Automatic throttle switch to dizzy/coil. Do I need the relay?

tr8er

I've got a pertronix and I've got a bunch of crap on the circuit that tied in to the automatic trans/throttle. I believe the sole function of which was to downshift when more speed was demanded via the right foot. But please let me know that none of this extra equip is needed in my new setup:

5speed manual with a pertronix electric ignition conversion.

Here's what I'm starting with

5C670F26-66BD-420B-967B-8C4A2B0B0F8E.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking I need to do

04B32D76-E51C-4C44-92CC-D403AF8A01BE.jpg

Is there any reason to leave the relay? I presume I just run the black wire to the coil and get rid of all of it, but I'm just checkin .

And what are these ?

680BD705-0F6F-44CF-B6DC-A12C0F05FDE3.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1970-1971 Datsuns used a distributor with two sets of points.  The second set was used to retard the ignition timing in third gear, part throttle, for emission reasons.  It also used some switches on the carburetor, and with automatic cars, a speed detector on the transmission, and another switch connected to that.

Changing the stock carburetor, or the transmission to a five speed, eliminates some of the parts used for the system.  Using s single points distributor also disables the system, because there is no second set of retarded points to switch into the circuit, under some conditions.

Per federal law, is is illegal to disable, or delete emissions equipment.  But the federal government does not inspect cars. only states do.  and I do not know the rules for vehicle emission inspection in Hawaii.

Is there any reason to leave the relay? I presume I just run the black wire to the coil and get rid of all of it, but I'm just checkin

blk wire to coil only if you have points. Since pertronix you only use the red and blk of the Pertronix.

I got rid of all of those relay wires on the 510 and the blk plastic box up on the fire wall also.

since car starts already I assume you jumpered the neutral switch