POST CARS YOU CANT STAND

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go as far as saying Subaru's are fun to work on.

I like that they're a bit challenging.

All in all, it's just nuts and bolts.

Put it in my stall. I'll do those head gaskets all day long if I could.

No one ever said the Subaru was easier to work on than the K20, or any Honda motor.

I said my preference was to.

It's all personal perspective I think. I find for your run of the mill cars, the most difficult, or more accurately put, 'angering'  vehicles for me to mess with is American stuff. Not the old classic shit of course, I can do that in my sleep for the most part. But so much of the newer stuff is not really what I would call 'complex' but just that they will build the car around...I dunno, the heater core and that in itself sucks, but the shit you have to take apart to get to it crumbles like aged cheese and will rarely go back to the way it fit before you took it off. I don't find that on Toyotas, Subarus or alike, the shit actually has some quality to it and goes right back in.

I will say though, the little bit of work I have done on my newer Dodge truck has not been too awful bad, but I do see some shit on it that looks as if it would be a nightmare if I had to mess with it.

• Like 1

I think there is some generational perspective here too. If you grew up with modern Subura's, transverse V6's, and almost everything having timing belt a lot of this is just what's normally involved to you. But if you grew up with straight sixes in engine compartments big enough to camp in it or air cooled VW's etc. it's hard to love working modern stuff.

Part of what I love about old skool rides, not so much stuff packed into a small space.

^yes!.  I just keep buying older cars as I go.  (for me, not the wife)  Then I try to remove as much as I can to make even more room.  I need to start putting wingnuts on everything so I don't even need tools anymore.  I seriously wish engineers mot more weight on finished result serviceability.  My Mercedes had the oil filter right next to the valve cover lid.  Nothing in the way, and extremely easy to change.  Air filter, same story.  So I suppose I am saying, I love old cars because there is enough access to service the engine.  But newer cars need only to consider design over build cost, and all would be good enough.  

sweet thread, lots of hate. Being that i love most things with motors, its actually not that easy.

I hate miatas especially earlier ones, mostly cause they are WAY over priced for what they are, but also cause i don't like how little power they have or how they handle. I know they handle well but that doesn't mean i like em. I had one for a couple weeks, COULD NOT like it for the life of me. They look dumb too.

mitsubishi eclipse, its super white trash in the north east. If you found one with a functioning headgasket, no cigarette burns, and less than 12 empty monster cans in it within 300 miles of my house i'd be surprised.

gas powered super dutys, really ford? a 5.4 liter in a 7000+ lb truck? I have no idea what a gas truck actually weighs, but my 06 f250 crew cab short bed diesel weights 8040 on the scales with just me. How is a tiny gas motor without forced induction going to move something that heavy? especially if you put something in it, or behind it. Also the spark plugs corrode and get stuck in the heads and snap off, and most of the exhaust manifolds crack.

subaru baja. WTF are you going to do with a 3' bed?, nice work you just made your station wagon useless.

94 toyota tercel. My mom had one, worst car i have ever been in. It was reliable, but they probably had 10k engineering hours tring to figure out what to take out to make it as shitty as possible. Radio didn't have memory for favorite stations, only one outside mirror on drivers side, a 4 speed tranny, and the worst headlights i've ever seen.

I completely agree with the previous mentioned neons, pt cruisers, hhr, and the ever hated prius.

I don't really even have anything against a prius. Where i am (maine, lots of snow, cold) they get dick for mileage in the winter cause they need to run their mousetrap for heat, and the people that drive them just suck. They send a lot of hate my way when they see my truck which probably doesn't help our relationship.

I must not be an enthusiast, I never go to the track....

Ah, but how are we defining enthusiasm? Am I not enthusiastic if I wear checkered underwear, play the sound track to Gran Prix while driving, and tack off ramps faster than the recommended speed? Can someone be a track enthusiast and not actually go to a track? Does simply going to a track make you an authority on all things car? Life is full of unanswered question like these. Mystical isn't it.

• Like 1

I think there is some generational perspective here too. If you grew up with modern Subura's, transverse V6's, and almost everything having timing belt a lot of this is just what's normally involved to you. But if you grew up with straight sixes in engine compartments big enough to camp in it or air cooled VW's etc. it's hard to love working modern stuff.

Part of what I love about old skool rides, not so much stuff packed into a small space.

I think that is mostly true, but I grew up (and still have) old fat block shit, I drag race American powered stuff (for the most part) but I honestly do find the newer stuff to not be all THAT bad to work on. It's just a different approach to tuning or diagnosing a problem is all. Most older guys (like me) get into the whole "change is bad" sort of mindset, I myself like to learn new things as much as I can, I find it fun. There really are not many cars that I just flat out hate (which I found out means that I don't know anything and drive nothing but junk), the thing is...often times, something that is quirky and has its issues is kinda neat to me personally, but I enjoy working on my stuff.The only thing I hardly ever mess with (or have to) is my newer diesel truck and I find myself just not giving much of a shit about it. When it grows moss on it, I will wash it off, yet, I have cars that are a bit of a pain in the ass that are kept spotless, loved and kept in my heated shop.

You could not water board me into giving even the slightest of a fuck about what makes a car good or bad by the type of hat someone wears, I care about what IIIIIIIIIII like.

• Like 1

Ah, but how are we defining enthusiasm? Am I not enthusiastic if I wear checkered underwear, play the sound track to Gran Prix while driving, and tack off ramps faster than the recommended speed? Can someone be a track enthusiast and not actually go to a track? Does simply going to a track make you an authority on all things car? Life is full of unanswered question like these. Mystical isn't it.

If you have an orange sock then yes, enthusiast.

Its my opinion that a true enthusiast drives on the race track, at very least once in a while. You dont have to agree, but thats my very subjective and bias opinion based on my experiences.

And if you havent been to the track you should go, Its an awesome experience that will teach you a ton about driving, unless you think you know it all already, then dont bother its a waste of your time as you must be perfect already. Most tracks require some instruction and possibly entry level licensing before they will allow you to actually drive on track with other cars, and the track fee. Just use a medium brake pad from someone like Hawk or EBC and summer performance tires and you will have a blast. This applies to trucks too, theres several trucks that drive at track days around here.

AutoX is also pretty sweet. Not something I do because I am so busy.

Its my opinion that a true enthusiast drives on the race track, at very least once in a while. You dont have to agree, but thats my very subjective and bias opinion based on my experiences.

And if you havent been to the track you should go, Its an awesome experience that will teach you a ton about driving, unless you think you know it all already, then dont bother its a waste of your time as you must be perfect already. Most tracks require some instruction and possibly entry level licensing before they will allow you to actually drive on track with other cars, and the track fee. Just use a medium brake pad from someone like Hawk or EBC and summer performance tires and you will have a blast. This applies to trucks too, theres several trucks that drive at track days around here.

AutoX is also pretty sweet. Not something I do because I am so busy.

Have you ever seen days of thunder? Cole Trickle went to the track every day and didn't know dick about cars...

.....rubbin's racin...

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the handling of the Miata, you shouldn't be driving. ;)  I loved my Miata, closest thing to a street legal go-kart there is.  I just rode in Woodbury's supercharged Miata last autocross and that fucker rips, hard, and corners, hard.  It's a fucking riot!  The only thing I don't like about the Miata is the lack of space.

• Like 1