Will A 240 or 260z 4 speed fit L16?

allen dodson

Hi. I have tow good 4 speeds here. A 240z and a 260z 4 speed that i would like to use in place of my stock 4 speed in my 521 pickup. I think the Z car 4 speed will have closer gear ratios than the stock 521 4 speed. My question is will it fit? I think the Z trannys a little longer so a ne drive shaft will have to be found. But will the Z bolt up to the L16 block?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are correct. It will bolt up and it will be too long.

if you take the time to do a custom rear tranny mount and have the driveshaft shortened then you have options for long tail transmissions. (z car 5-speed) in the future. Those are much easier to find than other Datsun transmissions.

Hi. I have tow good 4 speeds here. A 240z and a 260z 4 speed that i would like to use in place of my stock 4 speed in my 521 pickup. I think the Z car 4 speed will have closer gear ratios than the stock 521 4 speed. My question is will it fit? I think the Z trannys a little longer so a ne drive shaft will have to be found. But will the Z bolt up to the L16 block?

Rather than shortening your drive shaft, get the front drive shaft from a '74-'79 620 that already has the longer 4 or 5spd in it. You will still have to fab a rear tranny mount for the 521.