My 720 z22 turbo build (Pic Heavy)

82turbo720

Small update got the exhaust done today went with 2" to the back the turbo sounds amazing out the back much nicer to drive and a lot more smell friendly in the cab my fiance didn't wanna ride in it cause she's preggers and the smell of gas is apparently not good for our baby haha should be a whole lot easier to put this last 250 miles on her! Suppose I should get a video of the sound of her.

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the last bit of info was in regards to the skyline rb25det turbo. And its a T3 flange. The T25 and T28 turbos from the S-series of nissans aren't ball bearing turbos except for the T28 from a S15 Silvia which I believe is a ball bearing turbo. But they're still good turbos and should do well on your 2.2l, the t25 might run out of juice pretty fast since it's primary application was the 1.8l CA18DET engine though.

I agree with the man above, you should get a Z18ET turbo valvecover :)

th_IMAG0169.jpg

Wish i had that exhaust manifold from one of these!

• Like 1

Last few things i need to order for after break in are as follows

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370895377265

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171494165295

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400343610177

Then ill be 100% done and ready to get some boost to this thing! Would eventually like to upgrade my ignition with a msd 6al and a msd boost timing retard then id be super happy but thats 800.00+ dollars alone and im afraid it can wait!

Also im in need of the inline resistor for the tach found that is the reason it isn't working the piece is there but looks all chewed up and the legs of the resistor are no longer connected! Get paid in a week so im gonna get the rising rate regulator and AFR gauge ordered up. That carb hat is gonna have to wait until i either find a better deal or find something similar for a good price!

• Like 1

You should keep an eye out on eBay or yahoo.jp auctions fit a z18et valve cover. Never produced stateside, but you can find them sometimes. It's the one factory turbo z series engine and the valve cover is great. Pic posting isn't working from my phone, so Google the z18et and check it out.

Is the Subaru turbo you are running a vf series, like a vf39? Forester, wrx, sti? Which 2.5 engine is it from?

Sorry lockleaf i missed your post the turbo im running is a Ko3 from a 1.8L 2003 audi quattro a4.

• Like 2

Last few things i need to order for after break in are as follows 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370895377265

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171494165295

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400343610177

Then ill be 100% done and ready to get some boost to this thing! Would eventually like to upgrade my ignition with a msd 6al and a msd boost timing retard then id be super happy but thats 800.00+ dollars alone and im afraid it cant wait!

Also im in need of the inline resistor for the tach found that is the reason it isn't working the piece is there but looks all chewed up and the legs of the resistor are no longer connected! Get paid in a week so im gonna get the rising rate regulator and AFR gauge ordered up. That carb hat is gonna have to wait until i either find a better deal or find something similar for a good price! 

1/  $200 for a pipe? You could have something made for less. Spend the savings on an exhaust gas temp gauge.

2/  Fuel pressure regulator... not needed. Unless it increases the pressure in relation to the boost and stays 3 PSI higher at all times. Without it a 3 PSI boost will stop fuel flow into the carb. For this you will need a fuel pump that puts out at least 3 PSI higher than you plan to use.

3/  Wide band? Absolutely

Any 2.2K ohm 1 watt resister from Radio Shack soldered in line will do.

MSD 6al is not an upgrade. The factory ignition is way more than you will ever need. The boost retard is a solid idea though.

• Like 2

1/ $200 for a pipe? You could have something made for less. Spend the savings on an exhaust gas temp gauge.

2/ Fuel pressure regulator... not needed. Unless it increases the pressure in relation to the boost and stays 3 PSI higher at all times. Without it a 3 PSI boost will stop fuel flow into the carb. For this you will need a fuel pump that puts out at least 3 PSI higher than you plan to use.

3/ Wide band? Absolutely

Any 2.2K ohm 1 watt resister from Radio Shack soldered in line will do.

MSD 6al is not an upgrade. The factory ignition is way more than you will ever need. The boost retard is a solid idea though.

It's a quality carb hat with vent tube extensions built in helps get the carb dialed In and keeps me from having to run massive jets so my cruise isn't rich.

the regulator is a rising rate one holleys run 7psi stock and I was told that I have to run a 1:1 regulator to always keep fuel pressure at 7psi cause the fuel bowl sees all the positive pressure so if I run 10psi I have to have 17 psi of pressure at the bowl to maintain my 7 psi fuel pressure. I bought a Bosch efi pump capable of 75 psi at 12v but I'll regulate it down to 7 so I have room for improvement

.. unfortunately with the msd boost retard I have to run the ignition box with it at least they list that you have to. Thanks for the replys Mike I always look forward to your feedback!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys been awhile since ive done an update! Got just over 300 miles on the truck! almost there hard to get miles on this thing with work and only living 2 blocks away from work! Just been driving it every chance i get!   Had some wierd ticking noise started about 4 days ago found that it was coming from the bottom end and i could feel the noise on the oil pain I thought the worst right away! Upon removing the oil pan i first seen the big chunks of metal :sick: thinking bearings thankfully it was not I discovered the oil pan had been been slightly bent upward and the baffle inside was being hit by the rod bolt so got a dolly an hammer pinged it back into place and all is well. Talk about a hectic night!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of updates New video on 8 psi an a bad picture of my engine 

IMAG0116.jpg

Motor is all apart again bad piston in #2 cylinder ringland broke explains all the smoke from my block/valve cover will be back together by sunday! 4 new pistons and new rings are on the way supposed to be here by friday! 

Will have to get pic's of the front mount intercooler forgot all about it until i seen the charge pipes in my picture!

• Like 2

82turbo720

i like the build, i also have the only one that i cab find z24 big turbo e85 blow through setup on my 720. would like to see and hear yours run on your setup. i didnt even get a chance to run regular gas in mine, but the e85 works wonders under boost :thumbup:

• Like 1

i also had problems breaking ring lands on my aftermarket pistons. so i had a buddy of mine get in touch with a company he does business with and now im running all forged internals capable of 900+hp and i run 22-25psi in boost with no problems now.

Are u still buddies with him? If so id be interested in getting some pricing on a set of those pistons! Im going to convert to e85 this time so i can run less timing gonna run water/meth to so i can stay ultra safe!

• Like 1

yeah im still buddies with him, we actually have our own performance team. make sure too delete your timing advance and if you run meth injection to make sure you control the flow of meth in combination with fuel. had a buddy that just through a meth kit on and started using it with e85 and hydrolocked his motor

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...