I shouldn't be allowed to own...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you flame the Fram filter the PO had installed as I did at first,  this happen twice and if you look close the filter is ballooned

IMAG0747_zpse12209f2.jpg

and after some searching I found out that it's not uncommon for these engines to have the oil pump pressure relief valve get stuck and the filter seal is the first thing to blow

Got to evaluate this engine first as I don't really know the condition of it.

I read that the problem is the pressure relief valve bore is aluminum and wears. If I don't find anything scary when I pull the pan I'd like fix it, get it running and do a compression test to know what I have even if I don't use it.

There are so many other great motors I could put in there and it would be nice not being tied to BMW for power

• Like 1

Fixed the pressure relief valve, reinstalled the engine and fired it, makes lots of ugly noises so I'm calling this a core.

Time to look other directions as I don't really see a sick BMW M10 a good fun for the money option

• Like 1

Got to evaluate this engine first as I don't really know the condition of it.

I read that the problem is the pressure relief valve bore is aluminum and wears. If I don't find anything scary when I pull the pan I'd like fix it, get it running and do a compression test to know what I have even if I don't use it.

There are so many other great motors I could put in there and it would be nice not being tied to BMW for power

With "Teutonic gall" BMW obviously intends that their engines will last forever or until the first front end crash!  I had a 2002 Coupe and did not suffer a front end crash, so it lasted long enough to need a new water pump.  Guess what!  The factory installs the water pump and hose to the engine block before installing the engine accessories and installing it in the chassis.  A 4 inch hose with about 1 and a half inch clearance to the block.  Just try to chance that pump without pulling the whole engine and transmission assembly.  I did it!  I think I still have the scars on my knuckles!  That being said, That 2002 was one hell of a car!  By the way, it had an automatic transmission [ZF] without an external fluid cooler!

"With "Teutonic gall" BMW obviously intends that their engines will last forever or until the first front end crash!  I had a 2002 Coupe and did not suffer a front end crash, so it lasted long enough to need a new water pump.  Guess what!  The factory installs the water pump and hose to the engine block before installing the engine accessories and installing it in the chassis.  A 4 inch hose with about 1 and a half inch clearance to the block.  Just try to chance that pump without pulling the whole engine and transmission assembly.  I did it!  I think I still have the scars on my knuckles!  That being said, That 2002 was one hell of a car!  By the way, it had an automatic transmission [ZF] without an external fluid cooler!"

I know the M10 engine has a good pedigree but I think I'd be happier with something else. This is my seventh BMW, they're not bad when running good but the cost of rebuilt long blocks and transmissions can take some of the fun out of it.

Before I get flamed for sharing this l'll state the goal for the car:

TORQUE, Not a track car, a road trip car

Not interested in an engine designed to spin high RPMs. I want an engine that's happy pulling in 5th gear.

A heavy long stroke truck 4 cylinder would be perfect.

The 2.7 3RZ has got my attention. I already have a 5spd with the right bellhousing and passenger car gear ratios.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Problem gone

IMAG0802_zpsbf8c3ad0.jpg

Going to see if I can use the lower front apron of a early seventies Volvo front panel I have to replace this. I like the look and function of the vented slots.

2015-Volvo-142-Vallaringkra-PMCG-4-1200x

Then add a small chin spoiler like this, I like the look and it will also help direct air through the vents

IMG_2781_zps64ec8b31.jpg

• Like 3

That's funny, I have already bought parts from him.

He's on here too, he's has a 510 goon, 521, & a early Z as well as 3 2002s in the family

D,

Not sure how I missed the thread, but glad your back in the game, Let me know if I can keep my eyes out for anything to help get this on the road by the Summer.

bmw-2002ti-alpina-3d-rendering_3.jpg

I'm looking for a set of those earlier short rear bumper ends. Mine rap all the way to the rear wheel well

• 1 month later...

Problem gone

IMAG0802_zpsbf8c3ad0.jpg

Going to see if I can use the lower front apron of a early seventies Volvo front panel I have to replace this. I like the look and function of the vented slots.

volvo-142-lowered-stance-works_zps426bde

Then add a small chin spoiler like this, I like the look and it will also help direct air through the vents

IMG_2781_zps64ec8b31.jpg

Got the lower valance cleaned up, happy no filler or rust

IMAG0822_zpsbc38c01a.jpg

6b9ebcf2-6b95-4607-8a1b-aea293e45005_zps

• Like 2