510 datsun with a chevy 4.3 vortec?

Agent-Gambit

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a guy who bought a orange or red 510 I can't remember that posted on here or the510realm (I can't remember) and he had a vortex v6 and if i remember right the steering set up was scary. So you would have your work cut out with that. You could look up Markus fry's ls swapped 510 on Google for idea's

There was a guy who bought a orange or red 510 I can't remember that posted on here or the510realm (I can't remember) and he had a vortex v6 and if i remember right the steering set up was scary. So you would have your work cut out with that. You could look up Markus fry's ls swapped 510 on Google for idea's

Thanks I'll look into it

Auto or S10 5 speed? Either is fine, just needing more or less work. The engine cross member can be modified to fit the chevy oil pan or see if there are other V6 pans that are closer. What side is the starter on? the 510's steering box is on the left and it and steering linkages close to the firewall. Single exhaust is simpler, dual would be cool. You might consider an R180 differential swap for added strength.

Auto or S10 5 speed? Either is fine, just needing more or less work. The engine cross member can be modified to fit the chevy oil pan or see if there are other V6 pans that are closer. What side is the starter on? the 510's steering box is on the left and it and steering linkages close to the firewall. Single exhaust is simpler, dual would be cool. You might consider an R180 differential swap for added strength.

I was thinking a 5 speed, and at the moment it can't remember what side the starter is on id have too look at it, and I would defiantly look to go dual since like u said it would be cool

The only thing the Vortec 4.3 has going for it is that it's a Vortec. The TBI 4.3's had just enough power to get out of their own way, but the Vortec has quite a bit more. That said, it's a truck motor, it weighs a million pounds and it aint very pretty. I don't even like putting these motors in rock crawlers so I would never put one in a 510...even if it was free.

There are plenty of other motors out there that would be much more at home in a 510. Motors that weigh a lot less.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys so just recently I took out my l20 and started looking into the 4.3 and I decided that it wasn't worth cutting up my car just to make that engine fit, so now I'm considering the ka24de or a vg30e I've been reading up a lot on the vg30e and I may be wrong but is it true that I wouldn't even be getting 160 hp on wheels with it? I love the idea of having a v6 in my car but if it's not gonna give me the power I like might as well just go through with a ka24de. And also I can't seem to find out from my reading if I instal the vg30 if I have to chop anything off from my firewall to make it fit.

• Like 1

I don't love the idea of having a V6 in any car. I have never liked the noise they make. Straight six...? Sure! They sound sweet.

Well at least you realized BEFORE you passed the point of no return. You can easily get 200hp out of a KA and they are damn near bolt in by comparison.

• Like 2

The KA24DE make about 150, the VG30 makes about 10 more but! it has displacement which translates to way more bottom end torque! and that... is that kick in the ass you get when you step into it at low speed. Take the engine hp and remove about 17% for the RWHP. Now do the same for the KA. It's all good.

You can always pickup a VG33 from a pathfinder or d21. More grunt in the same size package. Good intake, quality headers, correctly sized exhaust, along with a good tune (jwt etc) makes substantially more power thanjust a vg30. They can be run on the vg30 electronics to keep install simple. You can even punch them out to 3.4 and run q45 pistons if you're feeling frisky.

MotoIQ has some really good articles about building reliable VG power in their project pathfinder stuff.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Nissan/Pathfinder.aspx

Your lucky if a 4.3 makes 160 wheel if its just stock, your left hand header is going to have to be a lil funky.

Now if it had some 350 slugs put in it with some head work and a hairy cam... Etc... Twin blackies for days.

With some good parts thrown in it, you can get 350 horse out of a built 4.3 all day long

I'm pretty sure you can get away with any if the intakes. Just need the throttle body that matches the ecu, or modified ecu. A friend of mine is running a vg33er in a 620 using the z31 turbo ecu and harness. If you have particular questions, I can ask him any details about the setup you like.