Feels like autumn.

DatMo

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures tell a thousand words.

The pack should come apart by itself. The c clamps don't even hold the pack together, they are just there so the leafs don't fan out. If it was actually clamped the leafs wouldn't work as intended.

• Like 1

Hammer time

Tried this.

Nothing.

Pictures tell a thousand words.

The pack should come apart by itself. The c clamps don't even hold the pack together, they are just there so the leafs don't fan out. If it was actually clamped the leafs wouldn't work as intended.

Well here's a picture.

springs_zpsq1qfqrg7.jpg

The bolt on the bottom is broken off so I'm not sure what's holding it together at all? I just put the clamp btw on the side lol. 

I'd say it's likely glued in place by rust or bound up. Get a c clamp on the entire pack and punch out the center pin from the bottom. Oh and the suggestion of rounding off a bolt to use as a center pin us a good one. Just make sure it's a hardened grade.

• Like 1

So i bought some better c clamps and I just need to get the damn pin out... I'm not sure how I'm going to though.

I've literally hammered the shit out of it. it even pooped lol.

But should I try to drill it out? I'm so closeeeee.

At this point I'm super irritated.

So i drilled out the screw and that worked fine. As i went a bit it all unraveled.

block%20struggle_zpsuth2ab9o.jpg

I got a new bolt and etc.

Now I can't seem to get the block to fit into the hole. 

The hole that the block fits into on the axel is much smaller so I shaved this off a bit and it's a little bit better but I can't get the u-bolts in!!!

The u-bolts would need to bend to fit.

I'm not sure what to do...

I may shave a bit more off the blocks on top to get it to fit. flush? I jacked it from the bottom and tried and etc.

I can get one u-bolt in and one half of the other but then it's not centered on the pin....

Please help :(

Did you get new U-bolts?

I would just drill the hole in the axle a bit larger for the pin in the block to go in.

Bolt leaf pack back together. Place block on leafs. Place axle on blocks. Gravity should hold it all together, with very little gap between any of it. Then bolt together with U bolts.

Source: I have done many many many lift kits on trucks and have experienced every problem I can think of.

Also, pics. They help say what words fail at.

• Like 1

Did you get new U-bolts?

I would just drill the hole in the axle a bit larger for the pin in the block to go in.

Bolt leaf pack back together. Place block on leafs. Place axle on blocks. Gravity should hold it all together, with very little gap between any of it. Then bolt together with U bolts.

Source: I have done many many many lift kits on trucks and have experienced every problem I can think of.

Also, pics. They help say what words fail at.

I don't have a drillbit big enough for the axle hole so I'll grind a bit more off the block itself.

Thank you.

I did get new u-bolts but they didn't rounded ones but so i got square ones.

Is that okay or should I return them and get a set online??

I'll try to grind some more off the block this weekend and I'm praying that it takes away that bit of angle so the u-bolts will slip in. 

Also just to make sure again.

With angled blocks, the lower part is placed forward correct?

Yes, lower part to front.

Um, I would get round bolts. Square is not what your car takes. That just sounds unsafe.

Your biggest issue, 510 axles have a smaller diameter than what is normal, and thus is a bit hard to find... Most seem to get them custom made. While others just use off the shelf ones and bend them to fit.

Wait now... The hole in the axle perch is smaller than 1"? That's odd... Shoot me a pm and we'll get it sorted.

How is the block assembly interfering with the ubolt install? Understand that the block needs to sit flush to the underside of the axle perch before you can assemble the ubolts. Looks like the axle is teetering on top of the block currently... Because the upper pin diameter is too large?

The square ones will work if they are used with the square end on the spring side and have the proper rounded plate for the axle side, if not then get the round u bolts that are appropriate.

Very strange that it is not wanting to stay together, are the shocks installed and tweaking it one direction?

Is the other side bolted together still? Also it looks like you didn't use a bolt to bring the leaf pack back together. If you don't have a bolt head to center everything up on the leaf, you're going to have a hell of a time lining everything up.

Well I've been talking to some people and I've reached certain points. The bolts that I got from napa were 8.25 and I need 9. I was unable to get the bolt threaded all the way with 8.25. I've never had this much frustration. Instslk Installing blocks was much easier first few times around