An open unapology

HF just brought out a new box. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/56-in-11-drawer-glossy-red-industrial-roller-cabinet-67681.html

56". I think the drawers are 22" deep. 

If you have the room or are a pro-it's a really nice box for the $800. 

If my work didn't provide us with our Snap-On boxes I would seriously consider that one. 

I've had boxes from SO, MAC, and Matco. Probably never again. 

The $400 box they have is fairly legit too. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hit or miss on getting good stuff from there. 

There tools have gotten a lot better as of late. 

I'm a pro. I will easily admit that I own more HF stuff than I do Craftsman. And that's in my work box!

All my hardline stuff is Snap-On. But I use quite a few things daily from HF that serves me well. 

Crfsmn..... Their air tools suck ass, started adding all these plastic features that take about four seconds to remove and modify.

flea market line really good tho.

btw? What is hidden mystyc behind the 10mm wrench? Its like a little fucking witch that disappears or is never in stock.

• Like 2

Have a Crft and Snpon tool box love em both....but most of the stuff I use on a regular basis is in the crft box

Hey, what the hell was this thread about in the first place?

Toolz I think.

and increasing diplomatic tensions between Australia and  Canada

you gotta be carefull what you say online when dealing with other cultures, these old timers don't f@ck around AT ALL !

I used to work at home depot. The only thing I ever saw returned for. was huge fucking dents in the back thanks to the fork lift drivers...

Mine has a small dent in the back. Noticed it when I unpacked it.. Not enough to make a difference for me.  I use this at home, so it's not like I am going to load 1500 lbs of tools in it.  The top drawer holds the most I think. Because its all wrenches/sockets/impact sockets...

I have one of those bazillion dollar Snap-on boxes that you could live in if you needed to. I gotta be honest and it fuckin pains me to say this, but it's really not all that great. There are no real problems with it, but a friend of mine has a relatively large Kobalt box, I swear that it's better made than my Snap-on and I could have bought like 10 of them for what I paid for mine. 

That....and probably 70% of my tools are Snap-on, about the only ones I have not broken at one time or another are the fuckin end wrenches. Just this last week, my super duper Snap-on torque wrench broke, sending my hand sailing into the firewall. Yeah, I finished torquing the bolts with a craftsman torque wrench that I bought in 1987 (same one, never been replaced). 

Lets just say that when I think about what I have spent on this shit over the years, I have some pretty heavy buyers remorse.

In my opinion, snap-on established a really great name in tool quality over many years, they are getting close to being around for 100 years. But, sometime, probably around 15 to 20 years ago, they started to lose that quality and even feel cheaper in your hand. Still the same sky high prices mind you.

The thing is, they know that most people are brand loyal and would buy a pile a lama shit if it had a snap-on badge, then defend the quality of said lama shit to the end. So they take advantage of this by selling lower grade stuff than they once did.

Sure, I always get new snap-on tools replaced without any problem when I break one, but they should not break that easy. I have a new snap-on 1/2 air drill here in my box, it's a gutless fuckin turd, my cordless Dewalt is 10 times better. I will have the snap-on stuff that I already bought forever, because I will keep having it replaced, but when I buy new these days, it's normally Husky, Craftsman or Kobalt. Now and then I need something that is a specialty tool and for this, I still have to go to snap-on, but Craftman is catching up with a lot of that stuff.

In my opinion, Fram established a really great name in oil filter quality over many years, they are getting close to being around for 100 years. But, sometime, probably around 15 to 20 years ago, they started to lose that quality and even feel cheaper in your hand. Still the same sky high prices mind you.

The thing is, they know that most people are brand loyal and would buy a pile a lama shit if it had a Fram badge, then defend the quality of said lama shit to the end. So they take advantage of this by selling lower grade stuff than they once did.

fixed

If there is something that I have to trust while using it-it will say Snap-On on the handle. 

All my hardline stuff is SO. Very few MAC, even less Matco and Cornwell. 

I stopped supporting Craftsman years ago when I tried to warranty a few sockets while wearing my work uniform. 

"We can't take care of that. Our tools are not designed for professional use." WHAT!?!

I haven't noticed the decline in quality. Yet, I hardly ever break a tool. 

Hell, I broke my first SO ratchet just a month ago. Had this 1/4" ratchet for 15ish years. Cracked the case cover. 

The new rubber/plastic screwdriver handles suck. Other than that-zero complaints. 

• Like 1

Kolbalt/snap-on.

kabalclose_zps91c1de4f.jpg

False! The original stuff was made by Williams/Snap-On. But that was only their original offerings.

Kobalt and Craftsman are both made by Danaher. The same company that makes Matco's stuff. 

In 2011, again, LOWE'S switched the manufacturer of their tool line. JS Products. Who? 

Husky stuff is made by Stanley. Stanley also owns MAC and many other tool companies. 

Cornwell? Themselves. 

Snap-On? Themselves. 

• Like 1