What is wrong with Ratsun, can it be fixed?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but you guys keep asking what's wrong with telling someone to search, so there's my $.02.

I see nothing wrong suggesting a search for the reasons given earlier. I often prime the pump with one or several search answer posts and what search words to use (not little black box) how I arrived at them and how easy and fast it was. This way they can look up themselves for even more. If there isn't time for me, I check first that the search words will get the results and then suggest them to the poster. I do not simply say... Use the goddamn search noob! I don't approve of others doing the same.

If someone would leave this forum because they see someone tell someone to use the search what does that say?, or if someone comes here for info and can't eat solid food and don't come back again, then they didn't want it too bad.

As for posting answers I do what I can, make suggestions and if not point in some direction. I have over 1,000+ old P/Ms since I last erased them, of which 800+ were sent to me usually with a question to answer. I suggest a search rarely, compared to how many answers made in full. Go ahead anyone, check any first post where I've replied and find the ones where search is mentioned.

• Like 2

I see nothing wrong suggesting a search for the reasons given earlier. I often prime the pump with one or several search answer posts and what search words to use (not little black box) how I arrived at them and how easy and fast it was. This way they can look up themselves for even more. If there isn't time for me, I check first that the search words will get the results and then suggest them to the poster. I do not simply say... Use the goddamn search noob! I don't approve of others doing the same.

If someone would leave this forum because they see someone tell someone to use the search what does that say?, or if someone comes here for info and can't eat solid food and don't come back again, then they didn't want it too bad.

As for posting answers I do what I can, make suggestions and if not point in some direction. I have over 1,000+ old P/Ms since I last erased them, of which 800+ were sent to me usually with a question to answer. I suggest a search rarely, compared to how many answers made in full. Go ahead anyone, check any first post where I've replied and find the ones where search is mentioned.

Maybee time for all to lighten up on the search,and help more so no?

• Like 1

and while we are at old shit, Mike the new years edit you did this year,was pretty cool,and denied much no?

I got eyes :sneaky:

Or how YOU acted toward new guys in the past

Forgetting the past does not change it.

The point is the past is the past and worth forgetting letting go. Bitching about things had better be recent or it's just useless whining in the beer. Shit a year old is past it's expiry date but still archived

• Like 1

FWIW... I sent Mike a PM a while back, with a pic of a piece of metal found in a friend's transmission. I knew he'd be able to ID the problem quickly. I did search, but came up empty handed. Mike wrote back a very detailed response, with pics of the part he suspected was broken. Never mentioned that I need to search first, just helped me out. I do the same, when I can.

I mostly read through threads here, just to follow builds, or learn, or just get to know your internet personalities. Lately I come to unwind. It's been a great place, for all of the above. The forum I used most, before Ratsun, would have had me banned for using profanity. It was cool though, as I followed the rules. Here I get to relax, and be myself. This is why I'm here daily, even though I only have Datsun Hot Wheels, and no full scale models. Thanks guys.

All of you.

• Like 5

The point is the past is the past and worth forgetting letting go. Bitching about things had better be recent or it's just useless whining in the beer. Shit a year old is past it's expiry date but still archived

Well I am glad it was what it was(and acknowledged)

But what is it now?

Less rider ship,and for what reason?

• Like 1

FWIW... I sent Mike a PM a while back, with a pic of a piece of metal found in a friend's transmission. I knew he'd be able to ID the problem quickly. I did search, but came up empty handed. Mike wrote back a very detailed response, with pics of the part he suspected was broken. Never mentioned that I need to search first, just helped me out. I do the same, when I can.

I mostly read through threads here, just to follow builds, or learn, or just get to know your internet personalities. Lately I come to unwind. It's been a great place, for all of the above. The forum I used most, before Ratsun, would have had me banned for using profanity. It was cool though, as I followed the rules. Here I get to relax, and be myself. This is why I'm here daily, even though I only have Datsun Hot Wheels, and no full scale models. Thanks guys.

All of you.

Thanks Adam :thumbup:

• Like 1

Maybee time for all to lighten up on the search,and help more so no?

But what is it now?

Less rider ship,and for what reason?

Well once again this assumes you are right and this isn't just an opinion. You think there are less members?.... not that I'm aware of. Saying so don't make it so.  They come and the go, nothings forever.

Well I'm off to bed gents

• Like 1

Just curious, do you think the picture links are working?

I have been using the "Like Button"  As a book mark so I can pick up reading where I left off.  Lack of a dislike button does not matter in this use.  Yes Mike I understand there is no dislike button because people can miss use it.

