S13 Front suspension / brakes on a 1979 Datsun 510 / Stanza / A10

mhub91

Found a few Aussies who claim that you can use the front lower control arms from a S13 180SX / 240SX / Silvia and bolt them to the crossmember in an A10.

Can anyone confirm this? I hear peopl claim you can do it, but I have not found pics or specifics to back it up. If this is doable, this opens up a ridiculous amount of aftermarket support for the A10. 

Off the top of my head, I could get a practically never-ending after market support for brakes, adjustable lower control arms, coilovers, 5 lug conversion and more!

Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

Pic for attention, of course.

uy2HqB2l.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will soon buy some control arms and knuckles...

I'm fairly certain the lcas will bolt to the crossmember. From there the coilovers will obviously fit as well... I'm unsure, however, what I will need to do with the tie rods. Folks claim A10 tie rods are "too short" ... What ever that means.

I'm intrigued to figure this out, though. This could be a serious breakthrough for the A10 and the 210. Lots of potential here.....

Oh did I mention someone is planning to put an Rb20det in their A10 as well? :-O

From what I have gathered over time...the TC rods are different. Some mods to the LCAs will need to be done. 

Happy pioneering. 

Yeah, the TC rods are different, however,I'm thinking that I could get some uber-dope-jdm adjustable ones for an S13 and make it work? But we'll see......

Yeah, the TC rods are different, however,I'm thinking that I could get some uber-dope-jdm adjustable ones for an S13 and make it work? But we'll see......

Hey mhub91, look at this writeup I did on swapping s13 gear into my 910. Might be able to help you out. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64679-s13-front-cross-member-suspension-swap/

If the a10 has a LCA with a similar style ball joint as the 910/s13 (which are identical) then you wont have to change LCA's and therefore wont have to mess with the TC rods. Just bolt the s13 knuckles, hubs, brakes and springs/struts to the a10 LCA's. then the only thing you'll have to figure out is the steering bits.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I guess I didn't think about just using all components WITH OUT the S13 lcas. But, one thing comes to mind with using the S13 lcas - and that would be being able to use the S13 front sway bar, which would be an upgrade over the A10's sway bar, and it would clear  the KA's oil pan...... this  is all just theory, though. I'll have to actually start doing all of this soon. 

Thanks for the input. It all helps.

Oh, and when you say "The same type of balljoints" in relation to the S13 and 910 balljoints... do you mean they had the same outer diameter, pitch, and length? The reason I ask is because the S13's balljoints are pressed into the lcas, unlike most datsuns that have 3 bolts holdingn them to the lcas. Never even worked on a 910, so I'm unsure about those.

Oh, and when you say "The same type of balljoints" in relation to the S13 and 910 balljoints... do you mean they had the same outer diameter, pitch, and length? The reason I ask is because the S13's balljoints are pressed into the lcas, unlike most datsuns that have 3 bolts holdingn them to the lcas. Never even worked on a 910, so I'm unsure about those.

Yes I was referring to a press in ball joint. The 910's don't have the 3 bolt style as most other Datsuns do. BUT if the actual tapered portion of the a10 ball-joint is the same then I see no reason it wouldn't work.

As far as the sway-bar goes, I would take some quick measurements and see if the s13 one would fit with the a10 LCA's (unless you know it wont work). They might be the same.

If you end up trying to use the s13 arms don't let the Tension rods deter you from doing so. Modifying the bracket so they work is fairly simple.