My 720 Resto

720inOlyWa

Belt tensioners use an ordinary sealed bearing you can change out.  No need to replace the pulleys.

So I discovered today! Way cool. It is colder than shit right now, so it might have to wait a day or two to go back in. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I took your advice, Charlie, and spent Christmas Eve with the relatives, at least two of whom were very sick and should not have been there. So now look what good it did me: I have been suffering through the worst head cold ever experienced in human history over the last few days. Thanks, rellies. Happy whatever to you, too. I’d like to rip my nose off my face so that II could really get in there and scratch whatever it driving me crazy, once and for all. It’s only a nose. Michael Jackson didn’t need one.

So we have finally found out what it takes to keep me away from the trucks for a few days: the brutal bug. (Full disclosure, I did stop by Les Schwaub for a set of safety-siped tires yesterday, but that was the sum total of my activity for the week, so far. I had hoped it might make me feel better. It idid.)

You do not want this bug, man. Brutal!

• Like 1

Well, you could have told me so- and several did!

I forget now just who told me that my ‘junker head gasket rebuild’ would be good for only 4,000 miles or so, then I would be right back where I began. I need to remember, because I am at 3,984 since the key turned again, and that person wins the prize! I can tell she is starting to leak a little, so I have grounded the Fudgecicle, until the head gasket job has been redone correctly. I began to pull it apart today, with an eye towards jerking the engine this weekend, if it is doesn’t rain.

So I took a gamble and lost, like everyone said I would. Oh well. I enjoyed the last few months of driving so much that it is really a bit of a relief and a delight to tear it all down and start fresh. I enjoy seeing the fresh engine rebuilds in the Ratsun treads, and I know how good it feels to drive a vehicle where everything is like new again. So I’m excited to get it out of there and down to Johnson’s machine shop.

• Like 1

Nice and I see its a kangaroo head....

Why... you’re right! I hadn’t noticed that before. Toss another head on the barbie!

Supposedly, harder valve seats, better guides, and a little more aluminum near the seats. We shall see... I do like that it is Aussie made, however. They love their 720s over there almost as much as they did on Guam!

• Like 2

A roo head!

I am psyched! I can’t tell you why, but I am psyched. Those Aussies are decent blokes, hardly a barstid amongst ‘em. They know their trucks and they operate them in a harsh environment- all good signs for my ‘roo head. They know how to race sailboats real good, too. I may need to take a flat file and face up and polish my little ‘roo there. I am psyched!  As I type this post, I am whittling down my work list for the day with an eye towards pulling the top off of my 720. Maybe I can get it all buttoned back up by tomorrow afternoon, if I get on a wave. Good news is, this is all territory that has recently seen and experienced my cleaning and lubrication wrath, so it should all come apart fairly easily. This time I don’t have to learn that you have to shoot the lower rear intake manifold nut with a flexible and long extension on the ratchet wrench. Should go nicely.

I have had an old school torque wrench, the kind with the pointy bar that sweeps across the little plate with numbers, for many years. It works okay, if you pay attention. I think that it works fine. But ever since I began working on the Rolls Merlin engines at the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum, I have wanted a clicker type torque wrench. I mean, that’s the real deal, isn’t it? Well, I sprung for one yesterday. Stopped at Sears and walked out with a cylinder hone and a clicker torque wrench with a 14 mm, 1/2 inch drive deep socket. Just imagine, if you can, the sense of contentment I am going to enjoy when I torque on my new ‘roo head tomorrow with my clicker torque wrench. Holy shit, a happy man!

• Like 2

Did the engine bay tear down today. Ready to remove the head tomorrow.

If I decide to do the rings, which I well might, do I have to pull the engine to do it? And if I have to pull the engine, is it easier to just pull the engine without the trans, with all of the head, etc.. removed, as opposed to pulling it with the tranny too?

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to do engine internal work with the engine on an engine stand, you have to remove the rod ends, so you have to remove the oil pan, doing all that under a truck is a pain in the ass, and a pain in the neck also, pull the engine if your going to do rings, it should be measured anyway if your re-ringing it, maybe it needs bored.