Fuck me, I just read the rest of this and I want my 10 fucking minutes back!!!  The only good thing was the Z car with the Rotas I want!!!  Don't let gamez see, he no like phillipino wheels! :)

• Like 5

Mike has a mind like a trap.  He is very knowledgeable and eager to help.  He is like all he has his faults.  I hope that we can help new people with there questions.  I know in the past the search engine was shitty at best.  I use it now and it works pretty good.  Sometimes I cannot find a specific item or post I am looking for but that is life.

One of the most irritating thing to me on Ratsun is all the broken picture links.  I have spent hours literally fixing my image links after the board does an up date or photobucket fucks it up.  But it is important to me I maintain my posts to the best of my abilities.  Unfortunately over the years I have had hard drives crash loosing data and my backups word not work either because of software updates (backup software program updates not Ratsun updates) so I have lost a lot of pictures and documentation.  I have had the same PhotoBucket account since I started web documentation of my Datsun stuff.

Welcome new members before running them off.  If a new person posts a question that should have been searched first, then let a member answer the question then suggest they use the search feature.  Just a suggestion

• Like 1

One of the, OK "the" key reason I stopped contributing to this forum was (apart from a sandy vadge) because it went from a democracy (as far as moderators are/were concerned) to what appeared to be a benevolant dictatorship and one mans personal fiefdom.

Just saying; and back to lurking (for the moment).

• Like 2

Welcome new members before running them off.  If a new person posts a question that should have been searched first, then let a member answer the question then suggest they use the search feature.  Just a suggestion

Well we can try harder but I think in the past or recent past (since the spam blocking started last summer?) I've been more welcoming. New posts have to go through mod approval before they are posted. This means a mod sees them first. They can be up to 12 hours stale by the time they get posted, almost always much less. When they post they are fitted in when they were originally posted and may be a dozen posts back or even a page an a busy topic.  To prevent them being buried I almost always provide a welcome TTT post to bring them up for viewing unless maybe they were still the last post.

New members are like kids. They have to learn the forum ways eventually.. and may as well start right off on solid food. I agree that some answers are that easy and I've seen you post them. If done properly,  a new member desperately seeking knowledge won't be put off by being shown where it is. Spoon feeding is ok too, if time permits, but just puts off learning to use the search engine.  Everyone must have some experience with using Google. It's the same thing and iften the answer is a ratsun post anyway.

I seriously can't see what all the fuss is about as far as using the search button. I can see being rude or sarcastic when telling noobs to use it as less than desirable. Again, old news. No new member gets on the forum and can be 'hazed' by current members without passing a mod review first. Steve and I usually welcome them to Ratsun, in a fashion, and may or may not, usually the later, suggest a search for their answer.

• Like 1

One of the, OK "the" key reason I stopped contributing to this forum was (apart from a sandy vadge) because it went from a democracy (as far as moderators are/were concerned) to what appeared to be a benevolant dictatorship and one mans personal fiefdom.

Well I think from this post it's clear that other mods (Fisch, Steve, Jeff) do read some of the topics even though they don't post as much as I. I don't 'run' this place, I try to manage it as best I can and if it looks like a personal fiefdom maybe it's because I'm more visible. No forum is a democracy,... won't work. You would spend all the time looking at polls and asking members opinions on policy. Better to follow some vision of the originator of said forum, then a few rules and then some policies, with an over all ear to members wants and internal moderator discussions about them.  

• Like 3

Lol. Is this ironic? I cant tell.....

• Like 2

As a manager, I think this place runs pretty smoothly.  Yes, Mike gets the brunt of it because he is the most "public" moderator.  That said, a lot of things are decided by the other moderators, you just don't see them.  I don't know about you, but when I'm vilified, that doesn't make me want to back down on policy.  Personally, I think Ratsun is just fine.  It's a larger venue, for sure.  That lends to more fuckery.  I have nothing against the other Datsun forums, but how often do you see a thread change there?  Not much.  Here, things are constantly changing.  Kind of like small town vs big city.  There are some things the small town is better for, and there are some things the big city has that you need, that's why you go there.  And as the saying goes: "When in Rome..."

There is a LOT of whining about fairness, etc.  I would suggest learn to play the game, accept certain things, and get over it.  If there is something you just can't stand, then yeah, tell Ratsun to eat a bag of dicks, and move on.  Start your own Datsun forum if you're that annoyed.  I'm not saying there haven't been mistakes made in this forum, but they are certainly amplified by the number of people on here and the amount of moderator involvement for the number of people.

In the end, it's just an internet forum people.  This isn't reality, it's time spent away from working or eating or sleeping.  If you think this is bad, go look at some domestic forums.  You will be shocked at what goes on there and the level of education that seems apparent in the thread.  We should be so lucky to have something as accepting and diverse as Ratsun.  And if we have to pee in someone's cheerios on occasion, well I hope they have the brains to throw the bowl at us and get things figured out.

• Like 8