Does anyone make a drop spindle set for 1980 Datsun 720?

ruckycharms

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would do is go out and find a 1986 Nissan 720 or the equivalent in the hardbody(I don't know which years) and buy everything between the balljoints, including the balljoints on both sides, and take yours out and bolt the new stuff in and get it functioning, then you can take it all apart again to switch it all over to the drop spindles.

I have already contacted Bell Tech. They had no answers for me except that they only make one for Hardbodys. Any information you guys have would be great! Thank you in advance... rucky

GUAM671 had already mentioned this, but I decided to repeat it with a little more info. :)

• Like 2

Those are great solutions, But the point is to not have to do all that. My question is, does anyone make a drop spindle set? I am aware that I could fashion something up if need be. I want to know if any manufacturer makes a bolt in application that will fit my year.

Thank you guys!

alain

• Like 1

Those are great solutions, But the point is to not have to do all that. My question is, does anyone make a drop spindle set? I am aware that I could fashion something up if need be. I want to know if any manufacturer makes a bolt in application that will fit my year.

Thank you guys!

alain

No. Wayno's post explains the closest "bolt-in" mod.

• Like 1

They fit any of the ball joint trucks back to 78, but the brakes on the early trucks are different and much more complicated. It's best to toss those anyway. Bonus is vented rotors from the hardbody. 

720 drop spindle on 78 620 ball joints. This is with the 78 620 hub as well. 

06042007003.jpg

• Like 2

I use the early hubs on all my frontends, that way I can put any rim I want on it, from a 520 rim(possibly even a 320 rim, never tried it), to the 620 disc brake rim, the only thing I have ever had to do is use a regular hammer to knock down the high spots on the insides of the early rims when I was using dual piston hardbody calipers.

Funny thing is that originally I didn't have to knock the high points down, the rims cleared everything before I changed the brake pads, but the part of the calipers that lets the caliper float to center had rusted solid, so I hit it with a hammer a couple times to try and break it loose, and I must have bent it, as it didn't clear the rims anymore after that, I actually had to take it apart to break it loose, after I put it back together it didn't clear, but I believe I bent it with the hammer.

I believe the biggest issue with drop spindles is the fact that one cannot use 14 inch rims anymore, and that the outer tie rods need modifications.

• Like 1

I put drop spindles on my '82 about 20 yrs. ago(wow!). I used '85 720 hubs/brakes/rotors. They will push your track width out about 1/4-3/8in. on each side. You will also have to cut some threads off of your tie rods(about 1in.). I found this out the hard way, drove to a truck show with some major toe-out, chewed my tires up! I was able to fit 15" pathfinder steelies by trimming the ends of the strut/compression rod where it mounts to the LCA. I believe the inside lip of the rim would barely clear the LCA at full turn. I'm running 16's now. My spindles are Superior brand, not sure if they still make them, but I believe AIM industries/airbagit.com makes one. They are the same as hardbody, like Wayno points out you have to use spacers for the calipers.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

On the later model 720 trucks follow the Belltech instructions of 1/4" cut off per side (driver passenger).  Remember you can always cut more off if you need to.

On the 80 720 chassis under my 520 I had to cut about an inch of per side.  To get the toe correct and have adjustment as DATKAOS stated above..

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Need a little help. I have a 1982 Datsun 720 and it’s a 2wd Base model. I bought the 2” drop spindles without realizing that the brakes/hub would not fit. So, I read the above and went and bought new hubs for a 1986/1987 model but, they are the same as my old ones and don’t fit. Anyone know what the part number is for the hubs that I need?

• Like 1

The reason for the hub change is the vented rotors and calipers to match the rotors and in reality the only difference in the early and late 720 2wd hubs is the diameter of the of the hub where the wheel sets.  I have run both early and late hubs on my 1980 720 chassis running the Beltech 2" drop spindles under my 66 520.  The later hubs can be turned down to fit the stock wheels.  Mike Klotz did videos on this when he was developing his disc brake kits.

The vented rotor caliper bolts are spaced differently than the non vented rotor caliper so the non vented calipers will not bolt to the Beltech lowered spindles.

Also, all upper and lower 720 2wd control arms are the same it is the early and late spindles that are different.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3