81' 280zx spares question(510 brake upgrade)

Charl

Hi everyone my first post

Ive found a 81 280zx breaking up for spares(very rare to find)

im going to do the front brakes upgrade,with coilovers

my questions what else should I take from the zx?

ive read a lot about how to do the front upgrade,im taking the front strut units 

and master cylinder,is that all needed,for the front upgrade?

my other question is should I take the rear disc brakes aswell,i haven't seen much info on a zx rear upgrade

only the maxima an 200sx upgrade

if I only do the fronts wil my brakes be evenly balanced with the drums in the rear?

ive heard about the oil pump cooler,should I take it... since im going to be using the 510 on track days and maybe in the future for some club racing

im just thinking in advance since these parts don't come by easily

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My rule is... if it's available.. I get it. (and why I have a huge pile of Datsun parts) Years ago I got a set of Maxima struts (very similar to the zx) for free! Had them for several years and thought I would sell them? Anyway I later became the owner of a 710 and suddenly had a use for them myself. If these parts are rare and you can afford to get them, you should. Once they are gone, they are gone forever.

The 15/16" master is a good idea but best if you have power assist brakes. Also it is matched to a possible rear disc brake swap later.

There are write ups for the rear disc brakes. Mostly you will need to make a bracket to hold the caliper. Volume 2 issue 4 of the Dime Quarterly on Google Docs.... https://drive.google.com/folderview?ddrp=1&id=0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1#

Thanks Datzenmike

Ive read the b210 booster will work ? Over here we know it as the Datsun 120y

if I can not get my hands on this booster,is there maybe other Datsuns or Nissan boosters that may work

I also read people use this upgrade without a booster

The 620 trucks used a similar size one to the B-210.

You can run without, but when you increase the master size you also move more fluid and increase the effort. It's like a jack handle. If you hold it out by the end it's easy to pump it and lift the car one inch but if you pump it near the middle that same inch is much harder. Not saying it won't work, just expect the pedle to be much stiffer.