What's the fastest you've ever gone in a 510?

How do u guys do the math?

The transmission was off a ka truck aswell, someone mentioned the gear ratios are different than the 240sx transmissions

Ancient Chinese secret...

From what I could find the 5th gear in a truck is definitely different than the 240sx transmission (0.838 vs 0.759), which would put your speed at 6300 RPM at about 116 MPH.

Seriously though, I just use a couple of calculators I've found online to do my calculations. The first calculates your tire height going off the tire size and the second calculates speed based on gear ratios, tire size and RPM.

Tire height:

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-height-calculator/

RPM/Speed:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

There are probably better calculators out there, but I found those years ago and haven't really looked around much for other ones since they do what I need.

• Like 1
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For dicing around tight courses, with modification and fine tuning the semi trailing arm of the 510 is more than adequate. For high horse power and high speed cornering though, it's a nightmare. If you look at the vid I posted of my car during hard acceleration (page 1) you can see the ass end dive at each shift. What happens when the semi trailing arm compresses the toe also shifts outward. Great for accelerating out of tight corners, but... I have 300lb. springs on the coil overs and it still squats like a bitch (female dog) pissing under power. Once you get up to speed the air traveling over the car also compresses the suspension, and the second to the last thing you want at speed is a bunch of rear toe out. When the car squats in the front you get bump steer issues witch is THE very last thing you want at 120 plus MPH. Raking out the caster on the front struts and bump steer spacers helps stabilize the front end, and adjusting (slotting the X-member) for a little bit of toe in at neutral stance helps the rear. Done right, these little adjustments go a long way in getting a little more out of the 510's speedo and living to tell the tail.

IMO the single most helpful thing you can do to improve a 510's handling is to add a bit of caster to the struts. It makes it a little tougher to steer at low speed, but it does magic for stability and instantly finding a straight line in a slide situation. Again check out the vid on page 1. At the end I go from 60 mph to 25 mph in a very short distance while sliding into the corner with no swapping, or jitter at all. With positive caster up front, in a slide I can point the front of the car where I want to go, take my foot off the break, let go of the wheel, and the car will correct itself perfectly. That is the benefit of a 50/50 weight ratio. Lets see a Dogge Hemi Charger do that. The ass end of the charger would come around like a slingshot as it pivots around all the weight of that fat front end. And yet, American car makers still produce the same obese neanderthal "muscle car" platform. The sad thing is SCCA had to give American manufacturers their own GT class "GTA" so they could compete without being embarrassed. And once again we can romanticize and celebrate our mediocrity.

• Like 1

Unmarked yes.. but then focused to pull over to yellow lights..

It ened up me lane changing past him while he was driving in the lane next to me.. did not want to pull over to yellow lights.. When I did stop he 'the cop' first said you know how fast you we're going, didn't let me answer the question then said I was lucky I wasn't pulled from my car with his gun to my head. He thought I was going to run because of the time it took me to pull over.. remember yellow lights.. not red and blues..

I don't speed much now.

With a stock rear end with 4.375 gears and then combine that with 205/50/15 tires (not sure what you actually have) and a 5th gear of .759 would come out to 133 MPH @ 6300 RPM. Would need to know whether you have the stock rear end or not and your tire size to get a closer calculation.

According to my calculator designed by Dave Lum, your top speed with mentioned tire size, gearing and rpm would be 123mph.

It took me a while to learn how to slow down on the street, and I still haven't got it totally out of my system. I got my first moving violation at 15 with my learner's permit. By the time I was 20yrs old I had racked up 24 moving violations and had my license taken away twice. I rationalized it was because I had a problem with authority, but honestly I was a stupid kid who didn't think the rules applied to me. In the past 30 years I've had 0 points on my record. Obviously, I haven't stopped driving fast all together, but I have learned to keep it under control. At least that's what I've rationalized.

