What's the fastest you've ever gone in a 510?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen 510's with TOO MUCH horsepower. At a track day at Thunderhill I was pitted next to a guy with a turbo SR20, the turbo was so big it poked out of the hood. He said he had about 450 HP and it was so much he said it wasn't even fun. He would just smoke the tires off when he rolled on the gas, even at speed.

To get traction with big HP you need to run such a big tire that the car is almost as wide as it is long.

• Like 1

I've seen 510's with TOO MUCH horsepower. At a track day at Thunderhill I was pitted next to a guy with a turbo SR20, the turbo was so big it poked out of the hood. He said he had about 450 HP and it was so much he said it wasn't even fun. He would just smoke the tires off when he rolled on the gas, even at speed.

To get traction with big HP you need to run such a big tire that the car is almost as wide as it is long.

Although I've heard it said that anything over 250 hp in a 510 is overkill, I don't believe that is true at all. It's a matter of how that power is delivered. With most  modern stand alone engine management systems, you have the ability to control how much power is sent in each gear, at what speed, rpm and so on. You can program the ECU to trim power to say 50% in 1st gear, 65% in 2nd, 80% in 3rd, and full in 4th and 5th.  You can also control boost in real time by referencing multiple data points to adjust boost on the fly. Kind of a poor man's traction control. Working with a good dyno tuner there's no reason you couldn't tame 450hp so you could use it where and when you can use it.

The drawback of a massive turbo is it takes much more exhaust flow to spool up requiring higher rpms to stay in positive boost power range. Then if you don't carefully control the boost curve, it's like riding a rocket with an on/off switch. That might work on a drag strip, but at an auto-X course. No fun!

If he is spinning wheels at speed that sounds like his rear is lifting suggesting poor airflow management. At that speed a serious air dam and side skirts are not just for show. The more air you can divert to the top of the car the less lift you get at speed. Although I've seen (non SCCA vintage/production) 510s with a small rear spoiler. I doubt it's creating any down force, but all you really need is to disrupt the air flow to break up the pressure build up on that blunt ass end. 

Does anyone know if there have been any land speed testing done with the 510?

• Like 2

135, and now 140mph hmmm! Those are some serious in a 510 numbers that to me need verification with gps and a picture are needed. I mean a 510 isn't exactly aerodynamic and more like pushing a Billboard through the air. I'm not saying you didn't, I'm just having a hard time swallowing the cool aid. I've done 118 in my 510 with a S14 SR20DE with 180hp and it had more but I don't think it had 130-140mph more. I have a lot of suspension mods and it was pretty damn smooth at speed even with halfshafts but then it isn't slammed to the ground.

Just Saying..

If I had a third hand to hold the camera, I could take a picture for you, but at high speeds, I prefer to hold onto the wheel with my the two hands I have.  Using one of the many aero calculators available online, the top speed that I posted should theoretically take about 180hp to achieve (which I believe is right around what my KA is making).  With CV's in the rear, ~6* castor in the front, and a good amount of rear toe in, the ride is surprising smooth and stable at high speed.  Honestly though, 510's are way more fun between 40 and 80 mph than at 100+. 

• Like 3

Not in a 510 but in my ka 521 , speedo wasnt hooked up, but whatever 6300 rpm is in 5th gear

With a stock rear end with 4.375 gears and then combine that with 205/50/15 tires (not sure what you actually have) and a 5th gear of .759 would come out to 133 MPH @ 6300 RPM. Would need to know whether you have the stock rear end or not and your tire size to get a closer calculation.

• Like 1

With a stock rear end with 4.375 gears and then combine that with 205/50/15 tires (not sure what you actually have) and a 5th gear of .759 would come out to 133 MPH @ 6300 RPM. Would need to know whether you have the stock rear end or not and your tire size to get a closer calculation.

I was just going to answer with a hell of a lot fast than you should be going in a 521, but 130 sounds about right

I was just going to answer with a hell of a lot fast than you should be going in a 521, but 130 sounds about right

I let off cause it wasnt pleasant, thats the one and only time i pushed it like that, it was a very nice abandoned airport :-) :-D ;-)

Seriously tho, away from society, got some vids, but cant upload, and maybe shouldn't lol

The strut front end of the 510 would likely be more stable than the poor geometry of a 50 year old upper/lower control arm and kingpin setup, but the solid axle rear woulddefinitely be more stable. And the aerodynamics of the truck bed may actually help.

Not that I'd want to do 130 in a 521, but never say never.