My "barnfind" Datsun 1600 pickup!

Spiff

What? The bulge? Aren't all 720's like that?

I got them from something called the Datsun/pmc register which is a club/register for datsuns and pmcs here in Norway. They also have a heap of parts which they sell, acquired from dealers who sold out theyre remaining stock when parts got to old to keep in inventory.

Hey spliff 1st of all nice score that's a solid truck!

2nd does that site have an English option?

• Like 1
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey spliff 1st of all nice score that's a solid truck!

2nd does that site have an English option?

Nope, you might get a half decent result with Google translate though.

If there's something you're wondering about then send them a mail, I'm pretty sure they speak English ;-)

I haven't opened the rear drum but the wheel cylinder wasn't more than a couple of bucks thanks to rockauto :-)

• Like 1

All the 720's I've seen lack the bulge on the lens. Maybe it goes with the round headlights?

I don't think so as my old 83 4x4 had the same bulge and square lights. I belive it's because of regulations, indicators need to be visible from a certain angle and as these don't have side repeaters there's this bulge to satisfy regulations. Same thing on the 910 and similar cars of the era :-)

• Like 1

It's more about the year of the 720, not the model, at least in the US.

2wd and 4wd have the same marker lights with some trim color differences, in 1983 they went with a lower headlight position, so everything else was changed also.

Huh. I didn't know they had different side markers besides the 2wd/4wd. Sweet score on the NOS.

• Like 1

What about the rope tie downs welded on his bed instead of the chrome bolt on ones, tiny mirrors, and that if those are the original rims; they are crazy unique! They don't have the slits in them like the U.S. 2-wheel drive versions do, rather they have holes like the 4x4s. But even that isn't the same, the U.S. 4x4s had nine circles in there circumference. Does one have to join that club to buy stuff? I found the website, google chrome translates nicely, but don't see anywhere to email them. I would gladly pay shipping to find some parts I've been searching for.

• Like 1

You have an eye for detail, you caught the bed hooks, I also assumed the wheels were 4wd rims, but you are correct, them rims have about 14 holes.

It also has the early tailgate latches.

I have stock 720 mirrors on my 1980 Datsun 720.

DSCN0055.JPG

What about the rope tie downs welded on his bed instead of the chrome bolt on's, tiny mirrors, and that if those are the original rims; they are crazy unique! They don't have the slits in them like the U.S. 2-wheel drive versions do, rather they have holes like the 4x4s. But even that isn't the same, the U.S. 4x4s had nine circles in there circumference. Does one have to join that club to buy stuff? I found the website, google chrome translates nicely, but don't see anywhere to email them. I would gladly pay shipping to find some parts I've been searching for. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Couple of weeks ago I took the mazda and went on a roadtrip and ended up with a bent bandit 1200 and a Z20E with a 5speed manual :)

DSC_0003.JPG

I also got a spare head with manifolds....

On boxing day I installed it in my datsun....sort of ;)

DSC_0023.JPG

I also tried to fire up the datsun and it fired up on the third try, not bad considering it hasn't been started in a month or two, warmed it up and took her for spin quite literally since it's on summer tires :)

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...

Time to get this back on the road! First priority: Getting it road legal, as first posted it failed the "periodic vehicle control" based on all the balljoints beeing shot, endlinks deteriorated, no function on the RR brake, tires beeing to old and cracked and visible oil leak from the valve cover.

So, in to the mess of a garage:

DSC_0055.JPG

dismantle everything:

DSC_0056.JPG

Get help from local shop because nothing I did was enough to free the balljoints! Assembling is the easy part ;)

DSC_0057.JPG

The rear right brake cylinder was replaced, upon dissasembly the old one was seized and the cylinder had rust water under the rubber seals...

I also have some brand new 15x8 chromespoke wheels that's getting new rubber this week so all that's sorted then I'll get it approved and road legal by the end of the week hopefully!! :)

• Like 2

New wheels installed:

DSC_0010.JPG

Screwed up on the ET though:

DSC_0009.JPG

So I'm kind of on the lookout for some fender flares, preferably the oem 4x4 but if anyone knows anything else that fits then give me a shout. I have looked at the "universal JDM fender flares" you find on ebay but I'm not sure... Anyone have some pics to convince me?

• Like 2