Washington Redskins

DaBlist

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's the bigger whiner about this? The natives or white people sucking up to natives? I'm not pissed about the white album, or white wash, or white pages, white flags or white elephants, white dwarfs or the White House. Harden the fuck up!

• Like 4

Nope, nothing wrong with the name, the people that make it a slur, are those that consider it a slur.   Just like the swastika,  i see many with it to represent what it meant before the nazi's destroyed the symbol and what it meant.  People need to stop being pussies and grow the fuck up. Oh no a christmas tree, i dont celebrate christmas so i must get it banned everywhere because my bleeding lil pussy just cant take the sight of it.   Oh no...the american flag, i dont beleive it should be flown anywhere, its a distraction, so because I hate it, im going to work as damn hard as i can to get it removed.  God...i dont beleive in him, so im going to make sure everyone feels the way i do and get god removed from everything because its how I feel, and fuck everyone else... Amiright?

^ same, im a bit Cherokee, my grandpa was like 3/4, and his mom was full, but were not on any paperwork or anything, but with how some in my family drink ;) lol    But i could care less, oh a name is a name, and if you interpret it bad, thats on you. Doesnt mean everyone else does.   

• Like 1

Sense when did it become "pussy" to call out ignorance? From the safety of your keyboard you guys say this shit, but would you take your pasty white asses to a native reservation and tell them to toughen the fuck up? If not, show dick some respect and stop talking like you know what Native Americans think and feel, because you obviously don't.

What kind of delusional super powers gives you the ability to insult people, then chastise them for being insulted? It has a name, Alexithymia. 

• Like 1

I have every right to take my moral ambiguity and beat you over the head with it. Only because the people on TV told me it was bad:(

A team who uses an adjective about an observed skin color could be offensive if allowed.

We better stop profiling other people as well. I'm no longer Caucasian or white. It's too offensive. Please refer to me as "that human of male gender" from now on.

I'm still trying to figure out how Red Skin is offensive. Honestly....Or any mascot depicting a perceived fierce race of people. The name Redskin was chosen because of the legends of that race. Other adjectives come to mind like, Tough, Brave, Fierce. I see it as a more celebratory use.

I'm just rambling now. Too many Percocet for the hip.

• Like 1

Sense when did it become "pussy" to call out ignorance? From the safety of your keyboard you guys say this shit, but would you take your pasty white asses to a native reservation and tell them to toughen the fuck up? If not, show dick some respect and stop talking like you know what Native Americans think and feel, because you obviously don't.

What kind of delusional super powers gives you the ability to insult people, then chastise them for being insulted? It has a name, Alexithymia. 

This would make sense if it was the native American Indian(s) that were doing all the whining about this. No where has anyone said that, only about the overall PC whining. As nanner said (who is closer to an expert on Native affairs than the rest of us 'white folk") they mostly 'could care less'.  Redskins isn't used today in any insulting form that I know of and seems to be solely the 'property' of the Washington Redskins.  (maybe some others?)

What kind of delusional person, has the right to point out the common use of a word and tell a minority it should be ashamed and insulted by it's use? or on the other hand, that the majority should be ashamed and insulting with it's use? What is that called? I call it having nothing better to do with their time so I'll stir up some shit over nothing. This.... I object to. Are Native Americans outraged? I haven't seen any proof of that and that's not Alexithymia (a derailed empathy response)

• Like 1

If everyone that was wronged sometime in there familial/racial history was offended by said event, nothing would ever get done in this world as everyone would just point fingers at one another. Glad I don't live in the past and can see the honor and homage in choosing a name rather than the negativity perceived by those few. I think a football team should have a respected, powerful and strong name/mascot. Are these people whom are offended saying that the name invokes disparaging and weak imagery, why would anyone choose a disparaging name? 
Of course, I'm not in to football such so what do I know.

What's next? No more Fighting Irish? :lol:

• Like 1

I have zero legs to stand on any of this. My ancestors were vikings and of course, my ancestors WAY before that were black (just like everyone else on the planet). I will say that I feel the argument of "the words white trash does not bother me" does not really hold a lot of water, because it can't really strike much of a nerve, we run this shit and always have.

As far as the redskins thing goes, I think it's a lot like nanner said for the most part, they don't give a shit. The gal I am currently dating is full on chippewa, her, nor her family give a shit. It's a small group of fussy, bored fuckers and a larger handful of guilt driven white folks. It probably falls into the category of things no one would notice or even think about if it did not have a huge spotlight shined on it.

Hell, is anyone even racist toward native Americans these days (I honestly don't know the answer to that). I mean, I'm sure there must be, but it's probably a group of dopes that could have no real bearing on your life.

I feel that in the day and age, this particular thing is a non issue, that has now been made into a huge one. Then again, who the fuck am I to make that call. Just because something does not bother me in my little world does not mean everything is just peachy.

• Like 1

My heritage is about as mutt as you can get. Although I have some personal skin in this matter, I do not profess to speak on anyones behalf. I know fucked up shit when I see it though. I volunteered at the Native American Healthcare Center in Oakland for 3 yrs, and I serve Native clients to this day in my practice as a psychotherapist. It may be true that changing the Redskins name is not high on Native people’s priorities. The People I’ve worked with are busy struggling with far more pressing things such as deeply conflicting narratives in their lives, generations of depression and suicide, substance abuse, isolation from social phobia, and almost universally this stems from lost identity. 

Snyder insists “Redskin represents honor, represents respect, represents pride”. Wow, I don’t think we possess the tools to measure the level of irony in that statement. When you consider how Washington has treated the real “Redskins”, then connecting their image to derogatory slang and using it to represent the capital city of the very government that raped them. You want to talk about conflicting narratives?

I understand the drive to fight for your right to be insensitive, but refusing to open your eyes to the whole picture is childish. If you are deriving some perverse sense of  honor, respect, and pride from defacing native identity and using it to represent your football team, personally I think that’s fucked up. 

Your team by any other name would smell as sweet, or in this case sweeter because the name Redskins stinks. Save your manhood honor respect and pride by changing it. 

That would be difficult as we would have to discern which part of the white race needs to apologize and which part deserves an apology along with everyone else...

Once people can get over their 'historical' wrongs we can move forward as a whole people, until then we get to squabble incessantly like children about who kicked who in the shin first on the playground.

• Like 4

I'm tired of issues like this even being a huge debate when as a country or a world we have much much larger issues.

But let's fight over how it's a bad word. :(

Solve a real problem like sustaining a viral outbreak or holding our political reps accountable for the abuses they perpetrate.

Just something that actually fosters unity. Wedge issue are soooo fucking petty and easy to incite emotional response.

• Like 1