Meet Pepper...a spicy, rusty 1973 240z / Welding class thread

skyblue

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some more bondo/paint removal. Used a heat gun this time. And it worked great.

1434EA6F-364E-4E4A-B77E-7862679C9EAA_zps

Got all bondo and paint off rear hatch piece. I knew it was toast and I'm replacing it anyways, but I wanted to see how bad really it was under all that bondo.

6ED41B11-3F16-42C1-8197-5D4294D22884_zps

96B0D127-C4E6-4ED7-B65F-7474DE45A8D7_zps

4B91EBFF-5C29-4B26-BE9A-44A0E288D132_zps

1B8D5DC4-7547-4D48-9154-53AD52F5F265_zps

9EAB4817-A943-4525-9F84-F95D96662503_zps

4F036C79-FE78-48BF-8D04-E439C1BFA8C4_zps

C683F245-BD62-45F2-A55B-A7976A6286B6_zps

• Like 2

you should get paint stripper for the whole car, maybe even that aircraft paint stripper it'll eat through fiberglass too. not sure about bondo though. sry bout all that rust btw

Actually I did start out using paint stripper. But once I got to the bondo layer it was taking too much stripped to remove. So I researched how to remove bondo and heat was one option that I decided to try. Thanks. Lol

Wow. That's bad. Why don't you grab a CA shell without 90% of that rust and bondo?

Well that would be too easy. Lol. I thought about that. But in the end I realized this would be a good car to practice my welding/body work/patching skills on. Plus I'd be taking a pretty big loss. So I will make the best of what I got.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

try pushing back into your puddle a bit more, you will get more uniform sides 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weave Patterns

Circular Pattern: Used for flat position welds on butt, tee, outside corner joints and buildup or surfacing applications.

"C", Square Pattern: Good for most flat welds, but can be used for vertical positions.

"J" Pattern: Works well on flat lap joints, and horizontal butt and lap welds.

"T" Pattern: Works well with fillet welds in the vertical and overhead position.

Straight Step Pattern: Used for stringer beads, root pass welds, and multiple pass welds in all positions.

Figure 8, Zigzag: Used as cover passes in the flat and vertical positions.

weave%20patterns.JPG

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to thank you mike for giving me the inspiration to weld. i took the welder out at school today and just went for it

w5_zpslyksrduq.jpg

w1_zpshwwftafv.jpg

w2_zpsvip4alkk.jpg

w4_zpspohjbif9.jpg

w3_zpsihfgttxt.jpg

im assuming it could have been worse for my first attempt... keep comin with the updates youre an inspriation to us all

• Like 6