1978 620 vg30et

bigboy620

Wow I'm not a mechanic because I drive a BMW. Your right I'm not a certified mechanic. But I did do all the work/repairs on my 740il. I replaced : water pump/water pipes,radiator,fan,fan clutch, water heater pump/valves,timing chain tensioner,drive belt tensioner/belt,valve cover gaskets,intake gaskets,valley pan, camshaft position sensor,o2s,driveshaft coupler,driveshaft center support bearing,both rear wheel bearings,coilovers,Re upholster roof liner along with a,b&c pillars,3 window regulators etc. You get the idea. And yes these e38 have all these common faults. Here's a couple of pics of it. Don't assume man.

IMG_20131202_190010_zpszxoybvoq.jpg

IMG_20140427_191818_zps3tbyfpbc.jpg

IMG_20140701_223344_zps6unifjxa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you mis-understood the beemer comment.  I believe the point was that no mechanic would buy a BMW.  And to illustrate why, you can read your last comment on the common problems with these cars.  And you know the work isn't easy either.  That said, I fucking love BMW's.  Especially the 60's and 70's.  

Your truck, is just that, your truck.  Hainz and Mike have seen this thread pop up on here possibly 100 times already.  And the outcomes of those threads have educated their opinions.  I suppose you should consider these comments not personal in nature, but rather based on a bunch of others who have paved the way to failure.  Prove us wrong.  Just don't take on the project in spite, and accept the criticism as shared lessons.  It is very easy to lose motivation half way through a project such as this, and they/we just want you to know these points, and as well prepare yourself for the entirety of the project.  

Do you have a dedicated garage for a partially dismantled truck for the next year or more.  Do you have a hoist and stand?  Welder?  Cutting torch?  Compressor/Paint gun?  

The hate you feel is actually love.  But it's love for the truck.  What everyone wants to see is this truck driving around giving good times to the driver.  Almost 100% of the time this is the case with L series engines.  V8 swapped Datsuns likely have a sub 1% of the time fun factor when you consider unfinished projects.  Therefore, getting peoples hopes up would take some serious reputation points.  

If you take this on, we all want to see you finish.  No question!  

• Like 4

The hate you feel is actually love. But it's love for the truck. What everyone wants to see is this truck driving around giving good times to the driver. Almost 100% of the time this is the case with L series engines. V8 swapped Datsuns likely have a sub 1% of the time fun factor when you consider unfinished projects. Therefore, getting peoples hopes up would take some serious reputation points.

Correct.

Thats a cool truck.

a V8 620 is just not practicle after awhile.

HOt running. susupension would need work(front end heavy_. sticking a 350 trans up under neath that drive line mods. Torsion bars? spcial headers made.

Have you really reshearched this out and plan it?

You have a classic already(love the looks of it) and its already driving(meaning FREE!)

the list of imcomplete prjects on this site would be to big to print sinced the years on this site. Every now and then theres a few how can do it.

really figure 3-5$ k to even comeplete this even if motor is free. aits ezer to get another BMW or better yet use the money to find a 1st Gen M3

• Like 1

Just think you get thumbs up already driving a classic. and it aint costing you nothing!!!!!!!!!.

Theres a guy where I get coffee. Hes says Should put a V8 in there(i can tell a Chevy guy).

But I alwasy say to myself,Wheres your teeth, Why dont you do it ? As he gets in his Honda Accord .

Im telling ya . Dont do it. L20s are cheap and EZ to get if you need another motor and bolt right in. No figure yout torsion bar , headers ect... drivelines. Getting HOT!!!!!!!! Radiator mod bla bla bla.

KA are fast but been a few incomplete 521s up here In Washington. Wait long enough you can save one of those

• Like 1

I had a small block powered 240z.  The car was fun when going fast, but it wasn't a very comfortable car.  The two things that bugged me the most were exhaust heat coming up through the floor and eventually making the whole car hot and the heavy steering from all the extra weight on the front manual steering.  Those two things are probably the same things you are going to run into putting a v-8 into the 620.  It's really up to you and what you find acceptable.  I would never ride a crotch rocket for a daily ride, but there are those who do .

• Like 1

Most v-6s look like a nice fit to me.  I didn't like the 4.3 for the weght (it's an iron block) and its dismal horsepower rating. (something like 190HP)  The one I really like is the VQ35, light and plenty of power, but there are some expensive hurdles to overcome. The theft deterent system has to be overided or you run an after market ECU.  It's a front sump engine, but somebody makes a rear sump for it, but again not cheap. 

I'm not sure if AC is on your "gotta have" list, but look at how the compressor or any of the accesories you need are mounted on the engine.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...