520 radiator overflow

XXL

Is the 520 supposed to have a catch can/overflow tank/recovery tank for the cooling system or does it just burp fluid out onto the ground from the factory?  If the former, can someone post a picture of what the tank looks like and where it is located?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On to the ground, the rubber hose drops down the side of the radiator.

Thanks.  Mine is "correct," then... I just need to monitor it a little more closely and top it off from time to time.  Now that I'm in TX, the truck is getting a little warmer... and pushing fluid out as it heats, but since there's not recovery tank, it's just gone... so when it cools back down, there's less fluid in the radiator.

Thanks.  Mine is "correct," then... I just need to monitor it a little more closely and top it off from time to time.  Now that I'm in TX, the truck is getting a little warmer... and pushing fluid out as it heats, but since there's not recovery tank, it's just gone... so when it cools back down, there's less fluid in the radiator.

You can always put a recovery tank in it, I use one of them B210/210 tanks myself, I use the radiator cowl shroud mount screws to hold it in position.

DSCN1712.JPG

You also need the correct rad cap that allows the coolant to siphon back into the rad when it cools. I had a bottle to collect the coolant but you have to manually open the rad and pour it back in... when cold. Have done this very week when driving it. Went out to my junk pile and found the correct one just before Canby. Have checked and the rad is staying full ever since.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to kickstart an old thread but I'm hoping to retrofit a radiator overflow on my J15. I'm in AZ and it's hot--I'm afraid without one I'd be constantly having to refill my radiator. 

I've got my eyes open for a B210 tank like the one pictured above but does anyone else have pictures of retrofit overflow? Any details on the type of cap I'll need to allow the siphon action or what I should look for? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

ANY container will do even a beer can, but larger is better and one from another Nissan looks more professional. The 620s had a larger one and bolt on clip to hold it.

With the proper rad cap and container your coolant losses are a couple of cups a year.