What is wrong with Ratsun, can it be fixed?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit that neg button a couple times ( by accident)  and there was no way to change it,,,, once the dude freaked all out about it...

whoops :blush:

(disclaimer) i did hit it a shit load of times for the lulz ,, or on someone that was already freaking out,,, to get them even more crazier.

• Like 7

We lost the thumbs down button. I really miss that button.

Like.

Right now.

It was a very poor idea and led to 'Waaaaaa he thums downed me!!!' 'Oh yeah well I'll get my posse and thumb you down.' God it was like what I presume facebook is like. The like button will always be better and here's why. People respond better to a positive than a negative and this dovetails very well with the saying... "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"

• Like 2

Facebook doesn't have one either. One of the many many contributing factors as to why it is a stupid website.

I kinda liked when people would get butt hurt over the neg button. I'd usually throw them a neg rep for complaining.

• Like 1

For me personally, it boils down to a couple things:

1) I get soo tired of seeing people encourage and congratulate others who have (or want to) perform horribly stupid acts/ideas to their cars. The amount of encouraged dumb ideas blows me away. Even though the number of people encouraging these stupid ideas is probably rather small, it makes the group as a whole look like a bunch of idiots who don't have a clue what they're doing. You don't find this on sites like The realm, which is why 510 guys use that site for "real" technical help for the 510's. This is why I never ask for technical help on here, although I will still give solid adice to correct some of the dumb recommendations.

The Realm has it's share of stupid ideas suggested but perhaps not as many taking it? Short of suggesting something dangerous, (or not always obviously dangerous) what is stupid/dumb? Box flairs? hood pins? cone air filters? Or smoking marker and tail lights? dragging frame? removing leaf springs to lower? What ever... never stop trying to correct mistakes if you see them. It may help someone else that reads it.

2) The other is the high school attitude. Not enough professionalism, too much bitching, too much flaming, and in general very little respect for fellow members. Look at how often topics get locked, the frequency is ridiculous. If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut. If people could grow up it would make a massive difference.

Well The Realm started in '03, I joined the Realm in '06 as member #364. As of '12 there are just over 4,000 members. 'The 510 Realm' is also very PL510 specific.

On the other hand, Ratsun has been around since '07, covers all Datsuns intensively, several decades of Nissans and to a much lesser degree those vehicles after 2000. We have 5 times as many members, assuming our losses and gains are about the same ratio.

A larger forum, (a larger more diverse forum) is going to have a higher membership of 'dick heads' and more problems. Look at it this way... if you are on a specific forum site that caters to one car like a 510, everyone there is there for that one reason. You are closer and have more in common with everyone there, like a family. Now if the site covered every Nissan ever made or every small economy car under 2,300 pounds you would be more respectful of another 510 owner than an air cooled Volkswagen or 240sx drifter. It's just brand loyalty. In addition time has passed and the internet has changed how people 'respect' others.

I'm sure this will piss some people off, but these are the reasons I don't come on and post even remotely as much as I used to. It's also one of the reasons I was one of the guys who started my own forum. We don't have these problems on our site.

An old man, his grandson and a donkey start out on their journey. The old man lets his grandson ride and the first person they meed complains that the boy is selfish and should let the old man ride, and they do so. The next person complains that the selfish old man should let the boy ride, and they do so. The next person complains that they have a donkey and should be riding it, and they do so. The next person complains that the poor donkey shouldn't have to carry such a heavy load so the get down. The next person sees them carrying the donkey.... This is what happens when you try to please everyone.

All forums have problems, don't kid yourself. Even ones with less than 200 members in it. Like I told Tim @ NWD... When you start having complaint posts from members and problems with spam, you have achieved greatness for greatness attracts controversy. Like in politics... please the greatest number of voters.

• Like 5

Mike, Facebook doesnt has a dislike button, so no was nothing like how facebook is/was, it was better. Youtube does, and its funny.

My thread definitely got hit with the red when I was new.

Jacob, I was referring to the 'Waaaa' sound of 13 year olds squabbling. Never been there....

