Its only a 4door......

EastBay521

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you abuse my Eleanor!!! :)  She's been through enough.  But yeah, she needs a bit of work to be good.  If you're going to rally it, it's a good car to start with.  Body is solid, if not beat up, particularly in the rear.

To answer your questions, rear brakes are Beebani's brackets with '85 Maxima rear calipers and 200sx rotors.  They are NOT mounted correctly, you need to put a rubber line inbetween the caliper and the feed line so it can float.  I screwed up that one.  :(  Still worked for three years like that.  Diff is a stock 510 diff, I took out my limited slip.  No you can't have it. ;)

Only ever had one key for the car, the guy should have had that.  Coilovers were a ground control kit, but I used different springs with different mounting heights.  Think I ran 10" springs in the front.  Rear are cut SSS springs.  Fronts are uncut SSS springs.  (Circle track)  Think 200 pound in front or 150 and 500 in rear.

Glad someone is doing something with her.  I really thought those guys who bought it were all gung-ho, guess their eyes were bigger than their stomachs.

I sold them the KA with the car, that crossmember was set up for 240sx dohc KA.

• Like 2

Fuckin sick videos now I really cant wait to get it going. thanks for the info too that is going to come in handy. its is going to be a bit of work but nothing that cant be done. and it makes it easier that most of the pieces are there. I was supposed to get the swap when I picked up the car but the dude sold it before I got there and gave me a bitchin deal. but fortunately I have an s14 the I picked up for a bitchin deal aswell that its awaiting to be rebuilt and dropped in. 

• Like 1

No new updates to report other than i spent a few minutes mounting my headlights and plugged them in. gona try and come back next week with a battery and cable to get my lights going. get paid this comming friday so im gonna order valve seals and bearings from Ni$$an for the ka. still hunting for a 5spd....

unnamed_zps32f121fa.jpg

• Like 2

As farad the280zx trans on a KA it does work fine with a napz bell housing. All the bolts lined up for me. Make shire you keep the front cover from your original bell housing. There are two different size input shaft bearings. If I had paid attention I would have saved myself some money and struggles of having to change out that bearing.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, about the struts.  Those are 280zx struts, but they're the pair with one side having more camber factory than the other.  I can't remember if it was the early struts that do that or the late struts.  Either way, get another pair.  I think I gave him a pair, you didn't get those with the car?  5 speed shouldn't be hard to find.  You can use a truck 5 speed from a 2wd also, that'll work just fine.  Only difference is a little gearing and the shifter is longer, IIRC.  I think the bellhousing pattern is the same.  Hmm, now I'm wondering.  If it isn't, just have a machinist make you an adapter plate.

• Like 1

No struts with the car. Friday I went to try and buy an 81 zx from some kid who didn't have anything holding down his battery and it bounced up and made contact with the hood and fried the harness pretty good. im assuming ecu aswell. he posted it on cl for $900 and when I get there he says price is firm, i  offer $700 and tell him im taking a risk because i cant drive the car to see how the tranny is since that was the main reason i was getting the car. seats were clean the dude gave me some 2door seats but those are boring. he text me 2days later and says he will take $850 but i never got back to him.

not to worried on suspension rite now just want to be able to drive it. if its was good enough for you as is its good enough for me. once it is driving i was thinking about a t3 set for the rear but have a feeling im going to go with ground control due to price

The suspension it has really isn't bad, other than the camber plates that were on it are on my Maxima.  T3 work great, reasonably priced, but you can also get knock off 240sx cheap plates off ebay that will work on a budget.  I can't remember if one of the struts was leaking.  It might have just been tire shavings on it.  The struts were new in '09, probably only saw 15-20k miles since I sold it.  But those were hard miles, jumping, rallying, screwing around, etc.  To tell you'll just have to undo the springs and test the insert.  And don't pay $900 for a beat ass 81 z, that's highway robbery.  Wait until it's in pull and save, then grab the struts if you want the matching mirror image pair.  It's aesthetics really, the car handled fine with the offset struts.

• Like 1