Project Doolittle, '68 2000

datsunfreak

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fun, but it looks a bit like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Kinda kills the whole "simplicity" of the car, right?

I saw this today, and it got me curious...

20141113_120913.jpg

Ever seen an H20 in a Roadster? Monster OHV two liter. Apparently being based on the R16 engine means it bolts right into the car too...

Only rated at 99hp, but at 122ft.lb of torque, it sounds like quite the stump puller...

The H20 is a common forklift motor.

http://www.wholesaleforkliftparts.com/category_s/92.htm

If you do an 'L' series motor, I do believe the cam cover will hit the hood.

H20 is a great option for the Roadster.  Shifty has one in his car, Scraps, with a set of 40mm Mikuni's on it and she is a little monster.  The only complaint is that the head can't keep up with the carbs.  That will be fixed with a fresh R16 head that has had some port work done and a bigger set of valves.  A cheaper way to get a stoker motor than building one from scratch.  There are pages of info on this over on 311s.org..

Then an L-series is a step up then?   ;)

Not necesarily. The roadster 2 liter engine with the NISMO cam and twin Delortos [or Mikunis] if carefully assembled and tuned has been "rumored" to develop 150 Horse Power. NISMO could not claim that number without jeopardizing the class within which the roadster 2 liter engine madified to factory authorized configuration were rated. Some wild claims of 165 Horsepower should be taken with a grain of salt [with or without a Margarita].
  • Like 1

The U20 has 1.75" intake ports and 1.75" intake valves, coupled with 46mm SUs, 135hp and a 7000 rpm redline - stock - it is way beyond an L series. A properly sorted H20 with some head work and 46mm SUs would have a good amount of grunt more so then an L series imho. If you have an R16, all you need is the H20 crank and rods, trim the piston skirts and your good to go 122lbs of torque! Plus you don't have to butcher up the frame.

http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsunsr31167.html

The U20 has 1.75" intake ports and 1.75" intake valves, coupled with 46mm SUs, 135hp and a 7000 rpm redline - stock - it is way beyond an L series. A properly sorted H20 with some head work and 46mm SUs would have a good amount of grunt more so then an L series imho. If you have an R16, all you need is the H20 crank and rods, trim the piston skirts and your good to go 122lbs of torque! Plus you don't have to butcher up the frame.

http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsunsr31167.html

And thanks to the roadster crowd you can get up to 40 thousands oversized pistons to add to the fun [and horsepower].

Not necesarily. The roadster 2 liter engine with the NISMO cam and twin Delortos [or Mikunis] if carefully assembled and tuned has been "rumored" to develop 150 Horse Power.

The U20 has 1.75" intake ports and 1.75" intake valves, coupled with 46mm SUs, 135hp and a 7000 rpm redline - stock - it is way beyond an L series.

It was meant as more of a joke, fellas.  ^_^

But thanks for the info.   :thumbup:

If you have an R16...

Unfortunately, I do not. All I have is a giant pile of L-series stuff.   B)

• 8 months later...

Another project has fallen by the wayside, so some of those parts will soon be finding their way into this one...

16x8 Watanabe RS-8s. Two had perfect lips (left) two had scratches on the lips (right)...

20150805_194005.jpg

Disassemble time. Faces washed and sent off to be powdercoated...

20150805_203417.jpg

Now to sand, polish, and re-clearcoat the two scratched barrels...

20150805_203754.jpg

Also wanting to get an early 510 valve cover powdercoated to match the wheels...

20150806_133655.jpg

Decided to remove the wiring loom hump...

20150806_140007.jpg

Still trying to decide between using my L18 (slow but easy) and using a KA24E (fast but more difficult) I found for a good price. 

If it's the L18, I also recently picked up a longtail dogleg 5spd trans...

20150706_173126.jpg  20150706_173115.jpg

Going to try and test fit the L18 soon and see what it needs to get in there...

• Like 2