280zx coil sleeves on 210 struts?

So for starters, yes i do have the 280zx struts (two pairs actually) but the calipers i have for them are shot, and the disks need replacing as well (which i plan to do this winter) the ride height is rather high for my taste especially considering how gutted the car is.  I didn't know if it would be at all practical to cut the spring perches and run the 280zx ground control coil over sleeves on the 210 struts with split collars ?  the strut tube diameter is the same but i noticed that spring perch on the 210 strut is much lower than the 280zx.  Any thoughts on this would be helpful!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 210 perch may be lower but it is much narrower than the 280zx perch and coil. You are likely going to trim the spring to increase the spring rate and this will shorten it. Coil overs are a waste of money.  You can spend hundreds, or as Kieth said, less than $30 for basically the same thing with the same results. Once you get the ride height where you want it, what good is an adjustable coil over you never adjust again????

i do like the idea of adjustable ride height because i would like to run hillclimbs/do track days eventually.  As for the 280zx big brakes, my concern is pedal feel and stopping power with the manual brakes I'm setting up for carb clearance (dual side draft dellortos).   Also, thoughts on lowering the rear?  or just stiffer rate cut springs?

i do like the idea of adjustable ride height because i would like to run hillclimbs/do track days eventually. 

Maybe just me but I don't see regular driving and hill climb/autoX having different ride heights. What's good for autoX/hill climbing would be good for the street... well unless you drag door sills on the street.