Stupid California

red13

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the outside looking in California, and the US in most parts look like an amazing place to live... Guess it's the little things that grind your teeth though. Back in the UK, cars are taxed on Co2 emissions, but anything over 1972 is considered classic and tax free, you'll still pay about £1 per liter in fuel in tax mind.

My race car would be road legal over there. If only the weather was nicer and the mountains taller.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My power bill is quite expensive due to living in a 1908 built house.  I've reinsulated the attic, but it would be nice to reinsulate the walls too.  However, with CFLs I still manage to consume a fairly low amount of energy, especially in the summer.  The flip side is if it's really hot.  We had a hot week this summer and I had the wall unit ac going full tilt the whole time.  Otherwise the house just wouldn't cool off.  Likewise in the winter.  I keep my house at 62 degrees.  Not because it saves money, but because with the thermal loss, that's the most efficient temperature for all the electric heaters (no other heat method) not to continually kick on.  That's below 30 degrees.  Above 30 degrees I can keep it 64-67 in the house, which is right toasty!

Even so, my comfort-level billing is nearly $200 per month, every month.  But that saves my ass from the $400 bill in the winter.  Contact your electric utility provider about that, it's way more helpful to average it out.  And if you're surplus at the end of the year, they mail you a check!

As of the last 2 months, my efficient neighbors used 1307 kwh

I used 1620 kwh

and all the neighbors combined used 2058

So by Avista's report, I'm doing better than average.  I'd love to be in the efficient group, but that would mean massive remodeling, or building a more modern house that wasn't so drafty.  And I still have some old windows too that I haven't replaced yet.

I'm all for a "pass the pipe" test. Why not? And who gives a fuck what's under the hood, as long as it passes the pipe.

What it boils down to is money. You know that "CARB exempt" sticker you get when you buy a K&N intake for your EFI whatever? It's not that it makes the engine run cleaner than something else, it has the sticker because K&N paid CARB $50K to get an exemption.

Fucking bureaucrats.

• Like 1

been from needles up to truckee and ya'll got a gorgeous state but the folks I stayed with in '95 (in truckee) were paying $1200 a month rent for a cracker box just for the right to say they were living in cali. they could have moved east a few miles east to reno (where they worked btw) and cut their rent by 1/2. Tahoe & Donner are gorgeous though!

I doubt they were interested in the title "Californian", but if they were into mountains and skiing, there is a world of difference between Truckee and Reno. $600 worth, and a 30 mile commute through the Sierras though? Shit they better like skiing, cuz pine trees ante all that.

I'm all for a "pass the pipe" test. Why not? And who gives a fuck what's under the hood, as long as it passes the pipe.

What it boils down to is money. You know that "CARB exempt" sticker you get when you buy a K&N intake for your EFI whatever? It's not that it makes the engine run cleaner than something else, it has the sticker because K&N paid CARB $50K to get an exemption.

Fucking bureaucrats.

Which iswhy their laws are about the money,and legislating what people can drive and not the air quality.

Fucking bureaucrats.

they (the fucking bureaucrats) give a fuck. never liked guys messing with their engines & never will

• 3 weeks later...