Share your Brushes With Death stories.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a 29 Chevy model A sedan rat rod, nearly 600hp small block, 4-speed, got it airborne at what we could estimate 110-130. Car had almost ZERO suspension, no roof, no seat belts and head lights that pointed at the first 5 feet in front of the car, and this was at about 1am....real lucky we didn't loose it....

Hunting when I was about 14, friend of mine was probably 20 yards behind me. I crossed a small creek and he slipped on a rock when he did, damn near shot me. That was probably the closest I've been to death.

Guest Rick-rat

Have had trees fall on me twice when I was logging, 2 strokes, numerous motorcycle crashes when racing, car crashes on the street and on the track, been shot once and stabbed, survived quite a lot of rocket attacks in Viet Nam. When my time comes it will probably be something stupid I am doing  :rofl:

• Like 1

I had a sawed off double barrel 12 ga try to take my hand off two years ago. I pulled both triggers at once while shooting from the hip, cowboy style, and the recoil from both barrels shot the action release lever into the webbing of my hand. Could see daylight through my hand. Went to the emergency room and told them it was a grappling hook accident. They didn't believe me.

I had a sawed off double barrel 12 ga try to take my hand off two years ago. I pulled both triggers at once while shooting from the hip, cowboy style, and the recoil from both barrels shot the action release lever into the webbing of my hand. Could see daylight through my hand. Went to the emergency room and told them it was a grappling hook accident. They didn't believe me.

Probably because grappling hooks don't explode and leave gunpowder residue, other than that is believable.

• Like 2

Probably because grappling hooks don't explode and leave gunpowder residue, other than that is believable.

It was the only thing I could come up with that was oblique enough it just may make sense. But you're absolutely right. I had at least 8 different doctors, nurses, etc, ask me what happened.

I did not want to give any more fuel to the firearms debate.

Have had trees fall on me twice when I was logging, 2 strokes, numerous motorcycle crashes when racing, car crashes on the street and on the track, been shot once and stabbed, survived quite a lot of rocket attacks in Viet Nam. When my time comes it will probably be something stupid I am doing  :rofl:

Holy crap. 9 lives?

Once was driving around in my Ford Courier and screwing around in an open lot, all of a sudden couldn't see anything, just dark.  Stopped the truck and got out.  5 foot from the edge of about a 100 foot gravel pit.  (Might have not been quite that deep, but definitely deeper than the truck.)  That would have been very unpleasant.

The stupidest time I thought I was going to die was a few winters back where I had my carhart arctic suit on and I saw a snow tunnel some kids had made on my walk with the dog.  My dumb ass decides I can probably slide through that like a penguin!  So I go head first and get stuck.  Now, it was only 4 feet, but being wedged in a hole, and not being strong enough (hard pack snow) to break out, and being limited by the arctic suit, you can imagine the feeling of panic and claustrophobia.  After forcing myself to breath calmly, I finally managed to wiggle like an earthworm to the point where I got just enough traction to extract myself.  Now likely, I wouldn't have died, someone would have eventually walked by, but still, it freaked me the heck out.

And there are probably numerous times in the car that I've been scared and probably was near death, but they didn't materialize so oh well.

• Like 1

I was tooling around my neighborhood (Mission Hills, San Diego) on my GSXR 1100 when I hear another bike behind me. Before I know it we were getting on it dicing it out. There were a lot of canyons where I lived and at one point we started down an incline into a small canyon that had a hard left at the bottom starting up, then a quick right heading back up along the other side. The bottom left was really off camber and there was a house on the short little left right corner. As we're heading down, there is a van in front of us. Instead of letting the van through the little left right chicane first I goosed around him and found myself all out of shape at the bottom left. I was about to hit the curb when I saw the driveway of the house on the corner. I hit it at a 45 degree angle and onto the front yard grass. When my ass end starts coming around I'm sliding flat track style across the yard and plow into a row of bushes. The bike jumped back on it's feet and I stopped in the middle of the street on the other side of the canyon. Totally shaking head too toe. The guy in the van passed me mouthing FUCK YOU. The guy on the other bike starts waving his arm to get the hell out of there. I looked back to see a 6' section of bushes ripped up and two lines rubbed in the grass. Time to go.

• Like 1

1990, New Jersey highway between Fort Dix and a little town called Browns Mills, 105mph and climbing in this '77 Monte Carlo and, I shit you not.......I choked on a chunk of bagel. I was blacking out, could not get the thing dislodged and couldn't get the car shut down quick enough. Just about the time I was convinced I would die, the chunk broke loose and I started breathing again. Traded the Monte off not too long afterward.

cars15.jpg

• Like 1

Man, I feel you pain, I had this metal sliver one time.....it was one of those really tiny ones that you one feel sometimes but it hurts kinda.....so I know what youre talking about

I once had a pretty bad hang nail.

Pulling out an ingrown hangnail and getting that endorphin rush is better than sex for me.

Of course...I am married!

• Like 1