Engine Swap Thread - what would Jesus do?

I'd like to hear some engine swap ideas. No, I'm not building another Datsun, but enough of you are and it might be fun to see if we throw something at the wall, it may just stick.

I'll start off.

MBZ 6.9L aluminum V8 in 510

BMW S62 V8 in 510

Nissan Prince limousine V8 in 510

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear some engine swap ideas. No, I'm not building another Datsun, but enough of you are and it might be fun to see if we throw something at the wall, it may just stick.

I'll start off.

Nissan Prince limousine V8 in 510

Is this the same Y44 V8 as in the President? If so I think it's just a FORD Y series clone.

1971_Nissan_President_Engine.jpg

odratrodstreetrod_350441723117-vi.jpg

Ford Y series 272cu in...... which is exactly 4.4 liters

I looked into these some time back. I think Ford sold the Y series whe they were done with it back in the 60s. I remember there were some interesting coincidences in bore size and other things. I think the Nissan version had aluminum heads (not sure) but this would sure knock some weight off of it. Nine to one compression and 200 ish HP.

If I'd had the money, or should I say if Jesus loved me enough, I would have put one of these in my 510. 

106engine_619_591_90.jpg

H2-V8-TT_733_591_90.jpg

Hartley H1 V8. This engine is one of the smallest and lightest V8's available weighing only 196Lbs. This thing uses 2 modified Suzuki Hayabusa top ends mounted to a 7075 billet crankcases, billet crank, Carrillo rods, CP pistons, Kent camshafts, 4 stage dry sump pump, etc. It's available in naturally aspirated 2800cc (400hp), 2900cc (450hp), 3000cc (500hp) and 2800cc twin turbocharged versions in 3 stages of 600hp, 800hp, 1000hp. The only question ia witch one.

To give you some idea what this thing sounds like

Sweat Jesus, Insta-gasm 

• Like 6

Is this the same Y44 V8 as in the President? If so I think it's just a FORD Y series clone.

Nissan had the Prince and the President V8's. The Prince was a 6.4L W64 designation.

I know someone used them in their IMSA cars of the 80's and early 90's. It was either Millen or Leitzinger. You are probably right about the cloning, in which case, they could hardly run a Ford V8 in their Nissan GTP, GTO or GTU car. I may be wrong about all this, but I specifically remember taking the hood off a blue and red Nissan race car to find a pushrod V8 with Nissan valve covers.

Nissan had the Prince and the President V8's. The Prince was a 6.4L W64 designation.

I know someone used them in their IMSA cars of the 80's and early 90's. It was either Millen or Leitzinger. You are probably right about the cloning, in which case, they could hardly run a Ford V8 in their Nissan GTP, GTO or GTU car. I may be wrong about all this, but I specifically remember taking the hood off a blue and red Nissan race car to find a pushrod V8 with Nissan valve covers.

Facinating though. Nissan has a history with Austin and got the rights to build them in Japan. This gave then access to the engines too and why the oil sender is still  1/8 British Pipe Thread  on most Nissan engines today. Naturally the E J and the A series are similar to the British engines and why MG parts will fit some of them.

I think ford sold the rights or the tooling (or what ever) and they grabbed the ball and ran with it. I couldn't find the info last night but the Y block was discontinued about the time Nissan came ouy with the Y40 and later Y44 engine. I was on some old ford site to get all the Y specs.

Just like Nissan to take something and make it better.... well the old Nissan that is.

Or maybe the 88lb. DIG-T R 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo putting out 400hp 

zeod-rc-engine-5.jpg

This coupled with hybrid electric torque supplementation in a 510 would be devastating, but only god's "problem child" would do that.

• Like 3

JESUS would do the right thing and keep a Nissan ALL Nissan by using a Nissan engine for a swap.

HESUS (Mexican pronunciation) would do a Honduh engine swap.

JEEBUS  would do the cliche thing like everybody else and put a Chevy LSPOS.

YEEZUS would blasphemize his Datsun with a damn Toyota TuRD engine because it's the douchiest thing to do, which is the Kayne way!

• Like 2

I want to put a light weight aircraft engine in a 32 Ford. Flat 4.. Would certainly be fun...

I have a 72 HP air cooled V4 Wisconsin engine sitting in the shop. I've had it for a couple years and have always wanted to build a 3/4 scale or 1/2 scale 32 roadster to put it in.

• Like 1

What an awesome project that would be. Please go 3/4 though. 1/2 is just too close to toy car size. Cool touch would be to form the air cowls to look like DOHC valve covers.

Run straight pipes and it'd have a pretty bad ass exhaust note too.