What's the fastest you've ever gone in a 510?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you say if I told you 135 mph is not even close to the outer limits of the 510. Horse shit maybe? How about cornering at 137mph? Poppy cock you say?

At Cal Speedway, in Fontana on June 23rd 2013 Troy drove a customer car owner by Stan Wallis. With a full field of 25 B-Sedan cars including 11 Datsun 510's Troy took the checkered flag for the win. Best lap time of 1:56.128 On a side note; Troy's top speed on the gun in turn 1 was 137 mph. http://www.ermish-racing.com/troy-s-cars

And that's with a N/A L18 like this one.

1ae1cc38-2225-4222-ac6d-fcd4efcf3170.jpg

A well built 510 with ground effects, lots of caster, and a tweaked SR or KA turbo will push 160 mph. On the other hand, a stock 510 would kill you if it could go 110mph. Like Q said, "It really depends on the car"

• Like 2

What would you say if I told you 135 mph is not even close to the outer limits of the 510. Horse shit maybe? How about cornering at 137mph? Poppy cock you say?

At Cal Speedway, in Fontana on June 23rd 2013 Troy drove a customer car owner by Stan Wallis. With a full field of 25 B-Sedan cars including 11 Datsun 510's Troy took the checkered flag for the win. Best lap time of 1:56.128 On a side note; Troy's top speed on the gun in turn 1 was 137 mph. http://www.ermish-racing.com/troy-s-cars

And that's with a N/A L18 like this one.

1ae1cc38-2225-4222-ac6d-fcd4efcf3170.jpg

A well built 510 with ground effects, lots of caster, and a tweaked SR or KA turbo will push 160 mph. On the other hand, a stock 510 would kill you if it could go 110mph. Like Q said, "It really depends on the car"

That's a complete race car with camber, toe and bumpsteer correction as well as properly tuned sway bars and stiff springs. He runs probably close to 250hp in that car and it weighs under 1800 lbs, plus he's got it low to the ground with a spook which cuts the air from underneath. I suppose I would believe that he hits 137.

It's the street guys that say 140+ that makes me question the truth in their claim...that and their sanity.

A 510 with a big enough tire to handle the HP required to go that fast is almost as wide as it is long. When you get into that type of geometry things get fishy. I drove a Lotus Super 7 track car once that had 9" slicks on it in the rear and 7" slicks in the front and the results were a car good enough for autocross, but dangerous on the high speed stuff.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that most guys who say they have done it are probably lying. I don't think you are lying...just insane.

Speaking of Troy's cars. I sold him my old ITC car when I moved to the foothills. He used a lot of the vintage race parts I had including the original BRE front and rear flares to turn it into a gorgeous B-Sedan. I think he got $60K for it when it was done. I also had a pair of carbs and intake manifold that were on the 35 BRE car plus a NOS 7qt aluminum pan with the part number sticker still on it. There was a set of 13x7 magnesium Libres too. I sold him everything I had in one shot.

Man I miss that car.

45_ITC_1_zps6d947861.jpg

45_ITC_2_zps499c583c.jpg

45_ITC_3_zps2298f8ab.jpg

I do not believe 105 is ungodly fast 

my 2008 f350 4x4 long bed diesel truck has a limiter at 96 I have been there I have also had my truck with a 26 foot travel trailer at 85 passing a Jack Ass that would slow to 50 then run me up so I couldn't pass him 

in a 510 down hill with an L18 no porting but all new internals and flat top pistons with A87 head 120 plus but no GPS verification 

In my current 510 110 GPS verified and I think it has been to 115 but not certain and still pulling hard 

73 1200 stock a series motor with 370 rear end and a 4 speed 85 and would go faster but never tried

In my 2005 350z   no idea I never looked at the speedo 

• Like 1

Over 100 isn't that fast. My Dart was just comfortable at 100-120.

Over 130 to 150 I could still look down at the speedo.

Other cars I couldn't dare look away from the road.

Over 100 in a small Datsun is fast. No... it is.

• Like 2

Also too guys is remember these cars aren't creature comforts like all this stuff on the road today, when I drive my wife's 06 impala doing 85+ the sense of speed is different it's a hell of a smoother ride. 100+ in your avarage car on the road isn't a big woohoo but in a 510 or any old datsun for that matter 100+ is a big deal. Everything rattles, you feel every little bump in the road and it sounds like your in a tin can. Like I said before I have 114 gps verified and I felt comfortable, I knew I was hauling ass and I didn't feel scared at all. I have the need for speed but I do it in moderation, I plan on going SR and will hopefully be able to get 140+ with my car being setup properly to keep me as safe as possible.