• Like 1

It took me a while to learn how to slow down on the street, and I still haven't got it totally out of my system. I got my first moving violation at 15 with my learner's permit. By the time I was 20yrs old I had racked up 24 moving violations and had my license taken away twice. I rationalized it was because I had a problem with authority, but honestly I was a stupid kid who didn't think the rules applied to me. In the past 30 years I've had 0 points on my record. Obviously, I haven't stopped driving fast all together, but I have learned to keep it under control. At least that's what I've rationalized.

Your story is my story too. At one time I had 24 points on my driving record, I had to have a face to face interview with a DMV official as to why I deserved a driver's license, cops would pull me over on sight. At one point I was in traffic school and the second day I brought in my printed driving record as show and tell. The instructor had me help teach the class.

Once I was on my way to teach a NASA driving school at Sears Point and I was pulled over in Vallejo for speeding. When the cop asked why I was in such a hurry, I told him it was because I was late to teach people how to drive. He impounded my car. Didn't arrest me though.

I too was a hotrod kid, loved horsepower too much, couldn't keep the front wheel down on any motorcycle, still can't. Give me anything with HP and the adrenaline kicks in. That's why I made the move to rock crawling, but then this whole King of the Hammers thing happened and I'm back on the juice. With luck I may survive my first race in 2015.

Now I drive a Dodge Cummins 4x4 that can smoke the tires off, but for some reason I manage to keep the speed down.

I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years.

• Like 1

Your story is my story too. At one time I had 24 points on my driving record, I had to have a face to face interview with a DMV official as to why I deserved a driver's license, cops would pull me over on sight. At one point I was in traffic school and the second day I brought in my printed driving record as show and tell. The instructor had me help teach the class.

Once I was on my way to teach a NASA driving school at Sears Point and I was pulled over in Vallejo for speeding. When the cop asked why I was in such a hurry, I told him it was because I was late to teach people how to drive. He impounded my car. Didn't arrest me though.

I too was a hotrod kid, loved horsepower too much, couldn't keep the front wheel down on any motorcycle, still can't. Give me anything with HP and the adrenaline kicks in. That's why I made the move to rock crawling, but then this whole King of the Hammers thing happened and I'm back on the juice. With luck I may survive my first race in 2015.

Now I drive a Dodge Cummins 4x4 that can smoke the tires off, but for some reason I manage to keep the speed down.

I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years.

I can relate but I didn't have all the issues with tickets some but not even close to you. We did all our speed fixes at Orange County International Raceway, or behind Ontario Motor Speed Way with The Brotherhood of Street Racers on a late Sunday Night before that area was all built in with people and it was awesome. Cops were pretty much non existant. I still love the GO but I do it a lot smarter now.

• Like 1

I had a friend tell me once that he did 135 in his stock '89 Honda CRX HF. I don't think so. That's kind of the reason I started this thread. I wanted to see if anyone had the monster story. So far everybody has been right on the mark.

:lol: I did 105 in an '84 crx HF, took forever to get there but it still had some left, not 20mph worth though

• 3 weeks later...

Brush with death,,,DOH!

1973, 17 years old in my `71 Datsun Truck. Back is filled with three guitars, three amps, PA's and mixing board along with two other passengers we're heading to a Gig. Toking a fatty on a residential wet road in Whittier, Ca leaving lead gutarists house. Running about 40mph see a bunch of friends sitting outside I swerve towards them just messin around when the back starts to really come around. I oppose the direction of slide with a quick twist of the wheel and hit the gas. We start to straighten out I let up on the gas and we again start to drift in the opposite direction YIKES!! OUR equipment. We slow down and didn't loose any equipment as it was tied down. But weird thing was that I didn't hit any of the parked cars on each side of the road. We toss the fatty, ck shorts and head off to our Gig. No more screwing around like that.

• Like 4

Fun stuff. I spun my Arrow around in the middle of a rather busy intersection in the rain a while back. I went into super conscious mega action hero movie mode and dropped that bitch into reverse and kept it going. Did a full 360 without leaving my lane and took off like a bat out of hell. Was pretty fucking amazing... and stupid. Could have been bad but I wish I had it on camera. Probably blew some peoples minds. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...