• Like 1

The Realm has it's share of stupid ideas suggested but perhaps not as many taking it? Short of suggesting something dangerous, (or not always obviously dangerous) what is stupid/dumb? Box flairs? hood pins? cone air filters? Or smoking marker and tail lights? dragging frame? removing leaf springs to lower? What ever... never stop trying to correct mistakes if you see them. It may help someone else that reads it.

For the most part,the level of restoration,fabrication,and actual engineering is pretty unreal(as in good) on the realm.

Many good ideas,and people too.

On the other hand, Ratsun has been around since '07, covers all Datsuns intensively, several decades of Nissans and to a much lesser degree those vehicles after 2000. We have 5 times as many members, assuming our losses and gains are about the same ratio.

A larger forum, (a larger more diverse forum) is going to have a higher membership of 'dick heads' and more problems. Look at it this way... if you are on a specific forum site that caters to one car like a 510, everyone there is there for that one reason. You are closer and have more in common with everyone there, like a family. Now if the site covered every Nissan ever made or every small economy car under 2,300 pounds you would be more respectful of another 510 owner than an air cooled Volkswagen or 240sx drifter. It's just brand loyalty. In addition time has passed and the internet has changed how people 'respect' others.

SIze matters? :lol: (see what I did there,remember?)

The abrasiveness,can get out of hand here, Too many jump in and flash mob new person for asking something,When someone is new to here or any other forum

First impression mean alot.

The mob mentality at times is ridiculous,people(long time members included) leave,This kind of loss to any garage is pretty big imo.

The battle of who is wittier is the biggest problem here(again imo)

Not much of a open arm,hey welcome to the shop(per say)

Dont ask anything,use search etc etc etc etc

Hey they are new,they deserve what you,or I got in the beginning.?

Yes knowledge is big here,very big(sometimes ego boosting,for some)

• Like 4

For the most part,the level of restoration,fabrication,and actual engineering is pretty unreal(as in good) on the realm.

Many good ideas,and people too.

The 510 is great and I often go for info or confirmation info. Good place and members. A bit slow and not much happens there.

SIze matters? :lol: (see what I did there,remember?)

only in volume of members, diverse interests, and tollerance here.

The abrasiveness,can get out of hand here, Too many jump in and flash mob new person for asking something,When someone is new to here or any other forum

There is more good than bad. Few complain about something good.

First impression mean alot.

The mob mentality at times is ridiculous,people(long time members included) leave,This kind of loss to any garage is pretty big imo.

The battle of who is wittier is the biggest problem here(again imo)

Not much of a open arm,hey welcome to the shop(per say)

Yes in person where there is the possibility of being called out, but not so much on the internet. It's expected to be rough and most realize this. If someone has sand in the cooch they haven't tried other places. All in all I think it's a pretty tame here.

I try to welcome all new first posters to Ratsun. I also suggest trying the search function if the question is elementary. Often just a point in some direction. Sometimes it brings this post up from the bottom and it is noticed by someone with an answer.

Dont ask anything,use search etc etc etc etc

Hey they are new,they deserve what you,or I got in the beginning.?

Yes knowledge is big here,very big(sometimes ego boosting,for some)

I think that you'll find that most common first time questioners are shown where the search function is and how easy it is to use. This is specially true of the common most questions. Next to answering a question by searching yourself for the correct post about it for them, is answering that question at length. Often to be ignored or to find out that not all the proper information was supplied (or even legible) and the stock carb was replaced with a weber. Now that's a waste for both of us. Suggesting someone search saves time and they can come back and ask follow up questions from a knowledgeable position. I didn't use to like the search that much but now with 7 years of posts it's loaded down with threads to go through. SEARCH isn't a problem it's how you ask them to try it.

• Like 2

The 510 is great and I often go for info or confirmation info. Good place and members. A bit slow and not much happens there.

It sure is,Tons of info there, Its not like here as in the amount of posts.

But here is getting pretty quite too?No?

only in volume of members, diverse interests, and tollerance here.

Active? Maybe a few hundred or less here,maybe a hundred or so there.

There is more good than bad. Few complain about something good.

Yes,but the bad ones,can rival pretty good cant they?

