thing you should realize is the engine compartment from the fire wall to the radiator support  is 5 inches less than a 521.  This creates problems with motor swap/frame swaps.  Listen to Wayno and read my build thread thoroughly and it will help you end up with a drivable truck and not a pile scrap metal.  Someone that has not swapped a motor or a frame on a 520 has no business recommending swaps!  They do not know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

I think I speak for everyone when I say lets see this truck and post moar pics otherwise none of us can really point you in a logical way , hypothetical ways only at this point.

And I should say I'm only doing what I am to my truck because I got it already swapped and cut up. It was my first ever vehicle and It has nostalgia with me.

And knowing what I do now I would never do this to a clean 520

as it has been a long road and still a ways to go I would recommend keeping it simple and positive and have fun with little things such as brake/ suspension/ motor upgrades

• Like 2