Sr20det question new to this

I just bought an s13 sr20det for my datsun 510 it came with walbro 255, excedy stage 1 clutch, z32 maf and a tunable ecu guy said i could tune it to whatever set up. Okay now for the question all i need is turbo and injectors fors anyone gave experience using the cx racing turbo kit for 510 or should i just get name brand like garrett also im planning on running gt2871 and 550cc injectors

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't a DET come with a turbo and injectors? If it did, run them. If it didn't where are they?

I just bought an s13 sr20det for my datsun 510 it came with walbro 255, excedy stage 1 clutch, z32 maf and a tunable ecu guy said i could tune it to whatever set up. Okay now for the question all i need is turbo and injectors fors anyone gave experience using the cx racing turbo kit for 510 or should i just get name brand like garrett also im planning on running gt2871 and 550cc injectors

"the guy said:...." :rolleyes:

Get a brand name there are enough Chinese crap turbos as 'kits' on flea-bay used on ricer civics... beware. Does this 'SR" have the exhaust manifold for a turbo? An intake for the injectors? Did you get a 5 speed transmission for an SR with the engine?

Have you any experience with engine swaps? This is a big undertaking that usually results with a 510 stripped and unfinished... then sold.

The 'turbo kit for 510'... is that for an SR20 turbo kit for a 510, or one for an L series engine for a 510?  Big difference.

Im pretty sure its a turbo motor and no it doesnt have turbo manifold Thats all it needs tho to be turn key just turbo , manifold and injectors

I know nothing about this swap but I do know...

For one you need a fuel return line to the tank

Cross member flipped or custom oil pan.

Custom rad.

Motor mounts

Convert to run internally regulated alternator.

Stock exhaust will be a bit restrictive.

Custom drive shaft.

Install EFI wiring

Throttle cable swap.

Custom transmission mount made.

Why would it blow up?? And i pretty much know whats needed ima flip cross member i know they sell radiator and intercooler already but i still need to do little research i bet you guys guna think its crazy but im bearly 19 going to college and working and doing this swap haha

Buying an SR... actually a non complete SR and then doing the research seems kind of backwards.

Geez last month you were 24.... http://community.ratsun.net/user/11780-ilovedatsun510/

and ............................ http://community.ratsun.net/user/13556-datt-510/.... no post yet?

I built my latest SR swapped 510 while working on a post graduate degree, and I can tell you straight up, it was the only thing that kept me sane. That being said, I had a lot of time, space, and financial support from my brother. 

Don't throw good money at a cx, go the extra mile and get a twin scroll GT2871R, you'll be glad you did. The ECU you have there is not tunable like a stand alone might be. You have a stock ECU that can be re-flashed, but not tunable in real time. Re-flashing is usually done with a totally stock setup to get more out of it. A stock setup is a known quantity, but re-flashing your setup would be a shot dark, because there is no way of calculating all the variables in a totally unique set up. Log exhaust manifold or pipe, stock intake, or aftermarket, 2" or 3" exhaust, SR or Z32 maf, high flow intercooler or, POS stock, T25 or T28 boosted at 7-14 psi, 330-550 injectors. All of those things must be adjusted for. but they also interact with each other as a unique system. 

Top mount turbo manifold is a must. The steering box of the 510 is right in the way of the down pipe of the stock bottom mount manifold. 

What mods have been done to the brakes, suspension, dif, axles? all of this will have to be upgraded to handle what that SR will dish out. A stock R160 dif and U-joint axles will fail on the first had launch. Truth is swapping the motor is the easy part.

• Like 1

A tunable ECU would be a great addition, but it can be a real budget buster. Buying the damn thing is just the start, then you need to find someone to tune it. Tons of shops out there with a dyno, but very few people actually know how to use one. It's an art form. You can upload custom maps to flash your stock ecu into the ball park. I would also invest in a piggyback boost controller, an adjustable fuel regulator, and an O2 sensor. This way you can adjust your mixture via fuel pressure, see what it's doing at the O2 gauge, and make grouse timing adjustment at the CAS. The timing and mixture curves will remain constant, but this can get you into a safe tune. Nowhere near optimal though.

On the add it said "Tuned ECU". Tuned for what? Who did the tuning? Can they give you the map they used? Ask the seller for this info. In upper NorCal there's a guy named Andrew who builds a lot of SR 510s. He also machines a very nice short shifter for the SR tranny. He may know something about your motor, or at very lease be a great local resource. 

A Subi R180 LSD is a good way to go, but be prepared to do some searching, or spending. There are donor cars out there with a bolt up replacement R180 LSD, but they are getting hard to find. Another option is to get one out of a WRX sti 2005-07. Newer and better plate assembly, but they take a 27 spline stub end and the 510 axles stub ends are 25. There is a company Beta Motorsports that machines a 27 spline stub with the 510 axle coupler. Only thing is they go for $500 a pair. As for axles you can upgrade to heavier U-joints or get new ready made CV axle setup. Troy Ermish and Wolf Racing
make them.

At the beginning of a project, everywhere you look it's work and money in all directions. The finished car is the goal, but focusing on one job at a time will get you there. Remember this is a creative outlet, pat yourself on the back every time you complete something and enjoy the path. It can be a great stress reliever, or a stress amplifier depending on how you approach it.

Dat-Zen-510