Yes in person where there is the possibility of being called out, but not so much on the internet. It's expected to be rough and most realize this. If someone has sand in the cooch they haven't tried other places. All in all I think it's a pretty tame here.

Well it is expected some laughs for sure,but to ridicule to the extent some have,can be a eye opener(not in a good way,imo)

And losing members,is not what anyone wants,ridership is way down here, is this a step forward?

The way one could see it,if the said person replying to the new person,has the time to say post flaming material,they(the great search warriors,I like to call them)

could simply answer a question,makes for less tom foolery all round

• Like 1

Larger forums doesn't mean "more dickheads", let's just get that straight now, I belong to the "MINI" forum, although I have not been there a lot lately as my Mini isn't being driven right now, but when I asked questions there, they don't tell me to use the search function.

That forum has more people on it right now(631 online right now), than Ratsun has ever had on line, and this is a regular day, their record for the most online is 7410, they have over 44,000 members/over 2,600,000 posts, and it is run the same way Ratsun used to be run 3 years ago, but I will tell you what they don't have, a "General Discussion" section, they talk about the Mini, not all this other crap which likely makes up half of all of Ratsuns posts.

I suppose that not as many young people own a Mini as say a Datsun, but there are way more Datsuns out there, but they go to the site to talk about the Mini, here some folks might not say anything about a Datsun the whole day. 

• Like 3

Seems busy to me here. Haven't noticed. Go to Realm. 2-3 posts (just checked) sometimes 6-8 but never more than one page.

No idea. So could be more or way more. What constitutes active?

Forty new members in the last week. 5+ a day. Hard to say when someone leaves. Some don't post right away some never do become active. Tried to research members with posts in the last 6 months... didn't work.

They can stir more shit and this is what people 'see'. Still maintain more good by far than bad. And don't confuse a knock down good argument or an expression of opinion as something bad. It just may seem loud.

Well it is expected some laughs for sure,but to ridicule to the extent some have,can be a eye opener(not in a good way,imo)

And losing members,is not what anyone wants,ridership is way down here, is this a step forward?

General laughs in Insomniacs/Daily Randomness and a few others. Ridicule seems a bit harsh of a word and what's this based on something from past years? As mentioned earlier, some level of thick skin is needed and expected on the internet. I agree further, that some people are more 'over sensitive' than others, their feelings get hurt easily. Surely they can man up just enough to function on a forum? We are adults for the most part.

The way one could see it,if the said person replying to the new person,has the time to say post flaming material,they(the great search warriors,I like to call them)

could simply answer a question,makes for less tom foolery all round

Again, I don't see it this way at all. There is nothing wrong in directing someone to the search and advising them to try it. Mostly for the common elementary questions that take the maximum amount of reply. This isn't flaming as I see it. How this is asked is the thing.

• Like 1

Larger forums doesn't mean "more dickheads", let's just get that straight now, I belong to the "MINI" forum, although I have not been there a lot lately as my Mini isn't being driven right now, but when I asked questions there, they don't tell me to use the search function.

That forum has more people on it right now(631 online right now), than Ratsun has ever had on line, and this is a regular day, their record for the most online is 7410, they have over 44,000 members/over 2,600,000 posts, and it is run the same way Ratsun used to be run 3 years ago, but I will tell you what they don't have, a "General Discussion" section, they talk about the Mini, not all this other crap which likely makes up half of all of Ratsuns posts.

I suppose that not as many young people own a Mini as say a Datsun, but there are way more Datsuns out there, but they go to the site to talk about the Mini, here some folks might not say anything about a Datsun the whole day.

What I said was...

You are on a Mini site, just Minis. No other BMWs. Less friction. More focus.

Yet good fellow you are, you stick with Ratsun with it's warts and all.

What is the sense of having a SEARCH engine if it is not made use of????? I don't know anyone who can remember the exact place a certain thread was left or the name of it. Just type in several key words and boom 50 possible posts. If not it try mixing words or add some. It's just a tool like Google. What's the real reason some people get so bent about asking or informing or even telling someone to try searching first?

General Discussion is there for any and everyone. To use to discuss Datsuns or not Datsuns. You are free to ignore it also.