Leave the trans in, drop the idler arm down when un-installing and installing engine,

Did the engine bay tear down today. Ready to remove the head tomorrow.

If I decide to do the rings, which I well might, do I have to pull the engine to do it? And if I have to pull the engine, is it easier to just pull the engine without the trans, with all of the head, etc.. removed, as opposed to pulling it with the tranny too?

• Like 1

If you can get the oil pan off, you could probably do rings with the engine in. But then you'll have to roll under it to unbolt the rods and push them up.

I think it'd be easier to do with the engine out. Its easiest to pull the engine with the transmission and separate once they are out. I think the chain hooks are bolted into the head, so it'd be easier to pull with the head.

You'll have to remove the hood also. Be sure to mark how the hinges line up.

• Like 1

It's a lot easier to do engine internal work with the engine on an engine stand, you have to remove the rod ends, so you have to remove the oil pan, doing all that under a truck is a pain in the ass, and a pain in the neck also, pull the engine if your going to do rings, it should be measured anyway if your re-ringing it, maybe it needs bored.

Leave the trans in, drop the idler arm down when un-installing and installing engine,

That does it- Im pulling it. 

• Like 2

When removing hood....drill an 1/8" hole thru hinge and hinge pocket in hood(both sides). U can then slip in the shank of an 1/8 bit to re-align holes later on. Don't drill all the way thru the hood..... Dab some good oil based paint on bare metal where u drilled.....or some vaseline/crisco if that is all u have. U can use same method when removing doors/trunklids, etc.

• Like 2

If you are going to re-ring.....avoid over-boring if possible. Only remove .010 if that cleans them up. Bigger pistons move slower due to reciprocating mass...in other words bigger pistons accelerate and decelerate slower. I'd use soft cast rings(on orig pistons) and put a good crosshatch in bores w/flex hone. I think bumping compression via decking block ok.....USE A TORQUE PLATE WHEN BORING/HONING(crank mains, head bolts need to be in place and torqued B4 u machine OR MEASURE). If machine shop doesn't have one....find different machine shop.

• Like 2

As we are pulling things apart again, we are rebuilding them thoroughly, as needed.

I felt some play in the upper idler pulley, so when I removed it, I set it aside for further inspection. Then I scanned the threads here for the one about replacing idler pulley bearings and set about beating it all apart last night. I figured it would be better to replace the bearings with new rather than find one with just as many miles on it in a junk yard.

This morning, I found the bearings locally and pressed them into the pulley using my vise. The old bearings had King Tuts grease in them and despite being internal to the pulley, their open faces allowed dirt and grime in. They weren’t toast yet, but they were getting there. Once cleaned, they were loosey goosey and crunchy too! The job of replacing them was fun and satisfying. The new bearings are sealed. I got enough for the upper and lower pulleys.

BEARINGSOUT_zps49d0c4e2.jpg

BEARINGSIN_zpsd1bb0818.jpg

All ready to go. A good rainy day project, I got the lower one off before the squalls hit. It is apart and soaking now.

DONEFRONTAL_zpsc41b9364.jpg

I wish there was a rattle can version of this paint. Rustoleum satin finish ‘Lagoon’ blue aint quite it. I really like this color. I know it’s baked enamel.

IDLERBACK_zpsaf0e763d.jpg

• Like 1

If you are going to re-ring.....avoid over-boring if possible. Only remove .010 if that cleans them up. Bigger pistons move slower due to reciprocating mass...in other words bigger pistons accelerate and decelerate slower. I'd use soft cast rings(on orig pistons) and put a good crosshatch in bores w/flex hone. I think bumping compression via decking block ok.....USE A TORQUE PLATE WHEN BORING/HONING(crank mains, head bolts need to be in place and torqued B4 u machine OR MEASURE). If machine shop doesn't have one....find different machine shop.

I think you'll find that over size pistons are the same weight as the 'smaller' stock ones. Even if a few grams different they will...

1/ run better compression and power than what they are replacing and...

2/ there is a small displacement increase.

• Like 2