Bought a 720, 1982, what's she worth!

ryanthomas1

I bought a 1982 Datsun kin cab 2wd Z22 engine, automatic with 66,000 original miles , new flat black paint, 0 rust, blazer bucket seats, red wheels with whitewall tires, lowered six inches tinted windows , and a stereo with 2 15" subs and a tweeter bar in the back, and custom bumpers, and chrome trim, very nice truck, I bought for 2500, the stereo is estimated at 1,800$ alone, what is he worth?

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ryan and welcome to Ratsun. Your truck is worth... $2,500. :lol:  It's a matter of how many there are in your area, (supply) probably not many if SD is like Montana, and how big the market (demand) there is for them. Again probably everyone wants a chev or something.  Don't read too much into this but in pristine condition it may be worth $3,500 very hard to say. One thing for sure there's no money in them, it's a very niche market.

Best thing? forget about what it 'might' be worth, and enjoy it for what it is. They are a great little truck and I would imagine somewhat rare where you are. I love driving my 710 around town. Guaranteed someone will ask at the pump "what's that?" or "I (or my dad) used to have one". There's a certain coolness associated with ignoring the latest car offerings out there every year and respecting the old from a simpler time. 

So what are your plans for it? Can you post some pictures?   

• Like 3

It really depends on what type of device you use to access the internet, from a desktop using chrome, I would open a Picasa photo hosting account, once the photos you want to post are uploaded to the account, click on the photo you want to post, now only that photo will be showing, right click on the image, a few choices will appear, left click on "copy image", then go to your reply here, left click in the field, right click and paste it in the reply.

If you use photobucket you want the IMG code, but it's a lot harder to describe how to use that hosting account.

• Like 2

If your truck only has 66k.....selling it will only cost you money. Even if you got $5000 youd B losing. Ditch the window tint, put ride ht back to stock and drive the wheels off of it!! Had one 720 w/ 298k that I often redline speed shifted....usually with BIG trailer. I put 15k on truck and sold it. BURNED ZERO OIL @ almost 300K and I know with less abusive treatment it would of made it 2 Florida and back(im in Oregon). Give your datto love and it will humbly love you back.

• Like 2

If your truck only has 66k.....selling it will only cost you money. Even if you got $5000 youd B losing. Ditch the window tint, put ride ht back to stock and drive the wheels off of it!! Had one 720 w/ 298k that I often redline speed shifted....usually with BIG trailer. I put 15k on truck and sold it. BURNED ZERO OIL @ almost 300K and I know with less abusive treatment it would of made it 2 Florida and back(im in Oregon). Give your datto love and it will humbly love you back.

Why does it have to be stock height for him to drive it..

Sounds like a dope truck though lets see it.

• Like 2

The stock suspension is designed to run properly in a narrow margin. You will get the most out of it this way. Lowered 6 inches is obviously an exaggeration but if maxed out, there will be bump steer and the camber will be beyond adjustment range and bottoming out damage a real possibility. Not to mention how well it was done by some six toe hillbilly with a stick welder.

• Like 4

I had a shit fit of trouble trying to get photos up when I started. It's still not the easiest nor simplest even when you do figure it out. If you need help, just ask brah. We are all anxious as shit for some photos! (oics ;) ) It's what gets some of us out of bed every morning.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If you'all want a lowered truck....put a LOAD on it. SEE PIC :thumbup: Your truck will B happier if you 'work' it. 'Work' it often enough, truck will pay for itself!! 1800lbs payload  will give you about an inch of suspension travel in the rear. Believe it or not....I once hauled 3068lbs of cast iron in the back of a bone stock 720(235-60-15 tires). Drove it 35 miles...cautiously and carefully. My datsuns haul/do more in a year than the average full size p/u does in a decade.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

I have an 84 King Cab ST, an 85 King Cab ST, and my DD is an 86 King Cab, all being Z24 5 speed 2 wheel drive trucks and I did not pay $2500 for all 3 of them.

As far as the $1800 stereo is possibly what parts and installation cost new.  Yo would have to list the coponents and price them out on the internet.  The rule of thumb I use for used items is 50% the cost of new if in good working order.

• Like 1