JDM seats

edekalil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese domestic market seats? I imagine a seat is a seat and all Japanese seats used on cars sold there or exported here are the same. Maybe the Japanese have smaller butts? Don't be taken in with the initials JDM unless it is strictly something only Japanese and only sold there for their market. Calling something JDM 'Yo doesn't make it so. Everything in my 710 is made in Japan but it's not JDM.

• Like 1

JDM is aftermarket. Aftermarket parts for the Japanese domestic market. 17 year olds calling their LHD EG sedan with Chinese wheels isn't JDM, yo.

I say find a brand or car model you're looking for. It will narrow your results. eBay is just like cragislist, people put tags for stuff that has nothing to do with the item listed. A Dodge Grand Caravan doesn't fall into the "JDM" parts category.

If you're looking for suggestions, Z32 300zx seats are nice. Comfortable and have pretty good lumbar support. Driver seat has full power adjusters. You could probably find a parts car somewhere close.

AA69CE53-E223-4B79-A520-DE362F7378E2_zps

E1EDE4F4-C9FA-4B35-99D1-2F8E94552008_zps

Back seat looks good too.

5F13E6B9-6CDB-442B-8421-336A0EAB7251_zps

Seats and any upholstery today is far and away better than those 40  even 30 years ago. Car seats were just something to sit on while driving and if lucky were soft enough to absorb some of the jolts and supported your ass so you didn't get fatigued on long drives. Car companies spent very little time improving let alone even thinking about driver comfort beyond a ten minute commute to work. My 710 bucket seats are the worst seats I have ever driven in. My '68 510s were as bad. I have 280zx front seats in my 710 goon now and they are the tits compared to what was in it originally.

So.... as far as seats go I say, get something that is comfortable first. Preferably from a NIssan but anything is better than being uncomfortable. Second, something that agrees with the interior color scheme... in other words black and white Holstein cow covered seats are out. If you have a black interior then black or a neutral dark gray seat. The seats should somewhat match the interior Those after market 'racing' seats? the ones with holes in them for the 12 point seat belts with quick release? that cost (unbelievably) $700 for the name stitched into them and a difficulty rating of 8.5 for climbing in and out of?..... just get something comfortable and supportive. Junk yards are brimming with car seats, great car seats that are well engineered and thought out  with lumbar support and well bolstered,  far and away better than the stock ones.     

JDM is anything uniquely made (usually by Japanese car makers ) for exclusive use in Japan. For example a grill or tail light but not the grill or tail light sold abroad. It's attraction would be that it could be obtained in Japan and fitted to a car in another market transferring some special uniqueness to it. Truely JDM 'Yo! A fender probably would not as it probably wouldn't have anything special or unique  about it. It can be any year any part in any condition, used or new. After market car parts is stretching it a bit and does not qualify any more than a Magnaflow muffler would if made in Japan.... well unless they were installed exclusively on some JDM vehicle by the factory.

I was going to put some of these on my 620, but I don't think that the quality is there. I came across some z3 bmw seats on CL and they are nice and comfortable. I did have to do some modifications to get them in but I think it was well worth it. check out my build thread if you would like to see how I did it. Good luck !

These are the seats.Screenshot_2014-11-23-08-40-29.png

They are going for 238.00 , I'm just trying to keep some cost down but you know the old you get what you pay for thing. Sorry for not posting a pic. The old 510 seats you sit so high up in and they are not that comfortable. It's also hard to get time these days to get to any junk yards, they are mostly crushing everything down here these days. Just wondering if anyone has used these type seats and where they worth buying or is it better to stay away from them. I will not be using the car as a daily driver so they would see limited use. Thanks for any info.

They are going for 238.00 , I'm just trying to keep some cost down but you know the old you get what you pay for thing.

With seats, definitely. They will likely be uncomfortable and not last very long.

I bought a set like that once...   B)

Also might matter how you're built. If you're 5'6" and 135 pounds, they'll probably be fine. For awhile.

If you're 6'2" and 240+ pounds, run away.  

You don't need to spend a lot for good comfort and support in a car seat. Frankly those 'racing' seats don't inspire confidence when I see them in a car. Like seeing a full roll cage on the street. Go for a ride? No thanks, unless I drive.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

You don't need to spend a lot for good comfort and support in a car seat. Frankly those 'racing' seats don't inspire confidence when I see them in a car. Like seeing a full roll cage on the street. Go for a ride? No thanks, unless I drive.

I guess I should take out my roll bar, 4 point harness, and seats... Lol

Listen to Datzen Mike! I repholstered my 1967 RL 411 front bucket seats all too many years ago. Thanksfully the RL411 had computed the front buckets as part of the whole suspension / driveability equation. A quick trip to Evan's Upholstery in Lawndale CA fitted me with several yards of "Wallaby" upholstery which exactly matched the original JDM seat vinyl. A quick sign up with the local Adult furniture reupholstery course got my seats looking at least as new as the day I bought my car. I don't know what an upholstery shop would charge, but I Spent a whole lot less and got my seats exactly as new as as anyone could want them to look!

By the way! The original foam in the seat and back were as good as new. The Instructor of the workshop was very impresssed with the excellent workmanship of the then 40 year old Yokohama seat builders!

Go to a local wrecking yard and sit in a few cars. Make a list and to see what they want for them. Not rocket science... do they fit? feel good? lots of lateral support? good adjustment range? lumbar adjustment?

Sensible shoes..... look it up.

Screenshot_2014-11-23-08-40-29.png

Are they worth it?

Well if it's a look you want you can't put a price on that.

If it's a good seat you want lumbar supportive, laterally supportive, comfortable, adjustable, and economical....  then other options have been suggested.

Think Autozone 200$ race seats of concrete are the same ones.

This.   ^^^

Bought some like that once. Most uncomfortable pieces of shit ever.   :sneaky:

Get some OEM seats from a junkyard, or spend a little extra on something good.   :thumbup:

These are super comfy and relatively inexpensive?  http://corbeau.com/fx1-pro.html

Or if you need folding seats...  http://corbeau.com/gts-ii.html