Ya, I am sure you are right in it depends what your butt is seated in. I will look over at the wife's speedometer and notice she would be going 85 in the Sonata. It didn't feel very fast, but I am sure the ticket would have put the fear in us.

In the Opel Gt, I could of sworn I was approaching lift off speed.

I got 82 on the GPS this morning. I need a spook.

Or just better suspension, not sure what your running but if it's stock and you upgrade it, it will make a world of difference. I have no spook and I get up to 100+ easy and my car still handles fine, all comes down to the setup man...

Ya, I am sure you are right in it depends what your butt is seated in. I will look over at the wife's speedometer and notice she would be going 85 in the Sonata. It didn't feel very fast, but I am sure the ticket would have put the fear in us.

In the Opel Gt, I could of sworn I was approaching lift off speed.

Yea it really is dude, new cars are equipped with so much creature comfort the sense of speed is not there, were modifying cars beyond the creators expectations reaching speeds I highly doubt they thought the car could be capable of. We are as close as it gets to real driving and being one with the car, we all know our cars limits and when and not to push it, no power steering, traction control, brake assist none of that bs.

Getting 300+ hp into a 510 is the easy part, but that will only get you so far without certain death. To push 140+ mph and live to tell the tail?

minimum;

7" track tires UTQG 100 AA A compound.
Willwood big brake kit, 
Adjustable damping coil overs.
Camber plates
300lb springs
Adjustable control arms with +7 caster
1 1/8" chromoly front roll bar
3/4" rear
Toe/Camber adjustable rear X-member,
Razed Steering pick up points on the front X-member
Bump steer spacers tuned to actual ride hight
Steering box stabilizer bracket.
6 point roll cage body bonded, 
spherical ball joints all round
R180 LSD
CV axles.
BRE front scoop
4" Hard rubber side skirts running the length of the floor seams. 

Even then, if it's not set up right... DEATH.

I've never topped out my 510, but I'm sure it will pass 140. My Yellow&Black project started with a Troy Ermish built race chassis, so I'm confident it's done right. Honestly, if I'd built it I would worry. 

That was 110 in 3rd gear.

I had a 510 once that was a race car and I turned it back into a street car. The suspension was low and stiff. I found a set of stock bias ply whitewalls (OEM Datsun) and hubcaps and I mounted them up to give the old skool look. Well the first off ramp at 80+ on decel the old skinny tires just about killed me.

So yes, tires + suspension + motor + brakes = whole package

Anything les is uncivilized.

High pucker factor with that K-rail on decel...

True that. I was busy looking at the gauges and hadn't noticed Cal-trans had replaced the offramp with a cement wall. Thank god the car did what it was supposed to. If I was sporting bias plies my ass would be fresh mown grass right there.

Or just better suspension, not sure what your running but if it's stock and you upgrade it, it will make a world of difference. I have no spook and I get up to 100+ easy and my car still handles fine, all comes down to the setup man...

I have ZX brakes/struts with 200lb Eibach coils. I know I can go faster, but I ran out of freshly paved road. I was scooting along, felt like I was flying. Speedo is a little slow; read 75ish. I opened my GPS speedo app, saw 83, got excited. I was only part throttle too. WOT itself is scary. I have dual 44's on an L16. I really need to get the parts to make an L22.

Don't want to go too fast. Wheel might fall off :rofl:

• Like 1

I have ZX brakes/struts with 200lb Eibach coils. I know I can go faster, but I ran out of freshly paved road. I was scooting along, felt like I was flying. Speedo is a little slow; read 75ish. I opened my GPS speedo app, saw 83, got excited. I was only part throttle too. WOT itself is scary. I have dual 44's on an L16. I really need to get the parts to make an L22.

Don't want to go too fast. Wheel might fall off :rofl:

nice :) go lz23 man I wish I did. My lz22 is nice but I wish I went all out and threw in the monstee

nice :) go lz23 man I wish I did. My lz22 is nice but I wish I went all out and threw in the monstee

In the garage, I have an L20 block bored .060" over that uses L28 size pistons with a 2cc pop up. It was in the car years ago, but something happened so my dad pulled it and put the L16 back in. We took it apart a while ago and found a broken piston skirt. At the least we need new pistons, but the whole block could be damaged. A magnaflux will tell us if it's usable or not. If the block is junk, I'll probably source out a Z22 short block to use. It'll cost the same, if not a tiny bit more to do a 2.2, than fix what we have. Might as well go big. I know someone that has Z22 pistons and rods he said I could take if I want. If I could at least find a 2.2 crank, I might be good.

I want more powah!!

• Like 1