1985 200 sx tranny ?

Datsunny

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The CA motor has a different bolt pattern than the L series so, no, I'm afraid it wont bolt up. If you can find a broken FS5W71B from another L series, the front half with the correct bolt pattern can be swapped onto the '85 200sx tranny to make it fit.

You should know thaat it will bolt up but will be about 6" longer than the stock 4spd. The rear tranny mount will need modifications and the drive shaft shortened. A later '74 and up front drive shaft is made for use with an FS5W71B and I think is already the correct length. Check on this forum.

Your tranny is a short tail and is about 26.3" long and looks like this one except yours has a flange output that the drive shaft bolts to:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transshortF4W634spd.jpg[/img]"]transshortF4W634spd.jpg

There is a short tail 5spd tranny that will fit that comes from a '77-'79 200sx and is called a dogleg because of it's unique shift pattern:

R...2...4

Finding a good one will be difficult as there weren't many made and by now they are very old and well used. Also they aren't the strongest. They look like this one on the right:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/trans80720Land77-79200sxdogleg.jpg[/img]"]trans80720Land77-79200sxdogleg.jpg

Your best bet is a long tail 31.5" FS5W71B. (there are short tail 26.3" FS5W71Bs but not common .. it's actually the one to the left in the picture above) To make it fit some modifications are in order. The shifter will move back a few inches, the rear tranny mount will need to be made and the shorter front drive shaft from a '74-'79 620 must be used. Shortening yours will work but the front of it has a flange and it needs a spline to make it work. The following came with the FS5W71B as standard or optional trannys:

'77-'83 280z/zx (not turbo) 2 trannys were available with different ratio spreads and over drives.

'77-'79 620 trucks 2 trannys were available with different ratio spreads but similar over drives.

'80 720 truck 2wd only, same as the '79 620. I've seen a picture of a short tail FS5W71B tranny for this year.

The FS5W71B looks like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0308.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0308.jpg

Get the shifter with it, as yours is an A type the FS5W71B is a B type.