What is this 521 worth???

UNCIVLIZED1

I used to own this truck and then traded it off for something else. Although I traded it the truck it never left my shop b/c the transmission is stuck in 4th and the guy never got around to having it fixed. Now I am wanting to buy it back and am trying to find out what you guys think it is worth. Some of you might even remember the truck......

It is a 71 521 with the L16. It has around 55,000 miles and it is supposed to be the original mileage. The truck did alot of sitting so it smokes alot at startup and when given a little more than average throttle while driving but it runs strong and smoothe. The truck is stuck in 4th and it needs a clutch master cylinder b/c it took pushing the pedal hard into the floor to shift before it locked up (could have been part of the problem...lol). It is on air suspension and done very well with quality parts and is still fully functional. The exterior is is pretty good shape but needs some attention with only one little surface rust spot on the lower left fender from where it had hit something at some point. The tailgate is gone and a sheetmetal skin is welded in but it still needs body work. It has a spray in bed liner but the center of the bed floor is cut out to clear the notch in the frame. The interior is stock and the seat has been recovered along with the door panels somewhat recently. It is on 16" Escalade wheels with decent tire tread left.

Give me an idea of what it is worth.................

l_02498046e5a52553315e0c17fe5314-1.jpg

l94B4U56-W4I1Im9H5nz4V-ZuBBvnG13030.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh I think thats a tough one.

I for one hate "customized" trucks. Dont get me wrong, the rig looks badass, I think it looks great, but I dont necessarilly think that mods like air suspension, body, and custom wheels add value. If a person expects to earn money for mods like this, they have to find a specific buyer, otherwise the mods may be a negative.

If I were trying to establish value reattaining something I traded out, I would compare it with what I traded for. Otherwise you may risk the other party feeling "cheated"

Locally here in the Central Valley, CA, that truck might go for $1500, tops. It doesnt drive, and the burden lies on the seller to make it do so, otherwise face the consequences of someone not wanting to buy a not running vehicle. Plus it smokes, so it needs minimum of a valve job, if not a total rebuild (if you've gotta replace the rings, might as well go all the way). The mods dont add much in my opinion, espcecially since one cant drive it. Maybe it's worth more parted out.

I used to own this truck and then traded it off for something else. Although I traded it the truck it never left my shop b/c the transmission is stuck in 4th and the guy never got around to having it fixed. Now I am wanting to buy it back and am trying to find out what you guys think it is worth. Some of you might even remember the truck......

Pugz bought it? from nissancustoms?

What is the value of the thing you traded the truck for? This is a starting point.

Tranny jammed in 4th, I think this is common for the F4W63. Several here have had it happen to them. I had a '71 that did it on the highway, no reason at all. No way the m/c, clutch or slave could prevent you from shifting out of gear. Tranny is screwed. Probably the pressure plate too.

55K miles and smokes??? 155K maybe, the speedo probably doesn't go past 99K.

'71 Datsun, can't be driven, motor is tired, tranny no good, body fair considering it's age, if you are 'into' the lowered stance and those tires and rims then it has some appeal I guess.

Pugz bought it? from nissancustoms?

What is the value of the thing you traded the truck for? This is a starting point.

I got the truck from Pugz back around the first of the year and drove it for a couple months until the tranny locked up

As for the original trade value that is kind of tricky. I traded it for a bagged and body dropped dually that needed alot of work. The guy I got it from had $3500 in it but then drove it for a little while and destroyed the entire bed, the suspension parts werent on it anymore and it no longer ran and had been sitting for over a year when I got it. So I think in his mind the trade value was around the $3500 he had invested in the dually originally. However, I figured with the current state I was being very lenient in considering it at a value of around $2000-$2500 since I do paint, body and suspension work for a living.

So I just offered him $2500 cash for the truck the other day and he said that was too low....so that is why I am trying to get some input from guys that know more about these types of trucks......so keep the prices coming! :)

So I just offered him $2500 cash for the truck the other day and he said that was too low....so that is why I am trying to get some input from guys that know more about these types of trucks......so keep the prices coming! :)

I wouldn't go higher than that knowing about the tranny now! $1800 - $2000? If the trans was fixed I could see $2800 - $3000.

However being dropped like that and looking so damn cool. (Really I f'n LOVE this truck!) THe owner might wait for some 16 yr old who is more into looks than innards and has a daddy who will cough up the cash.

As a bit of perspective......beebani still hasn't sold his at $3000...his 620 is a runner/driver with a KA in it. We've all seen the build up on the rig, so we know it history.

The 521 here is cool, but I think your $2500 offer was WAY generous!!!

^^Now that is some dame good perspective Mike! I think we all love these things so much that we hope they are worth more, but rarely are.

Bee's truck is rather iconic, and if it hasn't been snagged for $3k... I just don't know.

I think sometimes we datsun lovers wish we could spend 3-4K on a nicely done truck, but usually run out and pick up an $800 pos that we slowly fix. The money is a lot less painful if you spread it out over a few years...

And it is also funny that we wince at 3-4k especially when you look at other collector car markets!

I think personal taste has a huge play in the "value" of these rigs. I didn't fully read the initial post above (smoking engine, stuck trans) when I said $4k. What I was basing that off of is I really like the looks of this 521. I love the way it looks! In contrast, I really appreciate Beebani's truck for what it is and how he has built it. I wouldn't buy it because it's not my style. I could see a guy that really digs the style of it happily paying his asking price..

ya, the prior owner of my Z wouldn't take 2500 at first. A month later they called me back. :) see, nobody else would pay that much so its not worth more if nobody will pay it.

The current owner sounds a bit greedy. Tell him to fix the tranny and get the truck out of your garage after he pays you the $2500 in storage fees that he owes you.

Me storing the truck at my shop and cranking it a couple times a week was never a burden b/c even though me and the guy arent best friends he is a good guy and I do consider him a friend. So 'storage fees' arent an issue to me in this situation neither is using it as leverage although I did make a joke to him about it after making my offer...lol

I just have regretted giving up the truck since the day I signed the papers and really dont want to see anyone else end up with it and tear it up. My only reason for trading it out in the first place was that since the tranny was locked up and I didnt feel like spending the money right then, I just really didnt want to watch it sit for months until i got around to it. The irony is that it never left so I had to watch it sit anyway for the past 6 months. So now that he has mentioned an interest in sellign it and I am in the process of selling my other dually I am in a position to buy it back and dont want to miss out on it but at the same time dont want to pay too much for it.........