My "barnfind" Datsun 1600 pickup!

Spiff

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels came in, they looked way better in the photos, the paintjob on them is horrible, so my plan of just sanding down the "spokes" and outer ring went down the drain; these are gonna need media blasting and a new paintjob first.

Fitment was good though, no more poking out of the fenders :)

DSC_0011.jpg

I was also gonna install the drop spindles and  all the work of changing one only to find out they don't fit the 83  :(

So I'm gonna need new brakes and I'm thinking of just buying the d21 vg30 calipers and discs as I believe these are a bolt on upgrade?

Heres the caliper not fitting:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg 

• Like 1

If you want an even better brake upgrade, you can use pathfinder parts (if they sold those where you live). This will all bolt to your new spindle with only one small modification. I posted a thread showing how this works out here - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66968-720-brake-upgrade/

• Like 1

If you want an even better brake upgrade, you can use pathfinder parts (if they sold those where you live). This will all bolt to your new spindle with only one small modification. I posted a thread showing how this works out here - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/66968-720-brake-upgrade/

Good one! But I ended up buying the 86 d21 rotors and calipers. Hopefully they'll be here next week or so! 

Had a cruise with some friends the other day,  finally some cars that are smaller than mine  :lol:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

• Like 3

So when I bought this truck I found an old ESSO oildrop man keychain in it, or what was left of him, I thought it was cool so I decided to clean it up, make a pedestal for it and im gonna put him on my dashboard so he can greet everybody :)

DSC_0019.jpg

• Like 3

'Yota wheels:

DSC_0025.jpg

Nissan forklifter lifting a nissan engine in a nissan truck:

DSC_0024.jpg

Got my new brake setup. D21 stuff. Testmounted on the drop spindles and together with the 720 hubs.

DSC_0026.jpg

inside the wheels:

DSC_0027.jpg

Also my search for an lsd is proving fruitfull having sourced a rear h190 rear axle with a factory lsd, only downside is after having a really good look at my own axle I do believe mine has the smaller H165, so my thoughts of just replacing the diff unit fell apart. 

I'm gonna need to swap the entire axle...

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So, engine swap is nearing, hopefully I'll get it done this weekend... The engineswap itself isn't the problem, it's the wiring and all carb to efi related stuff that takes time coupled with the fact I want things to look clean and I also want to hide some wiring, so thats gonna take some time. I spent all last weekend disassembling the Z24 and cleaning it up, funny how one small thing leads to another. Lots of work but endend up pretty good.

th_DSC_0001_1.jpg

th_DSC_0007_1.jpg

Don't know If I've mentioned it but I'm combining the Z20E and the Z24 to build a Z24E. Since they're similar there's not a whole lot of stuff that needs to be done, just remove the carb manifold and fuel pump, put on the z20e blockoff plate and some portmatching of the inlet manifold. You could bolt it straight up but I like to believe that making the ports match up might be good for something... 

Here's a work in progress pic of opening up the manifold ports.

th_DSC_0008.jpg

For the rest of the conversion i have the stock z20e wiring harness and ecu. I got a free fuelpump with armature from a friend for a bmw 320 that I'm retrofitting to the fueltank. I will need to put in a return line for the fuel injection so I have bought 8mm copper pipe for that, along with new fuel lines. 

• Like 1

I don't know, it might be the angle of the picture. It should fit 15" wheels and upwards according to the guys who has run these lowering spindles.

Still haven't got the engine in the car, progress has been slow, lack of motivation I guess. I hate wiring so that might be part of it. Spent the last day rerouting the engine harness and also trying to figure out how to connect the efi to the car.

Here's the old layout, with the harness over the manifold.

DSC_0012_1.jpg

I wanted to hide it so ended up removing the old tape and rearrange some of the wiring.

DSC_0015_1.jpg

DSC_0016_1.jpgDSC_0017_1.jpgDSC_0018.jpg

It's missing the piping for pcv,air regulator and emissions stuff. I'll add that but as soon as the swap has been approved I'll clean it up and remove the emissions stuff...

I also needed a dropping resistor for the injectors, luckily I had one from a s13 so I'll just cut the plugs off and solder on some new ones.DSC_0020_1.jpg

Trying to make some sense of it all...DSC_0019_1.jpg

Also here's the rest of the intake manifold porting, I also needed to mill out a small section of the ports on the head so the injector spray isn't blocked. Same with the manifold gasket.

DSC_0010_1.jpgDSC_0009_1.jpgDSC_0011_1.jpg

• Like 1

Researching this today and it seems the rubber mounts are the same across all 720's regardless of engine, also the engine mounting brackets share partnumbers on the 720, so with this engine coming from a D21 I need the brackets that sit on the side of the engine block from a 720. SD- diesel or Z20/22/24 or L20B gasoline.

• Like 1

The L20B Steel Mounts are different as the engine slants the opposite direction.  I know this because I own a 1980 720 L20B and a 1985 &1986 720 Z24. 

Weird that they share the same partnumbers then. 

Anyways, 720's never came with l20's or z24's here, most where diesel so I'm hoping those can be used as I know of a couple standing around.... If not then my hopes are someone in the us can gather a set for me...

• Like 1

A j16, which shares nothing with the other engines, I've tried using the mounts from that but that didn't work either.

I'm waiting for some diesel mounts right now so we'll see. If that don't work then there's a guy on Facebook that was willing to part with some genuine z24 mounts from the 720. Fingers crossed....

• Like 1

These are the part numbers I came up with for the metal mounts that bolt to the block. USA Vehicles.

1980 720 L20B 2WD

Left   11232-05W01

Right   11230-05W00

1983 720 Z22 2WD

Left   11233-06W00

Right   11232-06W00

1986 720 Z24 2WD

Left   11233-30W02

Right   11232-30W02

1986 D21 Z24 2WD

Left   11233-01G00

Right  11232-01G10

1996 D21 Ka24E

Left   11233-86G00

Right   11232-01G02

Thanks, I've been using nissan4u.com which obviously haven't been so great. 

I didn't see your post in time or else I could have gotten the pictures for you. I'll get them next time.

So there's a difference even between the Z22 and Z24? Or are they the same since the first five digits in the part numbers are the same?

• Like 1