How do you Insure your datsun?

cdub42

I was rummaging around my insurance policy website and decided I better up the coverage on my 240z. I wanted to add comp and collision to it after a near miss by an asshole running a light in mojave, and someone backing into my front bumper and fucking it up. I set the changes and it's asking me for the "stated value" of my car. This got me a little spooked. If I go by the SoCal going rate (according to craigslist at least) value of a car similar to mine (badass) is gonna jack my insurance way the hell up, vs the kbb or bluebook value which would total the car out if someone crosses their eyes and stares at it wrong. I daily drive my car as all datsuns should be, so I don't think classic car coverage will work since I'll exceed the miles limit. How do you guys go about it?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going for full coverage, look into Hagerty. Its a branch of Allstate specifically for older cars. You gotta pay the insurance up front, I think per year, but it's cheaper than trying to get full normal insurance.

There are a few others that can do the same thing, but Hagardy is the biggest classic car insurance I know of. Once I get my truck more fixed up, I will be switching over to it myself.

If you're going for full coverage, look into Hagerty. Its a branch of Allstate specifically for older cars. You gotta pay the insurance up front, I think per year, but it's cheaper than trying to get full normal insurance.

There are a few others that can do the same thing, but Hagardy is the biggest classic car insurance I know of. Once I get my truck more fixed up, I will be switching over to it myself.

Hagerty is great if you don't drive your car daily but the OP does. Sure, you might get away with it but is it worth the risk? The nice thing about Hagerty is that they don't have a mileage limit, but one of their rules is that you keep your car garaged at night. I don't daily my car and it's hard to beat them at $125/year.

I also have Hagerty, but they are not a daily driver insurance company as far as I know.

I found that every time I insure a car with classic car insurance, I hardly drive it anymore.

Going with full coverage is going to get you in the wallet, as basically they are having to insure everyone else, so either take the chance, or pay.

Let us understand how this works, basically if say someone hit your car with collector plates in a shopping center parking lot, if they decided they didn't want to pay, you likely would not win unless you were on a rod run with other classic cars/trucks with you, as you are not supposed to be shopping for food or anything else with your collector car/truck, it is not classic car related.

It works the other way also, if you were to get into an accident while going to the bank/store/girl friends house, the classic car insurance company could ask you to show what car related event you were coming from or driving to, if you cannot prove it was classic car related, they don't have to pay, your rolling the dice every time you drive it as a daily.

The DOL/DMV told me that classic car rules are basically dictated by the insurance company, whatever rules they have are what is law, and don't get caught hauling anything in a truck with classic plates, your not even supposed to haul an ice chest/cooler, as classic trucks are not paying tonnage, they are not supposed to haul anything.

All this said, I drive my NL320 to the golf course with my clubs in the back every once in a while, all I can say is WTF, I want to drive it at least once a month.

Hagerty is a good way to go, and for the whole you can't daily drive argument, not supposed to drive a car with collector plates daily either, but I did it for 3 years.....only got pulled over once...

• Like 1

Right now I run liability only because my truck is a POS, but someday when I get the money to fix it up nice I want some sort of full coverage insurance. And that Hagarty's sounds like a pain in the ass. Garage? No, don't have one. And I am not going to let it sit all the time either, I don't care what kind of vehicle I own, I like to DRIVE THEM! So what other options are there?

Right now I run liability only because my truck is a POS, but someday when I get the money to fix it up nice I want some sort of full coverage insurance. And that Hagarty's sounds like a pain in the ass. Garage? No, don't have one. And I am not going to let it sit all the time either, I don't care what kind of vehicle I own, I like to DRIVE THEM! So what other options are there?

Exactly the only things meant to sit stored in a closed "box" is a china set ....given by a Japanese president or something ...

• Like 1

you have lots of options now 

now all you have to do is figure out how much is it worth to you and how you want to insure it 

is it easily replaceable? if you crashed it can you get another shell cheap to swap parts over ?

call several companies and ask what your options are on all of the advice you have been given