Project Doolittle, '68 2000

datsunfreak

Welp. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Roadster. Been wanting one for almost 20 years now, and finally had one just fall in my lap so I couldn't say no...  :rofl:

20141025_174157.jpg

20141025_175410.jpg

Not much to look at right now, but it's fairly straight, and all the parts are there (minus the engine). 

Not sure what I want to do drivetrain-wise, but an SR20DE sounds really good. We shall see...   B)

And the project name derives from the obvious (I'm super busy and will only be able to do a little at a time), and perhaps the not so obvious (this). Updates as they happen, but don't hold your breath...   B)

• Like 2
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what you want to eventually end up with, "original" or "who cares, it's driveable", you have a lot of time and money to go!   Just go and get to the point where you loose interest and have "modified" the roadster to the point that no one wants the carcase and it ends up in the dumpster!  Two liter roadster are the "future collectable" of JNC cars so don't do anything stupid.

Two liter roadster are the "future collectable" of JNC cars so don't do anything stupid.

No plans to. If the original engine were still there, I'd love to keep it all original. Since it's not, I'm just brainstorming the least invasive options. An L16/L18/L20b would probably be the smartest option (I'd definitely finish it), and an SR20DE the slightly less smart option (not 100% sure I'd finish it). Either option requires minor mods to the front crossmember. An L-series would at least look stock to most people.

And I honestly don't care if it's "fast" or not, so I even considered an A15 (no chassis mods there)...    :rofl:

Good luck finding a RHD dash in the US of A.

Didn't think I would.   ;)

Use this car to fix the 70 2000.  I know everybody wants a 67.5 2L but the 70 2L has the lowest production numbers of all the Roadsters.

I honestly couldn't care less about year or engine. Only thing that matters to me is it being a tall windshield car. I would prefer to fix the '70, but simply because it's silver and not red.  ^_^

If it looks cool, and is fun to drive, I don't really need/want it to be fast, so...

If it looks cool, and is fun to drive, I don't really need/want it to be fast, so...

You know what they say. Way more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.  I own both a 1600 and a 2000 and neither one of them would I consider fast. But they are quick off the line and handle great.  I drive the 67 A code Mustang when I want to go fast.

Welp. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Roadster. Been wanting one for almost 20 years now, and finally had one just fall in my lap so I couldn't say no...  :rofl:

20141025_174157.jpg

20141025_175410.jpg

Not much to look at right now, but it's fairly straight, and all the parts are there (minus the engine). 

Not sure what I want to do drivetrain-wise, but an SR20DE sounds really good. We shall see...   B)

And the project name derives from the obvious (I'm super busy and will only be able to do a little at a time), and perhaps the not so obvious (this). Updates as they happen, but don't hold your breath...   B)

Well congrats on the car brother! Old car deserves to drive slow and any car in your local walmart parking lot is faster than the roadster, but so what. Look at some truly original cars and i'm sure you'll see the light.

Look at some truly original cars and i'm sure you'll see the light.

I've looked at a few hundred so far, not convinced yet...   ^_^

I certainly don't want anything visible to be modified. And as I said, if I had a U20 I'd be glad to use it. Only considering other options because I don't. 

This?

It would be fun, but it looks a bit like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag. Kinda kills the whole "simplicity" of the car, right?

I saw this today, and it got me curious...

20141113_120913.jpg

Ever seen an H20 in a Roadster? Monster OHV two liter. Apparently being based on the R16 engine means it bolts right into the car too...

Only rated at 99hp, but at 122ft.lb of torque, it sounds like quite the stump puller...

• Like 1

i don't know, i'm stuck on the vg motors for some reason. but yeah, not simplistic at all

i would say either a good l motor or something but i don't know how easy that would be either

that last one shows promise, just need a cleaned up valve cover and maybe some dressing for it, although, you're probably thinking that anyways

i don't know, i'm stuck on the vg motors for some reason. but yeah, not simplistic at all

Oh, I'm with you. My '68 wagon is getting a VG33, so I don't hate on them at all. 

i would say either a good l motor or something but i don't know how easy that would be either

L-series requires one minor mod to the crossmember for oil pump clearance, but it's a pretty straightforward swap. And it at least looks stock...

that last one shows promise, just need a cleaned up valve cover and maybe some dressing for it, although, you're probably thinking that anyways

No doubt. Heck, it even looks like the ribbed aluminum valve cover from the R16 might fit it?