Clutch/tranny Q's. Paging D-mike!

metalmonkey47

I've asked this question a few times but never got a direct/clear answer. 

I'm ripping the head/trans out of my 240Z in a few days to replace the shot head with my rebuilt head, and figured at the same time, I'll get the exhaust out of the way and knock out the butchered clutch. 

I'm tossing a spare clutch in for the time being, since I'll be spending the real money when i'm done building my L28, just want to clarify and make sure what I have is right. 

Truck and 240Z BOTH share 225mm clutches, both use the same spline, and PP bolt pattern correct? Also, 240z should have a 6-bolt flywheel? 

Last but not least, I was told the Series 1 did NOT have a long tail 4 speed, but I have not been able to confirm that. D mike or any other Ratsuners, anyone know exactly what trans model# would be in the Series 1 Z's? Gotta order input/output seals for the gearbox while it's out. Ill have to measure the trans tomorrow, but what 'should' I have? 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, ALL S30 Z cars used a longtail trans.  FS4W71A in early ones, FS4W71B in late ones (not including the 5-speeds).  Easy way to tell the difference is the 71A used the "monkey motion" shifter (shifter is held in with a nut through rubber bushings, just like a 510 4-speed) whereas the 71B is pinned and held in only at the pivot point.

The 225mm clutch was what it had, though the "kit" was listed as specific to 240 and 260Zs only.  May just be a difference in clamping force, but I don't know.

Output shaft seal is the same as pretty much every 70s/80s Datsun/Nissan.

• Like 1

As far as I know, ALL S30 Z cars used a longtail trans.  FS4W71A in early ones, FS4W71B in late ones (not including the 5-speeds).  Easy way to tell the difference is the 71A used the "monkey motion" shifter (shifter is held in with a nut through rubber bushings, just like a 510 4-speed) whereas the 71B is pinned and held in only at the pivot point.

The 225mm clutch was what it had, though the "kit" was listed as specific to 240 and 260Zs only.  May just be a difference in clamping force, but I don't know.

Output shaft seal is the same as pretty much every 70s/80s Datsun/Nissan.

Thanks! That helps a lot. Pretty sure the PP rating is the same, The kits just have different release bearings. 240 bearing comes with the collar, whereas the truck release bearing does not. 

The 'monkey motion' shifter that you're referring to is the cup shaped shifter at the rear of the trans? (Best way I know to explain it)

'monkey motion' or A type shifter...

7104spdremoval010.jpg

The 240z 4 speed will also have the removable bottom pan...

7104spdremoval003Large.jpg

It will resemble this long tail 4 speed almost exactly and be about 31.5". If you would check the length to verify and let me know?

F4W63long.jpg

The rear oil seal is 32136-E0100 (old number) or 32136-U0100 (supersedes earlier number?) both should work. About $5 at dealer $3 at NAPA.

The front oil seal is 32113-N2101Again, about $5.

Thanks Mike! I'll get back to you tomorrow. It's not anything like the picture. I actually have one of the ones you're showing in my back yard that I believe came off of a 521. However, my 4 speed looks identical to the 71B I'm so used to, that's why I asked the question. 

Fill plug is on the passenger side by the reverse light switch, I'll get you a measurement and pictures when i pull it. I actually had a '72 Z car trans in my truck after blowing the truck 4 speed up, and this looks identical. 

Last question for now, did the pressure plates between the 240Z and trucks have a different finger height? I'm trying to decide if this dang truck 225mm is going to match my throwout bearing collar.. on the 240z pressure plate. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when i rip this transmission out. 

Last question for now, did the pressure plates between the 240Z and trucks have a different finger height? I'm trying to decide if this dang truck 225mm is going to match my throwout bearing collar.. on the 240z pressure plate. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when i rip this transmission out. 

Only way to tell is with some veneer calipers. Measure the Z cluch assembly bolted to the Z flywheel on the motor from the fingers of the pressure plate into the crank where the trans input shaft would go until it bottoms. Then remove the clutch assembly and install the  truck clutch assembly and measure the same way and compare distances. I had to do this when I went from a 225mm NA S14 SR20DE clutch to a SR20DET clutch and found there was indeed a difference of .110" which required a longer carrier.