92 Hardbody 4X4 cleanup / build / desert patrol !

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update. I removed the valve cover, verified TDC compression on #1, dimple on cam sprocket @ 3 O clock & rotor is @ #1 & crank sprocket is at 0. Verified that the oil pump dimples are lined up & dist drive is at 11.25. The issues the motor has is a high & intermittent idle & lack of power when its driven & i suspect that the seller installed a new timing chain without lining up the correct links with the 2 sprockets. So today i was trying to find the different colored link on either side of the chain to see if it was done right & they are all silver ! Im at a loss as far as the chain goes but i now need to verify the check engine bulb works & if so see if the ECU throws any codes & ill also toss in new plugs& see if that helps.

• Like 1

Changing spark plugs can do wonders.. My dad had a 2000 Ford Taurus its the one with the 3.0L 24V Duratec motor it was running poorly didn't have much power didn't idle well. I asked my brother who is a mechanic and he said to change the spark plugs boom it worked power was back idled good and such.. It was still having a burp at 4000RPM but I found out that was the front bank coil packs (individual for each spark plug) Sucks another one of my brothers tore the tranny pan and killed the tranny. 

Heres a before pic of the interior. I have the seat & what was left of the carpet out...it will be shitcanned & the seat rails will be cut off & welded to bucket seats in time...

28sosxz.jpg

Ill need a new downpipe..this one has a long crack & the 2 risers that go into the manifold are worn. Also 1 of the manifold bolts broke off & i may weld a new stud to it & call it good..

2icbeo2.jpg

theres no cat in place & ill ditch the quiet muffler & run a straight pipe to a Flowmaster resonator & the end...

2qwjubb.jpg

Mark AZ Game & Fish will write you a ticket if there is not a forestry approved spark arrester on you truck.  My brother go 2 of them.

Charlie- i have a Flowmaster muffler on the end of the pipe.

I verified that the timing chain was installed right after cycling the crank many many times, put new plugs,,wires & cap & set timing to 10 btdc. Fired right up but it had an up & down idle but not bad enough that i couldnt test drive it. Ran so so & i was suspecting it had a bad vaccum leak that in time id find & fix. Took it on another test drive today & now im hearing a bad knock in the engine & it barely idles / dies. Ill do another compression test but i think shes done for.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to here this Mark.  Pull the motor and find out what it will cost to fix.  Once you find out, finish the body work on Grimace and ask Gene to pay for your motor work for the work on Grimace. Oh and as bad as Gene's bed is he will probably owe you cash also.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

OK so after 1 CL scammer & another kid who wanted my truck for $500 ive decided to keep it. Ive got the motor 90% ready to pull in the last few days. Ive also cleaned up the frame & suspension & shot it all semi gloss black. The fun part on 4x4's is you get to drop the front differential to get the odd shaped oil pan up & over it...thats the next step then shes getting pulled & taken to my machine shop.

2m6omz5.jpg

ih5cp1.jpg

& rim #3 is cleaned & polished..

25hl55s.jpg

• Like 2