• Like 1

I guess you have not been paying much attention to me Dmike, but there are others that would likely need more attention, so I will help you, when is the last time you seen me bump any of my threads, it's been a long time since I posted to any of my threads.

I just like to help people now, like the guy asking about the "manifold" in the 620 section, I just posted a link to a thread talking about that very subject, I didn't tell him to search for it.

When this forum was formed, it did not get so popular by having members telling new members to use the search function, it got where it was by Datsun folks helping Datsun folks, that has been lost here for the most part over the last couple years, I don't know if it is because of laziness, or members just don't want to be bothered anymore, but it will have an unwanted effect in the end, less active members which is already happening, normal days used to be 70+ members online, with a 100+ happening all the time, now 70 members is a big day, this is stuff I watch, I always have.

When I joined I already could get most everything done I needed to get done using my own brains, I joined to show what I had done and was doing, I guess I was proud of what I had accomplished, I hardly ever went to the "General Discussion" section, it wasn't about Datsuns, but when Ratsun was changed, somehow I got effected by that, as I started going to that section all the time, I have come to the conclusion that this place would be better off without that section, as now when I come here, all I see is half truths being spewed out, and in the specific sections dedicated to Datsun builds, ect, members tell first time posters that come here to use the search function, they don't even bother welcoming them, I always say "Welcome :)", always.

Members might not like what I have to say, but I have gotten to the point that I don't care anymore, It's always the same folks that try to upset people, it happened in this thread also, but no one took the bait, as it was so obvious that it is boring now, good contributing members have gotten banned here because of these members that go out of the way to try and upset other members to get them banned, that was the goal, mission accomplished, and it's always the same handful of people, and they never get in trouble, I read one of their threads, it was a 130 pages of nothing, they contributed nothing, but I quit reading at about 50 pages.

I was lead to believe that Jeff started Ratsun because he wanted to read every ones build threads, I believe I read that on here, well there are getting to be less and less build threads started, so I suspect Ratsun has seen it's glory days, and is on it's way down the hill now, I always wonder why good things don't last.

I guess figbuck nailed it in that one post a long time ago, I guess we are just not whacked enough anymore.

• Like 8

Yeah cuz telling newbs to use the search only started since Ratsun started going downhill.

:rofl:

new users should search. end of story.
That's forum life. Get used to it.

also, if a new user doesn't search then it would be nice to give them a quick answer but kindly suggest they search the forum and ask any questions after doing their own research first.

Even if you put FAQs, folks that won't search, won't read 'em. There's plenty of folks HERE that are ask first, search later.

Some  things just make you go hmmmm.

• Like 1

Seems busy to me here. Haven't noticed. Go to Realm. 2-3 posts (just checked) sometimes 6-8 but never more than one page.

Forty new members in the last week. 5+ a day. Hard to say when someone leaves. Some don't post right away some never do become active. Tried to research members with posts in the last 6 months... didn't work.

They can stir more shit and this is what people 'see'. Still maintain more good by far than bad. And don't confuse a knock down good argument or an expression of opinion as something bad. It just may seem loud.

General laughs in Insomniacs/Daily Randomness and a few others. Ridicule seems a bit harsh of a word and what's this based on something from past years? As mentioned earlier, some level of thick skin is needed and expected on the internet. I agree further, that some people are more 'over sensitive' than others, their feelings get hurt easily. Surely they can man up just enough to function on a forum? We are adults for the most part.

Seems busy to me here. Haven't noticed. Go to Realm. 2-3 posts (just checked) sometimes 6-8 but never more than one page

Its is nowhere what it was

What is active,I would say posting more than a couple times in a 6 month period(imo)

A good discussion is just that,like this thread is a good one,with open eyes,input is being made by long time members.

Its good to laugh,always has been always will be,But to belittle someone is not really a step forward(progression)in any aspect,its the opposite

As for thick skin,some can dish,but when it has been dished back,they cry wolf.

I didnt read anywhere or that I could find,that think skin is a pre requisite to any automotive forum that I belong to.

As for adults,yes we are.

