• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

KA24DE Frontier motor is ORDERED!   Here's the one I got.  I hate Ebay but this seems like a legit seller and they have 2 more if anyone else is looking.

This will be a turbo build so I've got a lot of planning still to do and parts will slowly be rolling in.  Going for around 300hp if I stick with the stock bottom end.  350-400 if I build the bottom end.  Nothing too wild but should be crazy fun.

Have to decide top mount v.s. bottom mount.  Top mount is super sexy but brake booster will likely be in the way (looking for options there.... any ideas for a smaller one?)

Bottom mount seems easier in a lot of ways and much more common. 

My short list of goodies so far

Garrett T3/T04E ball bearing 60 trim .63 AR

- Honda KA24 COP conversion from NiceTime Racing

- 255lph min fuel pump.

- Unsure on what intake manifold I'll run - suggestions welcome for KA24DET top/side feed

- Bigger injectors for sure - any suggestions?

- Either Link or AEM ECU

Maybe these are better suited for ka-t.org.   lol

On 5/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, datzenmike said:

D21 Hardbody KA24E and DE have steering across the front so the bulge in the oil pan is similar to the 720 and more to the rear.

Mike, are you saying the D21 and Frontier pans are different? Will this cause issues in the '83 720 RWD?  If so can I put a D21 pan on it?  I know the issues with FWD vs RWD.

Edited by ShutterMeShort
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, my rear sump KA24DE arrived yesterday and DAMN is it a good feeling! 

I started tearing into it and looking it over and found cylinder #1 exhaust valves are burnt. Oh well, I didn't have high expectations on an ebay motor!  Since the plans are to turbo it, I was likely going to do a new headgasket, porting, valve job, and new cams anyway!  Let the party begin!

image.thumb.jpeg.7e79b6941bc367db14b04d94baa27535.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.15aa6dbbbbc20069b11914282442a90c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ce2a330855857ba52a5e32f04cf4f7f2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update!  Engine is torn apart and head is at the machine shop.  H-beam rods are potentially acquired.  Possibly going to to build a make-shift flowbench (overkill?) to choose the camshaft

So.  Just realized that 300hp is likely going to DESTROY this transmission in short order.  I do have a spare but that wont do my much good as well.  Any suggestions on a tough transmission that works with a KA24DE?   71C I'm assuming?  bellhousing swap and custom driveline? 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, ShutterMeShort said:

Quick update!  Engine is torn apart and head is at the machine shop.  H-beam rods are potentially acquired.  Possibly going to to build a make-shift flowbench (overkill?) to choose the camshaft

So.  Just realized that 300hp is likely going to DESTROY this transmission in short order.  I do have a spare but that wont do my much good as well.  Any suggestions on a tough transmission that works with a KA24DE?   71C I'm assuming?  bellhousing swap and custom driveline? 

That got out of control way fast! LOL

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The Hardbody truck KA FS5W71C will bolt right up but slightly shorter than the 71B. The S13/14 240sx car 71C will also but it's longer. So lengthen or shorten the driveshaft?

Thats what I was assuming. Thanks as always Mike!  I'm assuming they are a lot tougher but.... how much?  lol

1 hour ago, ShutterMeShort said:

Thats what I was assuming. Thanks as always Mike!  I'm assuming they are a lot tougher but.... how much?  lol

The first use of the 71C was the '84 non turbo 300zx. Nissan kept the T5 from the 280zx turbo and used with the 300zx turbo although I don't think it's that great. Turbo owners who blew up their T5 swapped the 71C in with good results. Turbo KAs in S13/14s handled 400 hp reliably with their 71Cs.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:21 AM, datzenmike said:

The first use of the 71C was the '84 non turbo 300zx. Nissan kept the T5 from the 280zx turbo and used with the 300zx turbo although I don't think it's that great. Turbo owners who blew up their T5 swapped the 71C in with good results. Turbo KAs in S13/14s handled 400 hp reliably with their 71Cs.

Perfect.  Thats exactly what I'm looking for! I think I have a 71C I can get my hands on fairly easily. 

• 7 months later...

Parts have started to arrive.  This is what I have already in hand.

- Kelford cams (260 duration 9.38mm lift)

- Supertech dual valve springs and guide seals

- Jim Wolfe adjustable cam gears

- Eagle H beam rods

I also need to convert the single top timing chain to the dual so I can use the adjustable cam gears (only made for the dual chain).  I'm 90% sure all I need is the timing set-up from a pre-1998 240sx KA and I'm good to go.

I'm almost done with porting and polishing the head and off to the machine shop it goes along with the block.  I'll be using VQ follower buckets so that it's shim-less. Once I get the block back, the search for the right pistons and turbo is next.  The intake side is pretty good from the factory but the exhaust has lots of room to play!

52CC562C-E9F3-43EB-93F4-10FD3D48E27B.JPG

73ABFB8D-F02F-4BA3-80CB-3E04170895BA.JPG

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Edited by ShutterMeShort
  • Like 3