3.90 third member

Howdy-

Been trying to find a 3.90 ring gear to gear up the 620 a bit, but with little luck. From what I understand they came in '82-'85 Auto tranny 720s, can anyone confirm this? Any info on where to find one in the greater Seattle area is much appreciated.

-Ian 425 231 9887

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'80-'83 2wd......................................... H-190 A

Reg bed and KC with manual trannys........ 3.889

Same as above but Automatic................ 4.375

Long bed with manual tranny.......... ....... 4.11

Same as above but automatic and HD...... 4.375

All 4X4............................................... 4.375

'84-'86.5 2wd...................................... H-190 A

Z24 engine with manual tranny............... 3.70

Same as above but with automatic......... 3.889

All 4X4............................................... C-200 4.11

If you are looking for a 3.889 H-190 rear end and are in the wrecking yard. Look on the inner passenger fender just below the hood hinge. There is an aluminum tag mounted there.Stamped into it near the bottom will be:

TRANS/AXLE........FS5W71B............HF38

(the 38 means 3.889 ratio, a 37 would be 3.70 and a 41 would be 4.11 and so on) Remember, this is what was installed at the factory, it could have been changed so check the numbers stamped into the ring gear when you get it out. Another method is to raise one wheel but make sure the other can't turn. Put tranny in neutral and mark the raised tire and the drive shaft with some chalk. Have someone turn the raised tire exactly 5 turns while you count the drive shaft turns. Divide the drive shaft turns by 10 to get your ratio.

Example... 5 wheel turns produces 38.9 drives haft turns. 38.9/10 = 3.89 close enough.

Sweet deal. If you end up wanting to get rid of it keep me in mind, I'd be more than happy to pay you for it. I know roadsters had 190 diffs, but is it the same as what's in a 720? I'd think a truck gear would be built a little stouter, but I don't know for sure.

Blues Brothers is the best movie of all time BTW, I have most of that film memorized :D

Sweet deal. If you end up wanting to get rid of it keep me in mind, I'd be more than happy to pay you for it. I know roadsters had 190 diffs, but is it the same as what's in a 720? I'd think a truck gear would be built a little stouter, but I don't know for sure.

Blues Brothers is the best movie of all time BTW, I have most of that film memorized :D

I've been told by those who should know that the pumpkins are the same. The axle splines and stuff are what's unique (amongst other stuff) to roadsters.

Well, it won't be happening soon, but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Should be stout enough....they're handling KA24/SR20/VG30 swaps. 026.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.