Again, I don't see it this way at all. There is nothing wrong in directing someone to the search and advising them to try it. Mostly for the common elementary questions that take the maximum amount of reply. This isn't flaming as I see it. How this is asked is the thing

Well if when you or I joined here or the realm,were greeted the way many are now,would we be here now?Myself probably not.

You were a noob once, I was too.

And to decipher this post was pretty tough :rofl: :hug: ,I could expect this from a new member,and could guide them how too :D

And please,this is only constructive critisism,not destructive

• Like 1

they don't have, a "General Discussion" section, they talk about the Mini, not all this other crap which likely makes up half of all of Ratsuns posts.

General Discussion is there for any and everyone. To use to discuss Datsuns or not Datsuns. You are free to ignore it also.

How is General Discussion for everyone??? I don't see how it's appropriate for younger members, female members, people who don't want to see naked women all over a car site, or people who have a family that occasionally looks over at the computer.

I had to ignore 54 members to make Ratsun a 'family friendly' site ... I wish the stuff I don't want my mom to see would stay in insomniacs, post-tits/ass/NSFW/etc. .. It's technically illegal to post sexual/vulgar words (or images) where minors can see them, and most forums have an 'over 18' sub-forum to avoid any legal trouble.

No sense fixing it now. You already lost all the members who care about stuff like classifieds, nudity, politeness, and encouraging/doing stupid modifications.

• Like 5

Its good to laugh,always has been always will be,But to belittle someone is not really a step forward(progression)in any aspect,its the opposite

As for thick skin,some can dish,but when it has been dished back,they cry wolf.

I didnt read anywhere or that I could find,that think skin is a pre requisite to any automotive forum that I belong to.

Well if when you or I joined here or the realm,were greeted the way many are now,would we be here now?Myself probably not.

Again, not nearly the the norm nor an ongoing problem you are making it out to be. Most people understand the term 'thick skin' and the advantages of having at least some of it in this world. 'Sense of humor' is another great thing to have. If someone is greeted poorly here now? Who and when?

• Like 3

Again, not nearly the the norm nor an ongoing problem you are making it out to be. Most people understand the term 'thick skin' and the advantages of having at least some of it in this world. 'Sense of humor' is another great thing to have. If someone is greeted poorly here now? Who and when?

Look around Mike,It is a problem..has been for a while,why the reduction in "active" members man?

People are opening up,to you in honesty here can you not see it?

Or are the tits in the way?

• Like 2

How is General Discussion for everyone??? I don't see how it's appropriate for younger members, female members, people who don't want to see naked women all over a car site, or people who have a family that occasionally looks over at the computer.

I had to ignore 54 members to make Ratsun a 'family friendly' site ... I wish the stuff I don't want my mom to see would stay in insomniacs, post-tits/ass/NSFW/etc. .. It's technically illegal to post sexual/vulgar words (or images) where minors can see them, and most forums have an 'over 18' sub-forum to avoid any legal trouble.

No sense fixing it now. You already lost all the members who care about stuff like classifieds, nudity, politeness, and encouraging/doing stupid modifications.

By that definition TV should be banned for it's content but guess what? You can always turn the station? Or avoid 'vulgar' shows. If 'technically illegal' to post things that minors can see I say the parents are at fault for providing the computers and leaving them unattended. Jesus Christ there's things out there WAY worse than Ratsun posting bear breasts. Sorry but please... get real. If you have to 'ignore' members to get what you want then that's what it's for.

• Like 1

By that definition TV should be banned for it's content but guess what? You can always turn the station? Or avoid 'vulgar' shows. If 'technically illegal' to post things that minors can see I say the parents are at fault for providing the computers and leaving them unattended. Jesus Christ there's things out there WAY worse than Ratsun posting bear breasts. Sorry but please... get real. If you have to 'ignore' members to get what you want then that's what it's for.

Its called parental control(stopping the young ones from viewing the stuff)out of sight for all

It isnt here,cant be..unless one does like Indy has to.

Right Dad? :P

• Like 1

Look around Mike,It is a problem..has been for a while,why the reduction in "active" members man?

People are opening up,to you in honesty here can you not see it?

Or are the tits in the way?

So you say again. Same people same complaints and opinions based on... opinions?

• Like 2