• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:36 AM, Datsun pickup said:

The hazards work just fine, but the turn signals don’t work. Would it be the turn signal switch?

12 minutes ago, Datsun pickup said:

Is the turn signal switch the culprit of the problem?

First the 720 has a known problem with the 4 way emergency flasher switch. Turn ignition on and signal left or right. Make sure the emergency 4 way switch is all the way OFF, now slowly push the switch towards ON. When the turn signal starts working, stop.

Doesn't help? Swap the 4 way flasher with the turn signal flasher. If turn signals start working then the flasher was bad.

There was no guarantee it was the flasher and why I said to swap with the 4 way flasher. Now you have a new but unknown if reliable part.

Can you do what I said to try with the 4 way flasher switch?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I’m guessing it’s the switch but no clue, my right blinker works fine while my left doesn’t do anything. It used to make a single click and the blinker light would come on the dash for a split second but the tail light itself didn’t do a thing. Now when I try to turn my blinker on i don’t even hear a click or get a dash light for it. Again it’s only the on left side, that’s what’s really getting me

720 turn signals and headlight switch are problematic. Short of replacing it, try flushing with spray electrical contact cleaner. The lube put on at the factory dries and also collects dust. Might be a good idea to remove the column assembly entirely to get at it. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 9:33 AM, datzenmike said:

Might be a good idea to remove the column assembly entirely to get at it. 

I am going to have to add this to the list, unfortunately. The junk ignition switch the P.O. put in is giving me a headache so I'm going to get into the hazard switch "while I'm in there" (RIP).

Right now the hazard switch seems to throw too far into the 'On' side and goes passed the point of engagement for 4-ways. I can get it to engage if I back it off a bit.

The turn signals stay on constantly and don't flash, but I don't have many lights connected (or cleaned and connected well) and haven't tried switching relays yet so I have some things to check there before I look into the 1-2 spots on the hazard switch. I think if the lights are coming on that 1-2 connection is okay anyway but I need to double check the FSM diagram.

When turning the 4 way flashers on, the turn signals are disconnected from their flasher unit first.

The 720 it's a well known problem that when turning the 4 way flasher off, the switch travels too far and over travels past the turn signal connect up. Just turn the turn signal on and slowly move the switch towards the 4 way position. When it makes contact and the turn signal begins flashing, stop.

Turn and 4 way stock flasher units are load sensitive. They need all bulbs working for the flasher to work. There are after market electronic flashers that flash regardless of bulb conditions