changing/filling transmission gear oil

sdsurf

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there should be a drain plug at the bottom of the case. on teh side of the trans there should be a fill plug. it should be on the pass side. to fill it i would get a couple bottles of the proper fluid and a pump that fits the bottle. they are easy to use so its not difficult to do.

Not sure where the filler plug is on the F4W63 in your 521 but it will be about half way up the side. Remove and insert your finger in the bung hole. Proper oil level is just at the hole level or just below. Do this on level ground.

It's probably a good idea to just drain it and refill with new oil. Remove the drain bung to empty it. Inspect the top of the drain plug, it has a magnet on it to collect feris metal. A black paste is normal, chips and flakes are not. Clean it off so you can monitor any changes the next time you remove it.

To fill, replace bottom bung and run a short length of garden hose down beside the shifter boot. Get a kitchen funnel from a dollar store and fit in the end and have someone slowly pour in the oil. When it runs out the filler bumg, replace the plug and you are done.

the new bottle should have a tip that fits nicely inside of 5/8" ID clear (aquarium) hose :D i do it from the engine bay.

stick the other end of the hose in the bung hole and fill till it spills.

insert your finger in the bung hole.

:lol:

you need to stay away from the proctologist!

the new bottle should have a tip that fits nicely inside of 5/8" ID clear (aquarium) hose :D i do it from the engine bay.

:lol::lol:

Geeze...I wonder why?

jokercp9.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster

I just new saying 'BUNG' would stir something up. Phatdave must still be sleeping. :D

• 1 year later...