datsun 1200 rear independent suspension

antonf

hey guys and girls, my names anton and im building a 1981 datsun 1200 ute up with datsun 510 sedan rear independent suspension , im keen to find out weather anyone else has done this kind of modification ... finding info is extremely hard im about half way through it all at the moment with still seeking advice etc from a certifier so my utes legal to drive on the road.

hopefully someone can help etc  cheers

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have bee several tries to add IRS to the 510 wagon (estate car?) http://community.ratsun.net/topic/47413-510-goon-irs-swap-goin-lower/page-4

Try "IRS swap into 510 wagon" in the search function on the upper right of every page. There may be a few good tips. Also try IRS into a 521 or maybe the 620.

thanks guys for your fast replies. and yea thats true the states doesnt get the 1200 utes not the unibodies anyway, unless like you say its imported... 

so i have some pictures of it so far its all just mocked up for welding still adjusting bits and pieces to suit ...........   Full_Size_Render_6.jpg

top view its a challange beacuse im keeping it all below the tray so i can still use it like a normal ute.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

still unsure of the set up coming off the arm i had to cut the old suspension hanger off to get the right angle on the shock.

photo_4.jpg

this is what it looks like atm redoing the front as a lady crashed into the front of it when i was cruising at night... so guttered but owell its gotten better than ever.

i will post some more pics up when i get more and better angles etc of everything so people can see what im doing.photo_1.jpg

im changing the angle of shocks its a picture of before i modified it more.. thought i would post it just so you guys can see how it all sits under it.

yea the angles is a bit much iv got some new bits im making and putting in , and not so close to the ground .  my aim is to take out as much angle as i can but try not to go up any higher so i can still use the tray like a normal ute.. if that makes sence. i have thought about it if i need to go higher through the tray il rasie the floor of the tray to suit.

since i joined this forum iv come across so many other people that have done irs conversions in other cars and have seen there ideas to help me modify my stuff to get the irs into my datsun 1200 ute.

haha i dont quite get that but its funny .  i dont know weather many of you guys no but new zealand laws require a certification for the modifications im doing so everything has to be discussed with the certifier to make sure its ok to do it and thicknesses of material etc, currently talking to him as we speak to sort out the problems so i can carry on to finish it all off.